Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports to cover RDP12 for 4 seasons from 2014

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

hmmm at only £15 a head they will need at least 5,000,000 odd subscribers just to break even and that is with just basic figures

Sponsorship a la Ford Super Sunday and advertising will knock down the number of subscribers required to break even I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

OldRio wrote: »
    Growing the game hiding under a pay wall is not the way to go.
    If you think paying over 700euro a year for something you had for nothing then grand so be it. Looks like the Celtic Tiger is still living and breathing in some parts of the country.

Ah would you get off your high horse and stop criticising the buying behaviour of people.

The game has been grown her mainly because of the Heineken Cup, not the Rabo. The league grew bigger on FTA but FTA hasn't had as big an impact as Sky have. It's the same argument that was around when Sky took ERC rights from RTE and if anything the competition is bigger in this country because of Sky.

Sky only have one to two games a week and the Irish won't be on every week. The early indications are FTA will have games every week too. So stop pretending it is disappearing completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

If you think paying over 700euro a year for something you had for nothing then grand so be it. Looks like the Celtic Tiger is still living and breathing in some parts of the country.

Haha you need to turn on your sarcasm detector there fella!

By the way, you're getting all het up over a hypothetical situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I couldn't care less. I'm still going to stream games like I've always done for matches on BBC Alba, S4C etc. I'll probably be able to get a feed a bit more easily now and the league gets more money. I reckon I can live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You're forgetting the big one! That'll be the one that brings people across!

I don't know, 154 live EPL games, 38 on BT and 116 on Sky including the vast majority of the big ones. £10 a month and I'd consider it. Although I might be tempted to switch my phone and broadband to BT to get them for free which is probably what they really want to be fair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

its_phil wrote: »
    Ah would you get off your high horse and stop criticising the buying behaviour of people.

The game has been grown her mainly because of the Heineken Cup, not the Rabo. The league grew bigger on FTA but FTA hasn't had as big an impact as Sky have. It's the same argument that was around when Sky took ERC rights from RTE and if anything the competition is bigger in this country because of Sky.

Sky only have one to two games a week and the Irish won't be on every week. The early indications are FTA will have games every week too. So stop pretending it is disappearing completely.

This.

According to one of the more reliable posters on UAFC Ulster, Leinster and Munster will have three live home games per season on Sky and Connacht will have two. The remaining home games will remain on RTE/BBC NI/TG4. There may be more of an issue around away matches I suppose as I assume Sky will have agreed to show 3 Ospreys games and 3 Glasgow games etc etc, I suspect that they'll probably want to show the Irish provinces quite a lot in those instances. However there will always be at least one Irish province live on FTA TV each weekend and probably two.

bilston wrote: »
    This.

According to one of the more reliable posters on UAFC Ulster, Leinster and Munster will have three live home games per season on Sky and Connacht will have two. The remaining home games will remain on RTE/BBC NI/TG4. There may be more of an issue around away matches I suppose as I assume Sky will have agreed to show 3 Ospreys games and 3 Glasgow games etc etc, I suspect that they'll probably want to show the Irish provinces quite a lot in those instances. However there will always be at least one Irish province live on FTA TV each weekend and probably two.

I'll be shocked if the majority of them aren't interpros. Which begs the question, would the scheduling of interpros be changed so that stronger sides are named more regularly? I hate the debacle of the Xmas interpros every season.

This.

I think I read in the Indo or somewhere that Sky will only be allowed show one clash between two teams once in the regular season ie. They show the first Leinster v Munster but can't show the return fixture

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

its_phil wrote: »

No high horse at all. Just passing on knowledge. It comes with experience.
    Tis a pity more people didn't criticise the buying behaviour of people a few years back. Things might be a wee bit different in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Tis a pity more people didn't criticise the buying behaviour of people a few years back. Things might be a wee bit different in the country.

Ah here. This is the rugby forum.

• Advertisement

Yeah I forgot how BSkyB ruined this country and now they are coming for our rugby...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

I think that went right over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don't know, 154 live EPL games, 38 on BT and 116 on Sky including the vast majority of the big ones. £10 a month and I'd consider it. Although I might be tempted to switch my phone and broadband to BT to get them for free which is probably what they really want to be fair!

Pretty much exactly what they want. Rumour has it they'll be chasing down another sector of the market soon as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

First off it's been pointed out to you already that this €700 figure is exaggerated. You can get Sky Sports for €50 a month, which isn't much more than a trip to a game for non-season ticket holders.

Secondly, as has been pointed out to you numerous times as well, the majority of games will still be FTA. Sky only have rights to 30 of the regular season games. There are 264 regular season games. Sky then have the rights to just over 11% of games.

Finally, with Sky showing 30 games that frees up the FTA channels to show 30 additional games themselves. There have been plenty of games that we wanted to see here that either weren't televised at all or weren't televised terrestrially. There will be less instances of this with Sky involved.

Now fair enough if you can't afford the €50 a month, but that will only mean you'll miss 3 of your provinces games by the sounds of it. 3 of 22. Less than 14% of games. And it may mean you'll see 1 or 2 others you wouldn't have seen otherwise. So overall the impact is quite minimal. It pumps more money into the game and gives it greater exposure generally.

It's probably been mentioned before but Connacht fans who can't get to many games in Galway are the big winners here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

awec wrote: »
    I'm not sure if ESPN are keeping their fixtures, but now it means if customers want to watch all the big games of the season they need to have Sky, ESPN and BT.

Whereas before hand they just needed Sky.

BT are actually buying ESPN and their rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21577676

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Deano7788 wrote: »
    BT are actually buying ESPN and their rights.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21577676

And their staff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It's probably been mentioned before but Connacht fans who can't get to many games in Galway are the big winners here.

how so?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

how so?

I imagine more of their games will be televised if TG4 and RTÉ maintain their coverage. I'm not so sure they will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

I got skygo this year because i actually watch everything through a pc with a tv card for recording purposes. You can get a sky go monthly ticket that you can enable or disable depending on whats on that month. I basically got skygo enabled for the months that the HCup was on and as the ticket covers access for two MAC addresses on the one licence (ie two computers) i was able to give my father the password too so he was able to watch the HCup games over sky without consulting dodgy web streams.

Quality and sound was superb and with each month you got 2/3 weekends of all day rugby all for €25 each month when split between someone else. Whats not to like.

• Advertisement

I used the Sky Go Event Centre during the pool stages this season, a cool service with lots of nerdy stats on demand to keep me happy! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its fairly optimistic to think that RTE, deprived of a certain amount of games they actually want to show, will suddenly rush to put Connacht on at prime time.
    Especially if Connacht maintain their usual mid/lower table position.

Advertisement