Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports to cover RDP12 for 4 seasons from 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Grimebox wrote: »
    On a personal level, I am not happy with this at all. I don't have Sky nor do I ever see myself paying for it. I prefer to avoid watching matches in the pub as it can easily degenerate into "ah sure I'll just the one pint" and end up the next morning with a headache, an empty wallet and a stamp for coppers. It means I will have to stream more matches like a filthy pirate

The cost of Sky sports per month is less than the cost of one trip to a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭OldRio

So expanding the Pro 12 means a new customer to sky will have to get a 12 month contract. Which means 744euro a year for something he gets for nothing now. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

OldRio wrote: »
    So expanding the Pro 12 means a new customer to sky will have to get a 12 month contract. Which means 744euro a year for something he gets for nothing now. Interesting.

I'm pretty sure you can get Sky Sports for a lot less than €744 p.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »

The whole Sky package would be about that. I think I pay £77 a month for the Sky + HD t.v., land line and broadband so I think the t.v. element is 47.50 a month inc. the sports pack. That is about 600 Euro per year there or thereabouts but you get great t.v. and access on the net when away from home. As far as I'm concerned it's a good deal

bilston wrote: »

Not according to their website.
    Remember you cannot get Sky Sports as a stand alone package.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,457 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rugby just need to make sure they don't make the same mistakes as football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

For those of us who already have a Sky Sports TV pack I think it's a positive step.

More analysis and build up to games hopefully and all in English rather than S4C/TG4/BBC Alba... not to mention all in HD as well.

Nothing extra to pay but more value in my existing subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

You can get a 24 hour access pay as you go for £9.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

its_phil wrote: »

€11.82, wow. The only way that would be worth it is if you watched matches with friends and split the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Defo worth it for big one off games etc.

• Advertisement

Actually, can you get skygo with that 24 hour package?

.ak wrote: »
    Defo worth it for big one off games etc.

Something like €18 for Friday evening to Sunday evening maybe...

I really wish Sky would bring out an online only package for Sky Sports, so people can order Sports on their own to watch via Sky Go only.

awec wrote: »
    I really wish Sky would bring out an online only package for Sky Sports, so people can order Sports on their own to watch via Sky Go only.

Yeah, would be perfect, especially when over seas with nothing but an ipad or lappy.

its_phil wrote: »

Not available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You can get Sky TV (which has the standard Sky channels) and the Sports channels for €49.50 a month. Which is €594 a year. For that you'll get 4-5 games a month on average plus whatever other sport you're interested in. You'll get Super Rugby, the Rugby Club etc and ESPN which often has classic games on. Not to mention the other "regular" channels.

You'd pay €50 for transport and a ticket for 1 game easily enough. Especially if you throw in the price of a pint or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

And you can even probably chuck in BT Sports for fairly cheap and get all the European action!

*Runs away and hides again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just for the craic I went through the process and with Sky Sports and ESPN ended up with €49.50 a month. This also included a Sky+ box which cost me a once off €25 for installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Old Rio has made my mind up, I'm never going to a game again with that value available from Sky!

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    Just for the craic I went through the process and with Sky Sports and ESPN ended up with €49.50 a month. This also included a Sky+ box which cost me a once off €25 for installation.

Pretty sure that's an offer price, and once the offer expires it'll rise to 74 euro a month.

If you click on View Order Summary it shows you.

Also doesn't include any HD channels.

What it doesn't make clear is how long the offer lasts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Pretty sure that's an offer price, and once the offer expires it'll rise to 74 euro a month.

If you click on View Order Summary it shows you.

Also doesn't include any HD channels.

What it doesn't make clear is how long the offer lasts.

I've had everything except movies for years and it's currently €66 a month. Pretty sure the €74 is the full package including movies.
    If you have the basic package already adding sports adds €35 a month. That's about the the cost of 1 trip to the pub to watch a game.
    It's worth it as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

And you can even probably chuck in BT Sports for fairly cheap and get all the European action!

*Runs away and hides again

£15 a month in the UK IBF (not sure what it will be in ROI but I'd say €20 sounds a good place to start), I don't call that cheap given their portfolio isn't all that big at the moment. If they get the rights to whatever the future European Rugby comp is then that might sway a few minds.

£15 a month for Scottish Football, Guinness Premiership, Uefa Cup and UFC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broadband/10046320/BT-Sport-channel-broadband-takes-on-TV.html

Nah, you're grand thanks IBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

£15 a month for Scottish Football, Guinness Premiership, Uefa Cup and UFC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/broadband/10046320/BT-Sport-channel-broadband-takes-on-TV.html

Nah, you're grand thanks IBF.

You're forgetting the big one! That'll be the one that brings people across!

According to that I'll get it free for the first year. That's nice!

I hate the way the football is divided up across multiple pay-to-view providers.

They yap on about making it better for customers, but now people will have to have BT AND Sky if they want the same sort of choice.

It's annoying enough at the moment to want to watch a game and find it's on bloody ESPN :mad:

I hate the way the football is divided up across multiple pay-to-view providers.

They yap on about making it better for customers, but now people will have to have BT AND Sky if they want the same sort of choice.

It's annoying enough at the moment to want to watch a game and find it's on bloody ESPN :mad:

38 games means one game per weekend, that sucks for football fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

hmmm at only £15 a head they will need at least 5,000,000 odd subscribers just to break even and that is with just basic figures

38 games means one game per weekend, that sucks for football fans.

I'm not sure if ESPN are keeping their fixtures, but now it means if customers want to watch all the big games of the season they need to have Sky, ESPN and BT.

Whereas before hand they just needed Sky.

• Advertisement

Old Rio has made my mind up, I'm never going to a game again with that value available from Sky!

Growing the game hiding under a pay wall is not the way to go.
    If you think paying over 700euro a year for something you had for nothing then grand so be it. Looks like the Celtic Tiger is still living and breathing in some parts of the country.

Advertisement