Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I thought Duignan was terrible yesterday, took everything very seriously and is always on about what he said or thought the last week, on about how he said Noel McGrath would be key this weekend and then he got man of the match, as if he needs to validate his analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Jesus, Michael Duignan (sp?) says so much but literally says nothing at all.

As bad and all as he was, not as bad as McGrath and O'Cusack on the Sunday Game, talking complete squirt about sweepers. Apparently you're a Tan if you question the efficacy of the sweeper system, according to Donal Og.

But yeah, Duignan was as awful as ever. Who do you go to for decent hurling analysis in this country? It feels like everyone who might have something to offer is terrified of being the class swot.

Brian Hogan persisting with the auld nonsense that Cody and KK would never stoop so low as to soil themselves with tactics (spit), before giving a fairly detailed tactical breakdown of how he played for KK. Why this pathological horror at the suggestion that a great hurling team would tailor their play to exploit an opponent's weakness? So, so strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

corwill wrote: »
    As bad and all as he was, not as bad as McGrath and O'Cusack on the Sunday Game, talking complete squirt about sweepers. Apparently you're a Tan if you question the efficacy of the sweeper system, according to Donal Og.

But yeah, Duignan was as awful as ever. Who do you go to for decent hurling analysis in this country? It feels like everyone who might have something to offer is terrified of being the class swot.

Brian Hogan persisting with the auld nonsense that Cody and KK would never stoop so low as to soil themselves with tactics (spit), before giving a fairly detailed tactical breakdown of how he played for KK. Why this pathological horror at the suggestion that a great hurling team would tailor their play to exploit an opponent's weakness? So, so strange.

:D

I don't mind Brendan Cummins but none of the rest seem to stand out. What's John Gardiner doing these days? He was a columnist for the42 last year and seemed to be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Did they cover the Sean O'Brien pub 'incident' at all?

They are in an awkward position in that they rely on access to rugby players for their coverage but on the other hand if an Irish soccer player did similar I can only imagine the coverage. Just wondering did I miss any mention of it as I sometimes forward through rugby chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Did they cover the Sean O'Brien pub 'incident' at all?

They are in an awkward position in that they rely on access to rugby players for their coverage but on the other hand if an Irish soccer player did similar I can only imagine the coverage. Just wondering did I miss any mention of it as I sometimes forward through rugby chat.

To be honest thats not really a sports story just a tabloid outrage story, leave that kind of stuff for Off the Ball to have a crusade against instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Glad to see I'm not the only one to really be allergic to Michael Duignan. He's a terrible commentator and an even worse analyst.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    If Ken got an interview with Robbie keane and asked him the questions the daily mail journalist did...actually that just wouldn’t happen so interesting he totally defended the right of the journo to ask questions exclusively about singing, Christmas parties and decade old fights with Edgar Davids.

Murph’s protestations were batted away and unfortunately he lacked the backbone to fight his corner.

Robbie keane always gives the slight impression to me of being a bit of a big time Charlie but couldn’t blame him here.

sounds like keano was acting the proper football man out of nowhere here.

bit staunton-esque at this stage of his coaching career imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Raoul

kilns wrote: »
    To be honest thats not really a sports story just a tabloid outrage story, leave that kind of stuff for Off the Ball to have a crusade against instead

Was it covered on Off The Ball?

And nope, I don't think it was covered on Second Captains, I don't see why they shouldn't cover it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Raoul wrote: »
    Was it covered on Off The Ball?

And nope, I don't think it was covered on Second Captains, I don't see why they shouldn't cover it though.

Oh yeasssss. They covered it and they covered the 'cover up' and bemoaned the lack of action taken by Leinster when it was publicly revealed to be SOB.
    Bad example etc etc.

• Advertisement

I think I remember them mentioning the academy player getting punched, there wasn't a discussion on any of it though, was probably just the headline that was mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭deisedude

Who do you go to for decent hurling analysis in this country?

