Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams on RTE PrimeTime--29-05-13

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nodin wrote: »
    He's been asked similar questions before. Whats the point in going over and over the same ground? He's made his position clear already.

Can we start holding Gerry and his colleagues to the same standards? Once he's asked questions about FF or FG policies a few times, he has to shut up, because they've made their position clear already. Why are SF so special?
    They did of course support the IRA, who found themselves in the middle of a conflict not of their making and with no choice but to fight back. Furthermore, while the IRA didnt start the war, they were the ones to end it. But you go right ahead entertaining this myth taht all was well with the world until the big bad IRA crawled out of the sea and started killing people for no reason.

It is quite chilling to see the number of people who seem to actively endorse what the IRA did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Because it refers to their southern counterparts.
    Ruth Dudley Edwards? Conor Cruise O'Brien?

Still not comfortable with the term, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

It is quite chilling to see the number of people who seem to actively endorse what the IRA did.

There's loads of them. The fuckers are everywhere. Parades outside the GPO at Easter. I even saw the Taoiseach and president at one. This thing goes right to the top.
    Monuments to what the IRA did all over Cork and Kerry. I saw a huge one at Kilmichael.
    Shameless shower of bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Actually it refers to those who look to Britian, rather than Ireland. Such creatures do exist, though the term itself is overused.

The kind of people who wear Premiership football jerseys and watch Coronation Street and Eastenders?

I've seen these guys at Nationalist protests all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Can we start holding Gerry and his colleagues to the same standards? Once he's asked questions about FF or FG policies a few times, he has to shut up, because they've made their position clear already. Why are SF so special?.

Because the war is over? You either agree with it or not.

Armed struggle was nessecary.

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    Ruth Dudley Edwards? Conor Cruise O'Brien?

Still not comfortable with the term, mind.

...Gay Byrne, Eoin Harris, yep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Smart never came into it, the southern clowns lay back and tolerated a sectarian war in the northern counties, and allowed the brits to carry out terror attacks in Dublin and Monaghan, and several other places. What did the sheeple of our so called republic do, cowered down and took it up the butt. When our overlords seen how cowardly some of us were they decided to ride us again, such is the situation we now find ourselves in. We are cowards, and denigrate those who stood up for their rights, and would not lay down for the ba$tards.
    Get off your ass and stand up and be counted, Your kids will if you do not have the guts.

You're a f*ckin CLOWN!

CrinkElite wrote: »
    You're a f*ckin CLOWN!

Careful now. Everyone has to make a livin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How come there's no discussion here about Adams' call for a Truth Commission to be set up? Loads of rabble about how people want the truth yet a profound unwillingness by those most vocal; to actually do something which would uncover the truth.. mad that

Do FG or any of its lackeys here support the setting up of such a commission? I doubt it very much... truth me hole. All people want is a one-sided version of events so they can continue on with their vitriol and pigeonholing. Hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

do they equal the number of people who endorse what the ANC (Spear of a nation) were also responsible for?

didnt Ed Miliband's defend the armed struggle against apartheid a couple of years ago?

so what's the difference between the ANC and Sinn Fein?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Actually it refers to those who look to Britian, rather than Ireland. Such creatures do exist, though the term itself is overused.

On Boards, its use so often just reads as utter ballsology - a lowest common denominator type of slur, employed by those who cannot fathom that some folks on this island don't subscribe to their narrow notion of how Irish folk should think, feel and react by default.

Rather than engage in a reasoned or reasonable debate, it's lobbed in as a lazy catch-all insult, across a whole range of topics:

Don't like the GAA - West Brit

Watch the Royal Wedding - West Brit

Question funding for the Irish language - West Brit

The irony is so many of those who are quick to use it demonstrate little knowledge or understanding of Irish history and culture - as they appear to favour cheer-leading balladeer bufoons over genuinely brilliant exponents of the folk tradition, and would most probably have labelled Wolfe Tone, Douglas Hyde and Erskine Childers west-brit one and all.

It's also notable by its absence from the contributions of certain Republican posters on this site.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    On Boards, its (..........)of certain Republican posters on this site.

Overused and misapplied indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The kind of people who wear Premiership football jerseys and watch Coronation Street and Eastenders?

I've seen these guys at Nationalist protests all right.

I never quite understand this argument, are you castigating Republicans because they don't hate Britain enough or do you have difficulty separating the British Government's policies in Ireland with British culture?

Either way your argument doesn't stack up but hey it's a good sound bite that you read in the Irish Indo that makes you sound somewhat intelligent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Armed struggle was nessecary.

Outside of defensive actions was the armed struggle really necessary?

If the offensive armed struggle was necessary than surely it remains necessary now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The interview really shows that the apology offered by Gerry Adams in Dáil Éireann was nothing more than a political stunt following the murder of Garda Adrian Donohoel. There was no compassion in the apology, and there was no compassion in the interview last night.

SF continue to fail to recognize the immense damage that the actions of the IRA had upon society, particularly upon civilians who tried to stay out of the conflict. The Boston College tapes will expose Adams, and mark the end of his career in political life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

nothing like a few armchair experts to make you laugh - so much expertise on these forums - the intelligence that is on here is mind staggering - makes one wonder why the country is down the swanny. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

nothing like a few armchair experts to make you laugh - so much expertise on these forums - the intelligence that is on here is mind staggering - makes one wonder why the country is down the swanny. :D

There are many who know first hand the damage that the IRA have done to families and communities throughout Ireland. Don't be so quick to jump into condescending mode, it is highly offensive to those who have been affected by the actions of the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »
    There isn't any point in having an opinion if you can't prove it in this case.

It tends to be difficult to get proof of who was in the IRA Army Council, especially if somebody denies it. The same stuff happens with McGuinness after 73, no journalist, books, politicians or police opinions will be good enough for some.
    The peace process collapses if he says he was in the IRA and names who was responsible or the peace process collapses because he doesn't?

Well it hardly would be because he doesn't, sure that's what he has done for years. It might damage a fragile peace process as you said yourself, I think it would carry on anyway at this stage, just damage Adams politically.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The interview really shows that the apology offered by Gerry Adams in Dáil Éireann was nothing more than a political stunt following the murder of Garda Adrian Donohoel. There was no compassion in the apology, and there was no compassion in the interview last night.

You want Enda style tears and choking? :rolleyes:
    The Boston College tapes will expose Adams, and mark the end of his career in political life.....
    ..and the peace process. But sure then you will have the mythical, elusive and modern phenomenon of 'closure' and you can 'move on' secure in the knowledge the 'sure we knew rightly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

There are many who know first hand the damage that the IRA have done to families and communities throughout Ireland. Don't be so quick to jump into condescending mode, it is highly offensive to those who have been affected by the actions of the IRA.

there are plenty of people who know about damage on both sides of communities and families - not exclusive to one group.

my post was referring to all these "experts" that seem to know everything, even tho they were probably not even born and have no idea what actually went on up north. just regurgitating what they hear.

i.e. armchair experts.

it has nothing to do with the Facts of what went on, so I think your reply to my post is misunderstanding it.

• Advertisement

You want Enda style tears and choking? :rolleyes:

No. To begin with I would welcome explanations surrounding unsolved murders, and closure for the families of the disappeared.

Is that too much to ask for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

No. To begin with I would welcome explanations surrounding unsolved murders, and closure for the families of the disappeared.

Yes I think it is too much to ask. I dont think its rational to expect honesty from either the British establishment, the Provisional movement or indeed Unionism.

We will never get the full story behind what happened during the Troubles. People also had a lot of left over questions that never got answered after the violence of the 20s. We just have to deal with it. I say this as someone who had close family killed during the Troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The Boston College tapes will expose Adams, and mark the end of his career in political life.

Brendan Hughes' book has been published for around three years now. Believe it or not accusing Gerry Adams of being in the IRA isn't a new political development.

K-9 wrote: »
    It tends to be difficult to get proof of who was in the IRA Army Council, especially if somebody denies it. The same stuff happens with McGuinness after 73, no journalist, books, politicians or police opinions will be good enough for some.

Most of them in public life have admitted their roles, and they didn't have to in most cases. Why should Adams admit to something he wasn't just to placate people who said he was. People with something to gain from saying it. Political gain, monetary gain or career gain.

Well it hardly would be because he doesn't, sure that's what he has done for years. It might damage a fragile peace process as you said yourself, I think it would carry on anyway at this stage, just damage Adams politically.

McGuinness's evidence at Bloody Sunday Tribunal caused massive friction within Republicanism, don't underestimate how fragile it all is.
    I don't as yet vote for SF or am I a supporter of all their policies but I can appreciate just what has been done to keep the process on track within that movement, it has been monumental and downright dangerous for the leaders.

From one man? Yes! Yes it absolutely is. Adams has said republicans will cooperate fully with a truth and reconciliation process in which everyone is involved and admits the role they played. That sounds fair enough to me.

As for the disappeared, as Adams pointed out in the Prime Time video, the ICLVR have stated that IRA volunteers have cooperated with the commission fully.

Do you think Adams has an encyclopedic record of every person every killed or that he personally buried the disappeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭golfball37

I think thats what everyone wants.

As an aside was Adams apology anymore or less sincere than Champs apology for the ruination of a nation or was that still Lehmans fault? Believe it or not people have died in this state as a result of all parties not just Adams and his crew.

Politicians play politics with everything, don't act so surprised.

He has said he will meet any family member and answer as best he can...what more do you want?
    If somebody has contradictory evidence to what he is saying then present it, otherwise it's time to shut up.
    You can't just keep calling somebody a liar based on a guess.

SF continue to fail to recognize the immense damage that the actions of the IRA had upon society, particularly upon civilians who tried to stay out of the conflict. The Boston College tapes will expose Adams, and mark the end of his career in political life.

He doesnt apologise, he's condemned. He does apologise, he's condemned.

As for the actions of the IRA, if the gerrymandered, corrupt, bigoted regime in the post-partition north is what passes for society then thank God the IRA damaged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Also the last thing Adams wants is a truth commission, you can be sure of that. There's too many vested interests on all sides in NOT having one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes I think it is too much to ask. I dont think its rational to expect honesty from either the British establishment, the Provisional movement or indeed Unionism.

We will never get the full story behind what happened during the Troubles. People also had a lot of left over questions that never got answered after the violence of the 20s. We just have to deal with it. I say this as someone who had close family killed during the Troubles.

Indeed, that's why I find the calls for a truth and reconciliation process hollow. It doesn't suit any side that was involved.
    Most of them in public life have admitted their roles, and they didn't have to in most cases. Why should Adams admit to something he wasn't just to placate people who said he was. People with something to gain from saying it. Political gain, monetary gain or career gain.

Some find it difficult to believe that a big player in the foundation of the PIRA has so little knowledge of acts in the early years of the same organisation. I think its a reasonable position to be skeptical on.
    McGuinness's evidence at Bloody Sunday Tribunal caused massive friction within Republicanism, don't underestimate how fragile it all is.
    I don't as yet vote for SF or am I a supporter of all their policies but I can appreciate just what has been done to keep the process on track within that movement, it has been monumental and downright dangerous for the leaders.

Well as somebody who has voted SF, I think the peace process would get over it. McGuinness admitted his membership and things carried on, same would happen with Adams once the initial drama was over, maybe without him though, because he has denied it for so long.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement