Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

aloooof wrote: »
    He's got a few stock phrases including
    - ebb and flow ("of psychic energy" often gets tacked on).
    - Top Quatorze
    - fait accompli
    - callow bench / <position>
    - coaching ticket

Ah there's loads more.
    Whiff of Cordite
    Since Christ was a carpenter..
    Brains Trust

I think there's va Twitter parody account

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah there's loads more.
    Whiff of Cordite
    Since Christ was a carpenter..

I think there's va Twitter parody account

"like hen's teeth" is another one I can think of.

I'll probably cop some abuse for this, but I actually like Thornley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

He's not the worst but he can go on a bit at times

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

dulux99 wrote: »
    Gerry Thornley loves nothing more than sandwiching the term "ebb and flow" into a chat about a rugby match. Bloody loves it he does.

Now you mention it, he does say that a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I don't mind Thornley, he does seem to have a big interest in the top level of the sport, and he's a decent writer. And he's not a troll/wind-up merchant either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I don't mind Thornley, he does seem to have a big interest in the top level of the sport, and he's a decent writer. And he's not a troll/wind-up merchant either.

I don't dislike him either particularly. However he's the human embodiment of everything I resented about rugby growing up. A childish way to be ..but I was a child to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

"like hen's teeth" is another one I can think of.

I'll probably cop some abuse for this, but I actually like Thornley.

I like him too!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

dulux99 wrote: »
    Gerry Thornley loves nothing more than sandwiching the term "ebb and flow" into a chat about a rugby match. Bloody loves it he does.

He's got a few stock phrases including
    - ebb and flow ("of psychic energy" often gets tacked on).
    - Top Quatorze
    - fait accompli
    - callow bench /

Other stalwarts are:
    Leinster are “bulk suppliers” to the Irish team
    Earls “he’d beat a man in a phone box”.

I like Gerry he seems a nice guy and has a real enthusiasm for the sport without any of the cynical wind up nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I enjoyed the 6 nation's preview.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

- Top Quatorze

The thing wot it is called :confused::confused:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Murph is doing a fine job filling for Eoin in fairness to him....although did he forget to play the report on sport jingle for Ken yesterday? outrageous mistake, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

Footoo wrote: »
    He's a pure spoofer. Never says anything interersting, talks in generalities and appears to be a complete pr**k if his twitter is anything to go by.

I literally skip the second I hear them introduce him.

I don't think Miguel is a spoofer at all. I think he absolutely knows his stuff, seems very informed and I think he is a very good writer.

I think sometimes his delivery on air is a little laborious and doesn't flow as well as his written word does. That can make him a little harder to listen to than say a Sid Lowe or somebody.

I think he more than knows his stuff though, and I enjoy listening to him and reading his stuff.

Fair bloody play to him. He's carved out a very good career for himself out of the Sunday Tribune demise.

Miguel Delaney definitely knows his stuff. But he acknowledges that he knows his stuff too often. Any time he comes on SC he just comes across as a smug prick with a non stop "I knew this before everyone else" attitude.

I think sometimes his delivery on air is a little laborious and doesn't flow as well as his written word does. That can make him a little harder to listen to than say a Sid Lowe or somebody.

I was trying to put my finger on what i think people are getting at when they say they hate MD and this is it. Its his delivery - he almost seems to be stumbling through sentences sometimes. I actually like him and i do think he knows his stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He doesn't really bother me either to be honest - though as people say his delivery could do with a bit of work: he seems to splutter and stumble through his sentences.

Maybe he's a dickhead on twitter, but I don't really pay attention to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,290 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I like Thornley. Hard not to like his positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jones wrote: »
    I was trying to put my finger on what i think people are getting at when they say they hate MD and this is it. Its his delivery - he almost seems to be stumbling through sentences sometimes. I actually like him and i do think he knows his stuff

He undoubtedly knows his stuff but he definitely struggles to be articulate. It's like he has so many strands floating through his brain that he has trouble sticking to one.

