Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vigil for mothers and unborn babies in Knock with alleged PAEDO protector Sean Brady

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jernal wrote: »
    Nor is gay marriage now, the majority seemingly support that yet the Church is taking a strong position on that.
    Interesting. Was the ghey wrong before there was a church? I'll bet molesting kids was....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

endacl wrote: »
    Interesting. Was the ghey wrong before there was a church? I'll bet molesting kids was....

Nothing wrong with the Gheys. Just their acts that have stuff wrong with them.
    Since the Church's inception? I'll leave that one to Ban or the resident savant Mr Wisnr. Suffice to say it's complicated and doesn't really reflect that greatly on the church. (Does anything?)

Nothing wrong with the Gheys.
    Of course there's not. Just clarifying the tongue-in-cheekiness of the post here. :)

Of course there's not. Just clarifying the tongue-in-cheekiness of the post here. :)

Nothing wrong with Gay People other than their demeaning of Marriage which apparently the Church holds absolute copyright over. Secularism, you see, is a concept they apparently don't wish to understand.

Nothing wrong with Gay People other than their demeaning of Marriage which apparently the Church holds absolute copyright over. Secularism, you see, is a concept they apparently don't wish to understand.
    Cool. Tongues in cheek all round. I thought I may have misjudged the tone of this thread. I've just been catching up over on the biscuit thread...

I think a quick history lesson might be in order. Wasn't there 'marriage' before the establishment of the xian church? Weren't Jebus' auld pair married? And before holygod claimed his 'droit du seigneur'? And as holygod-the-father, wasn't this a bit 'incesty' as well as a bit 'rapey'? Is this where the xian ambivalence on matters moral stems from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

recedite wrote: »
    Depending on how much you are revered by your people, you can be the "very reverend" "the very very reverend" or (as I like to style myself) "the most reverend".
    reverender? reverendest?

reverender? reverendest?
    And, 'in isolated instances', Reverandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cool. Tongues in cheek all round.

Thou shalt not put thine tongue in the cheek of a man as with a woman, for 'tis an abomination before God.

Weren't Jebus' auld pair married?

Hang on, so she's a virgin as far as he's concerned, but before he gets his bit she's knocked up by some other fella. Strong grounds for a church annulment there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ninja900 wrote: »
    Thou shalt not put thine tongue in the cheek of a man as with a woman, for 'tis an abomination before God.

Hang on, so she's a virgin as far as he's concerned, but before he gets his bit she's knocked up by some other fella. Strong grounds for a church annulment there.
    Annulment?! Joe had a hell of a case for stoning her to death. She's just lucky he was gullible to accept that 'knocked up by God' explanation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kylith wrote: »
    Annulment?! Joe had a hell of a case for stoning her to death. She's just lucky he was gullible to accept that 'knocked up by God' explanation.

Can you imagine going to claim Lone Parent's Allowance and telling the S.W. that the baby's daddy was God.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Can you imagine going to claim Lone Parent's Allowance and telling the S.W. that the baby's daddy was God.....

They'd have a hell of a time chasing him up for the child support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

ninja900 wrote: »

And remember your pregnant at 12 years old, child support would have been on his case for rape.

Nothing in the bible about gays anywhere, only more incorrect translations, I have a post on this somewhere in this place already.

And remember your pregnant at 12 years old, child support would have been on his case for rape.

Being God it would be hard for him to claim she looked over the age of consent...

Although I don't think there was an actual age of consent back then - more a case of it being 'gentlemanly' to wait until menstruation had begun.

Which in my case was aged 10.....:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Being God it would be hard for him to claim she looked over the age of consent...

Although I don't think there was an actual age of consent back then - more a case of it being 'gentlemanly' to wait until menstruation had begun.

Which in my case was aged 10.....:eek:

Good job no angels visited you then !!

Good job no angels visited you then !!

I don't think there was ever any danger of that happening. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bring out your angels Lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

MrPudding wrote: »
    Whilst I don't want to go all ISAW on your ass, I do not believe he committed a criminal offence as such an offence did not exist at the time.

Actually being an accessory to the crime after the fact* has itself been a crime for hundreds of years. Many people have found this fact out to their detriment.