The GAA Hour is very good with Wooly Parkinson. Cheddar Plunkett Brian Carroll and JJ Delaney are regular contributors. Much more indepth than other hurling shows

Haha it is funny to come on and see the Duignan stuff. I have never really thought about it much but the last 2 shows I have honestly been getting drowsy listening to him, wouldn't want to be driving with his episodes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think I remember them mentioning the academy player getting punched, there wasn't a discussion on any of it though, was probably just the headline that was mentioned

Was that SOB also?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭deisedude

Raoul wrote: »
    Was that SOB also?

No Stan Wright, a former player punched Jack Dunne at some reunion for the 09 team

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

Why was the report on the FAI AGM treated as a big joke by Gavin Cooney?

If you are involved in football in Ireland it is a serious issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

deisedude wrote: »
    Who do you go to for decent hurling analysis in this country?

The GAA Hour is very good with Wooly Parkinson. Cheddar Plunkett Brian Carroll and JJ Delaney are regular contributors. Much more indepth than other hurling shows

I never thought I'd ever have something good to say about woolberto but his show is excellent. Cheddar plunket talks so much sense.

If you don't laugh, you'd cry. It's hard not to be flabbergasted by the farce of it all, at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Seems to be kind of his tone every time they have him on. Though I still think he gets a lot of information across.

Though I agree with the above poster to an extent that that you have to laugh at the extent of the FAI's gowlery at times - and I all hope they eventually get their well deserved comeuppance.

deisedude wrote: »

Agreed. Analysis of the weekend's games was excellent. Wooly is very good at keeping the agenda moving on and making sure that everything gets discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Pidae.m wrote: »
    I never thought I'd ever have something good to say about woolberto but his show is excellent. Cheddar plunket talks so much sense.

Do the contributors to these podcasts get paid?

Ya they have to be, can't see them doing it just for the craic, now it's probably not much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Maybe uncle Jim doesn’t because he doesn’t even realize he’s on a podcast and just thinks his nephew has rang him to chat GAA but of course all the others are getting paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you don't laugh, you'd cry. It's hard not to be flabbergasted by the farce of it all, at this stage.
    I agree, but has there ever been a stage where the FAI hasn't been a joke? It's a shambles as far as I can remember from the 90's, and by all accounts it was even worse back to the early 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Read "Who Stole Our Game" by Daire Whelan, your library should be able to get it

Unfortunately it was written just as JD was taking over, and the author hoped he'd be a breath of fresh air! But yes you wouldn't believe what went on in the 70s and 80s, lots of away friendlies in Poland in the 70s because the blazers could get the ride cheap over there (allegedly.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Are contributors paid by the word ? minute ? strength of their point ? a combination of all three ? .... maybe its down to their rep(reputation) and have a set fee e.g. Gary Neville would cost a thieves ransom !

lawred2 wrote: »
    Agreed. Analysis of the weekend's games was excellent. Wooly is very good at keeping the agenda moving on and making sure that everything gets discussed.

Just given their Monday pod a twirl, I'm sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Wooly has an enormous amount of tactical insight for a man who never coached any team at any level. His ability to rubbish managers and coaches who will achieve far more than he ever will is a turn off. He’s a good broadcaster but his ego is out of control. He’s not the time to change but a dose of humility would do him good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Read "Who Stole Our Game" by Daire Whelan, your library should be able to get it

Unfortunately it was written just as JD was taking over, and the author hoped he'd be a breath of fresh air! But yes you wouldn't believe what went on in the 70s and 80s, lots of away friendlies in Poland in the 70s because the blazers could get the ride cheap over there (allegedly.)

I remember an email going round ages ago (about 2003) about some of the madness of the FAI. One was along the lines of (and I can't remember the details here) an idiot was voted in as chief executive (or whatever the position was in the early 80's) because the guy making the deciding vote thought the more qualified guy who was also running threw a bun at him at a party several years earlier so he voted against him.

• Advertisement

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Wooly has an enormous amount of tactical insight for a man who never coached any team at any level. His ability to rubbish managers and coaches who will achieve far more than he ever will is a turn off. He’s a good broadcaster but his ego is out of control. He’s not the time to change but a dose of humility would do him good.

ah jaysus

shur we better all shut up then :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement