Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports to cover RDP12 for 4 seasons from 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Thanos wrote: »
    You can be sure there is another reason also. (could be a two fingers to the Aviva Prem also.)

This is actually pretty much the only reason for this deal. Sky are now left with no home club rugby and need something to help keep the HEC subscribers. If they hadn't lost the Aviva Premership rugby this would never have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is actually pretty much the only reason for this deal. Sky are now left with no home club rugby and need something to help keep the HEC subscribers. If they hadn't lost the Aviva Premership rugby this would never have happened

They'd better help to ensure there is a HEC to keep so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Not going to affect me too much, cant see sky clamouring to televise Connacht games so there is probably going to be a lot of our games not televised

Which is absolutely no change from what is happening currently

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

freyners wrote: »
    Not going to affect me too much, cant see sky clamouring to televise Connacht games so there is probably going to be a lot of our games not televised

I would imagine that RTE and TG4 will maintain their one match a weekend policy but might not want to directly compete with SKY.

So if Sky are televising Leinster a trip west into Connacht will be more attractive for RTE/TG4.

freyners wrote: »

Only 10 games in the entire season won't be televised.

That's phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Two more years to wait so. Visualise Matt O'Connor and Zane Kirchner parading around the partially complete Royal Dublin Liberty Insurance Arena with the Wonga.Com Pro12 trophy..........
    I'd have some interest in Wonga coming aboard as sponsors. Approximately 1412%...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

More money, more exposure beyond Ireland, Scotland and Wales (which might be good for attracting sponsors) while it appears ensuring that FTA coverage remains on the likes of RTE and BBC. It sounds too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Only 10 games in the entire season won't be televised.

That's phenomenal.

Didnt see that bit,:o

wow thats some turnaround

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I don't get this...

Seems great for the league: Extra money for teams etc

We will have a choice to watch a game on Sky or on RTE/S4C/TG4?

What do Sky get out of it? Seems a bit fishy. Could terrestrial channels lose viewers and eventually be forced out of the equation in the long run?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm happy out. 30 games, presumably high profile saturday games, getting the Sky treatment will do wonders for the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Grimebox wrote: »
    I don't get this...

Seems great for the league: Extra money for teams etc

We will have a choice to watch a game on Sky or on RTE/S4C/TG4?

What do Sky get out of it? Seems a bit fishy. Could terrestrial channels lose viewers and eventually be forced out of the equation in the long run?

As far as I'm understanding this, individual games are exclusive on the day; so if Leinster is being shown by Sky, another broadcaster wont be. Is this correct?

There's definitely some kind of long term plan going on here, you're right. And knowing Sky, it's tightly linked with world domination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

No mention of the 125 games per season in the official pro12 release, is it possible someone looked at how many games were televised this season, added 30 and came up with 125?

Last sentence is interesting too.

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/16485.php
    The agreement will commence at the start of the 2014/15 tournament and will last for 4 years. Sky Sports will broadcast 30 live matches per season as well as the Play-Offs and Final.

John Feehan, Chief Executive said: "The RaboDirect PRO12 features the top teams from Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy. Our competition is thriving with increased numbers going through turnstiles as well as increased TV audiences.

"The quality of our competition is such that 24 out of the 37 players selected for the 2013 Lions Tour to Australian play in the RaboDirect PRO12.

"We believe that this agreement with Sky will allow us to bring our Tournament to an even bigger television audience.

"This is a milestone for Celtic Rugby as it is our first ever Network coverage deal in the UK and Ireland.

Celtic Rugby are still in negotiations with other broadcasters and will be announcing further agreements in due course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

19543261 wrote: »
    As far as I'm understanding this, individual games are exclusive on the day; so if Leinster is being shown by Sky, another broadcaster wont be. Is this correct?

I haven't seen that anywhere.

Grimebox wrote: »
    What do Sky get out of it?

weekly rugby untill the BT aviva premership deal runs out

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sky will show their 30 games exclusively I'd say.

No mention of the 125 games per season in the official pro12 release, is it possible someone looked at how many games were televised this season, added 30 and came up with 125?

Last sentence is interesting too.

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/16485.php

Ye I have a funny feeling the 125 games is a made up number,as I don't think any other broadcaster has actually signed up yet to show the Pro 12 past the 13/14 season, which is also the reason for the last sentence in that release

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Still don't understand what this means for RTE/TG4/S4C/BBC2W/BBCNI/BBC Alba/Sky Italia. Will they show matches not covered by Sky?
    Edit - This article suggests that deal is in conjuction with present broadcasting deals. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/news/10031777/RaboDirect-Pro12-boosted-with-Sky-Sports-television-deal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Rabo Pro 12 website says that they are still in talks with other broadcasters about renewing the deal frm 2014/15, the Sky deal might been Setanta might bid for the rights aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I'd imagine that Sky will get first pick of the games and the FTA channels can't show that one live. This could be good for Connacht as Sky will hardly want to show too many of our games but RTE/TG4 may have to show it if Sky are showing the Leinster/Ulster/Munster game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Still don't understand what this means for RTE/TG4/S4C/BBC2W/BBCNI/BBC Alba/Sky Italia. Will they show matches not covered by Sky?

I'm guessing the semis and final will be exclusive to Sky?

There's plenty of group games to round, Connacht games are often not shown anywhere, it's a question of who gets first dibs. If Sky did I'd imagine Munster/Leinster/Ulster games would be near the top of their list...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd imagine that Sky will get first pick of the games and the FTA channels can't show that one live. This could be good for Connacht as Sky will hardly want to show too many of our games but RTE/TG4 may have to show it if Sky are showing the Leinster/Ulster/Munster game.

Between RTE, TG4, BBCNI and Sky it is very possible all 4 provinces will have their games live regularly, with Sky alternating between Leinster, Munster and Ulster. With the influx of cash to the league this really is good news I think.

What a week. Joe announced as Irish coach, 9 Irish lads on the Lions, Matt O'Connor all but guaranteed new Leinster coach (the more I read about that the happier I am with it) and now this.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So can someone confirm for me that every Ulster game will still be televised in some form?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

I'm guessing the semis and final will be exclusive to Sky?

I'd doubt that. Those games are already shown on multiple networks under the current scheme. League organisers probably would want to facilitate the final being shown on multiple channels, whatever about the regular season games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Bogota wrote: »
    I think Sky are confident that with their standard of coverage they can persuade many people to turn over to them. I can't imagine many people sticking with the likes of TG4 if they have Sky and they're showing the same game.

but yer wan on tg4 is lovely.... Sky can't compete with cailin go hailinnn

<sincere apologies for irish spelling and blatant sexism above>

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lologram wrote: »
    I'd doubt that. Those games are already shown on multiple networks under the current scheme. League organisers probably would want to facilitate the final being shown on multiple channels, whatever about the regular season games.

Oh right. I guess it wouldn't be much skin off Sky's nose because they'd get the bulk of the English audience regardless...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If it doesn't affect the existing contracts I can't see how any of the FTA channels will be missing out on the big games? Surely their contract was signed on the basis that they'd get those?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If it doesn't affect the existing contracts I can't see how any of the FTA channels will be missing out on the big games? Surely their contract was signed on the basis that they'd get those?

existing contracts end at the end of the 13/14 season as far as I know

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I suppose the other factor here is when are Sky going to show the games? Presumably whatever fixture they are showing each week will be moved to suit their TV schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

The FTA stations are still negotiating for that season so they don't have any entitlements as of yet.

So if they have 28 games outside of playoffs, I'd imagine they would take the marquee game every weekend and then have an extra few games over the Christmas with all the derbys.

I can't imagine Sky not having the pick of games. Not complaing either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

awec wrote: »
    So can someone confirm for me that every Ulster game will still be televised in some form?

Yes but you will have to cross the border :pac:

Advertisement