*The technical term for what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Actually being an accessory to the crime after the fact* has itself been a crime for hundreds of years.
    Quite Interesting.
    To be an "accessory after the fact" it is not enough to merely know about the crime while failing to report it. The person needs to actively assist the criminal in effecting their escape, in other words, to take an active part in the cover-up.
    wiki wrote:
    An accessory after the fact may be, where a person, knowing a felony to have been committed, receives, relieves, comforts, or assists the felon. Therefore, to make an accessory ex post facto, it is in the first place requisite that he knows of the felony committed.
    In the next place, he must receive, relieve, comfort, or assist him. And, generally, any assistance whatever given to a felon, to hinder his being apprehended, tried, or suffering punishment, makes the assistor an accessory.
    Swearing the child victims to secrecy, and then assisting with the relocation of the felon seems to fit this description.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭swampgas

catallus wrote: »
    There are good aspects to Brady and there are bad aspects; I wouldn't be too zealous in condemning him for failing to report things that happened about 30 years ago. It wasn't on peoples' moral radar.

Do you honestly believe that the many victims of clerical abuse, including the 100 or so victims of Brendan Smyth, would agree with you? Sean Brady should have resigned, in disgrace, ages ago.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Smyth

I know! He was only god for a relatively short period until he left Cream and turned into Eric Clapton. Shame...

• Advertisement

I know! He was only god for a relatively short period until he left Cream and turned into Eric Clapton. Shame...

That actually explains why I have never experienced god - the mere sight of a fender stratocaster makes me run for the hills.

Edit: argh my unthinking use of a common phrase won't summon him will it? No, not Him- RTTH him...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nowanathiest

Nodin wrote: »
    Those are apparently not nuns but "maidens". And no, I've no fucking clue.

LOL, but it leads me to ask "what is the point of being a nun? what do they actually do? I realise that some used to be teachers and nurses........but today?
    MrPudding wrote: »
    Whilst I don't want to go all ISAW on your ass, I do not believe he committed a criminal offence as such an offence did not exist at the time. That is not to say I believe he acted correctly, merely pointing out that he likely did not commit a criminal offence and therefore, he did not publicly admit to committing a criminal act.

MrP

Originally the age of consent in England was set at 12. However, in 1875 the Offense Against the Persons Act raised it to 13 in Great Britain and Ireland. The Criminal Law Amendment Act of 1885 raised it to 16.[10][11] In 1917 a bill raising the age of consent in Great Britain and Ireland from 16 to 17 was defeated by only one vote.[12] In Northern Ireland in 1950 the legislature of Northern Ireland passed a law called Children and Young Persons Act in 1950 that raised the age of consent from 16 to 17.[13] The male homosexual age of consent in the United Kingdom was set at 21 in the Sexual Offences Act of 1967, lowered to 18 in the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, and then finally lowered equally to 16 in England and Scotland in the Sexual Offences (Amendment) Act of 2000.[14][15]

There is no doubt that crimes were committed, and it is inconceiveable that the most educated men in the land (as they would have been in those times) were unaware of the age of consent. The Cardinal is indeed an accessory and why he hasn't been charged with this offence is beyond me.........who has extended this lenience to him?

apologies, leniency......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Peado-hider General holds a vigil for very young children.
    Just another day on mouldy island.

That actually explains why I have never experienced god - the mere sight of a fender stratocaster makes me run for the hills.

Edit: argh my unthinking use of a common phrase won't summon him will it? No, not Him- RTTH him...

Hasn't been seen for a while. I think the illuminati lizard people got him. Either that or he had a brief moment of lucidity about just one of his theories and is too embarrassed to ever leave the house again.

Or he's been moved to a ward with no wifi.

I never did get an answer to my 'couldn't 666 just be a harmless 999?' question...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Even a strong summoning can't bring him back from an site wide permaban. The banhammer beats all magic, though is temporarily vunerable to a rereg.

MrP

Banhammer.jpg

tumblr_lme0c1cos21qe0eclo1_r10_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

1. That is creepy.

2. I'm nicking it and using it everywhere.

Sarky wrote: »
    1. That is creepy.

2. I'm nicking it and using it everywhere.
    Don't use it on he biscuit thread. You'll put people off their biscuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maan I <3333 that movie.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: What is your major malfunction, numbnuts? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Where the hell are you from anyway, private?

Private Cowboy: Sir, Texas, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Holy dog ****! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy, and you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?

Private Cowboy: Sir, no, sir!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Are you a peter puffer?

Private Cowboy: Sir, no, sir!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I bet you're the kind of guy who would **** a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement