Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports to cover RDP12 for 4 seasons from 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Not exclusively, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

durkadurka wrote: »
    Not exclusively, thank god.

Are you sure? Don't have sky sports myself and did not see it mentioned anywhere that it was exclusive or not........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Its not a replacement. Its an addition to the regional networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So long as it isn't exclusive and other channels don't see a reduction in the amount of games shown I don't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Not happy.
    But not like setanta killed the ge when it was exclusive on there.
    We have being spoiled watching it free to air over last few years.

But I guess it's good for the unions or teams to get extra money in.
    Which I imagine sky are paying a nice bit for.

The only reason it won't be exclusive is due too Wales having freeview rights to games involving there teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

coolisin wrote: »
    Not happy.
    We have being spoiled watching it free to air over last few years.

I never buy the free to air argument. I pay a stupidly expensive TV licence almost exclusively to watch rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

CardinalJ wrote: »
    I never buy the free to air argument. I pay a stupidly expensive TV licence almost exclusively to watch rugby.

Yeah but if you don't pay a lienece fee you can still watch it, stop paying sky and they cut you off sharpish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Wonderful news! espn are reporting that the deal will work alongside additional contracts, so it's not an exclusive deal, and more importantly, it will mean a 50% increase in revenue for pro12 teams. And most importantly of all (especially if you're a connacht fan!) more games will be broadcast overall. 125 out of 135 in fact.

http://www.espnscrum.com/rabodirect-pro12-2012-13/rugby/story/181865.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Seeing as it isn't exclusive and is operatin alongside the other broadcasters this is actually very good news IMO. Although I'm assuming the games they'll show will tend to be Munster or Leinster games which could be bad news for anyone in those provinces that don't have sky. Will have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Don't see the down side of it tbh but I don't know if it will mean any additional games being shown. Presumably Sky will cherry pick the most attractive games which would be on anyway.

But more cash and more exposure for the league has to be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I didn't realise this would be an option. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

groovy...

I'll be happy as long as no Leinster games are part of the 10 not going to be televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Do Sky Italia own the Italian domestic rights?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

This is brilliant news. Rabo is still FTA and yet more games are shown and a 50% increase in revenue for the Rabo teams!!!

There is no way anyone could be against this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

I have to say that this sounds like a pretty good deal. I don't see much of a downside given the rights will be shared with the domestic broadcasters and more games will be shown.

Think of the financial angle though; more money to the teams (every team, especially the Welsh, could use that) means an incentive to stay together as the Pro12. Given the long-running debate over the future of European rugby (and the lengthy thread on this board), a bit more certainty over the league's future and that the countries will stick together is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

I think the debacle over the HC has worked in the Pro 12's favour here...as Sky are without a definite rugby union competition to broadcast after next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So one or two games will be broadcast every weekend by Sky with the rest going to the FTA channels. I assume Sky will have first refusal on the games they'll show, in that case expect the Irish interpros to be on Sky.

Great news regarding the money increase, the league badly needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

this deal makes no sense to me, especially as I can't see really a down side for the League.

I'm gathering Sky will get to cherry pick the games and so a lot of Leinster, Munster and Ulster games will probably move to it which will be slightly annoying as I was hoping to ditch sky sports.

Any word of us getting a dedicated highlights show on sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Any word of us getting a dedicated highlights show on sky?

The league badly needs one, both the Premiership and Top14 have dedicated shows. Plus all the highlights are put online.

The Rabo has caught up somewhat but uploading the tries as they happen but hopefully Sky will do a weekly wrap-up show.

Something that has yet to be mentioned is what time/day Sky will want the games to be held, we could be in for more afternoon games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

this deal makes no sense to me, especially as I can't see really a down side for the League.

I'm gathering Sky will get to cherry pick the games and so a lot of Leinster, Munster and Ulster games will probably move to it which will be slightly annoying as I was hoping to ditch sky sports.

I don't know if that's the case; I haven't seen anything which says that any of the games will be exclusive, i.e. I'd imagine we'll see a lot of duplication.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

I think Sky are confident that with their standard of coverage they can persuade many people to turn over to them. I can't imagine many people sticking with the likes of TG4 if they have Sky and they're showing the same game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They failed to mention non-exclusivity on today fm sport, just about calm again! If it improves the english language coverage of Leinster games and makes more TV money to spend in the league then fine. A good magazine programme would be welcome as well, thats badly lacking from the domestic coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I pay a small fortune to Sky every month, if it means more stuff to watch on Sports and the league gets more cash then great..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hopefully this will generate more money and help the Welsh especially hold on to their players. The loss of the majority of the front-line welsh players to France/England is a huge problem for the league - So if this brings more cash in the it can only help keep the quality up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Absolutely excellent deal. When I heard it first, presumed it was exclusive, but 125/135 is amazing!

We've seen it happen in so many sports, from Prem Football to Heineken Cup to F1, the prestige and marketing, and downright hype that Sky use can be great for the profile of a brand.

Must be some happy faces in Rabo HQ this morning.

Actually this is starting to all make sense now. Leinster being the show ponies that they are have been waiting for Sky to start showing the finals before they actually start winning the final :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Actually this is starting to all make sense now. Leinster being the show ponies that they are have been waiting for Sky to start showing the finals before they actually start winning the final :pac:

Two more years to wait so. Visualise Matt O'Connor and Zane Kirchner parading around the partially complete Royal Dublin Liberty Insurance Arena with the Wonga.Com Pro12 trophy..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

While this does sound good (too good almost) I would wonder if this is the start where they get the foot in the door, start splashing money around, then say they want exclusive rights (obviously with more money) or they walk with their money............

You can be sure there is another reason also. (could be a two fingers to the Aviva Prem also.)

• Advertisement

yum

Advertisement