He enjoys a lot of media exposure so it's surprising he hasn't developed the ability to be articulate by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

Didn't realise there was a general dislike of Thornley, I tend to enjoy his analysis.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/13-rugby-buzzwords-to-use-if-you-want-to-sound-like-gerry-thornley-98219

'Sabre rattling' and 'pound of flesh' are two I'm almost certain he slipped into recent pods.

Didn't realise there was a general dislike of Thornley, I tend to enjoy his analysis.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/13-rugby-buzzwords-to-use-if-you-want-to-sound-like-gerry-thornley-98219

'Sabre rattling' and 'pound of flesh' are two I'm almost certain he slipped into recent pods.

I don't think anyone has even said they particularly disliked him to be fair. He's just a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe it's because the very name "Miguel Delaney" sounds so utterly wanky.

If he was called "Miguel Valencia" or "Jonathan Delaney" he wouldn't seem like an utter wanker as soon as he's introduced. :cool:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

"I'm glad he's providing a counter-point for the BBC at least"

Solid zinger by Murph about Klopp on Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Raisins wrote: »

Other stalwarts are:
    Leinster are “bulk suppliers” to the Irish team
    Earls “he’d beat a man in a phone box”.

I like Gerry he seems a nice guy and has a real enthusiasm for the sport without any of the cynical wind up nonsense.

When he calls Keith Wood 'Fester' it makes me cringe, theres a touch of the David Brents about him but overall seems like a nice guy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ken calling The Rare Ould Times an alt-right anthem was funny and strangely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,290 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Eoin Reddan is without any craic whatsoever

Knowledgeable though

lawred2 wrote: »

Knowledgeable though

I also thought he refused to say anything negative about the irish team. I dont agree with all the doomsday stuff but come on they were so utterly beaten in a world cup year i think there is an issue. It's not like Ireland were coasting and were "caught cold" by a few freak intercept tries. They were beaten in every aspect of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

lawred2 wrote: »

Knowledgeable though

I also thought he refused to say anything negative about the irish team. I dont agree with all the doomsday stuff but come one they were so utterly beaten in a world cup year i think there is an issue. It's not like Ireland were coasting and were "caught cold" by a few freak intercept tries. They were beaten in every aspect of the game.

Agreed on Eoin Reddan. A very serious individual.

I have to say, I really didn't like Simon's approach to the interview with Matt Williams last week when discussing the team selected by Joe Schmidt. Simon spent a good 10 minutes or more trying to get Matt to say Joe was a genius for the selection of Henshaw at fullback. Talk about losing a sense of objectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I also thought he refused to say anything negative about the irish team. I dont agree with all the doomsday stuff but come on they were so utterly beaten in a world cup year i think there is an issue. It's not like Ireland were coasting and were "caught cold" by a few freak intercept tries. They were beaten in every aspect of the game.

Even so, the game was on a knife-edge.

If Sexton understandably misses the drop goal against France last year, what would have unfolded (beyond obivously not winning a grand slam)?

Or that intercept Stockdale got against Wales?

I think people are always too quick to place narratives on one-off sporting events, not only on the result, but even largely based on a performance.

I'm pissed off most of all that the grand slam is dead in the first week, and that we won't have a chance to force the favourites for the competition into a sort of playoff game. The championship is out of our hands. That said, I don't think Redden was wrong in his assessment, even if we lose to Scotland. That's just a thing that happens quite often, because they're very good.

Northern Hemisphere rugby is incredibly competetive on a game by game basis, even if Scotland can't manage to string together enough wins to really challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Simon: "Here's the question I want to ask? But this is the point I really want to make, and there might be a counterpoint, but there isn't really if you think about it. Right?"
    Person: "Yes, but...."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Catmologen wrote: »
    Raisins wrote: »

When he calls Keith Wood 'Fester' it makes me cringe, theres a touch of the David Brents about him but overall seems like a nice guy.

Has he stopped saying "flat track bully" every second sentence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was a small thing but hearing Ken say "die mutherfckas!" was quite good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement