Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams on RTE PrimeTime--29-05-13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

FTA69 wrote: »
    Also the last thing Adams wants is a truth commission, you can be sure of that. There's too many vested interests on all sides in NOT having one.

Why is he pushing for it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I never quite understand this argument, are you castigating Republicans because they don't hate Britain enough or do you have difficulty separating the British Government's policies in Ireland with British culture?

Either way your argument doesn't stack up but hey it's a good sound bite that you read in the Irish Indo that makes you sound somewhat intelligent.

Neither - I just love the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Also the last thing Adams wants is a truth commission, you can be sure of that. There's too many vested interests on all sides in NOT having one.

That must be why he is continually pushing for one. Reverse psychology. Clever bugger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

West Brit though doesnt seem to get used in reference to Ulster Unionists and Loyalists.

I've far far more respect for Unionists and Loyalists than I do for West Brits, indeed they're viewed as ****ing morons by many actual unionists (remember John Bruton's pleading with the IRA to lay down its guns?). The West Brit would be akin to a Black person from the Windies who despises all things Black and West Indian. It's a servile, forelock tugging, cap doffing, self-loathing mentality.
    Can we start holding Gerry and his colleagues to the same standards?

When we start holding the BA/British Govt and other belligerents to the same standards. Asking SF to spill their guts while allowing those off the hook who, you know, actually caused the conflict is little other than evidence of people's own double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Neither - I just love the irony.

But it's not ironic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Could you imagine what a truth commission would do to FF never mind SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

circadian wrote: »
    Could you imagine what a truth commission would do to FF never mind SF.

What would it do to OSF/IRA/SFWP/DL/LP, try opening the can there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 General Monck

Had a watch of the first 10 minutes of this documentary. Typical rte Sinn Fein bashing rubbish. If they're looking for someone to blame, why don't they blame the British Government for creating an enviornemnt where this could happen?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Had a watch of the first 10 minutes of this documentary. Typical rte Sinn Fein bashing rubbish. If they're looking for someone to blame, why don't they blame the British Government for creating an enviornemnt where this could happen?

Because RTE is not SF's propaganda mouthpiece.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Brendan Hughes' book has been published for around three years now. Believe it or not accusing Gerry Adams of being in the IRA isn't a new political development.

We all know he was in the IRA, what is not as well known is his close involvement in specific cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed, that's why I find the calls for a truth and reconciliation process hollow. It doesn't suit any side that was involved.
    Just like the IRA allegations....why don't they call his bluff then?

Some find it difficult to believe that a big player in the foundation of the PIRA has so little knowledge of acts in the early years of the same organisation. I think its a reasonable position to be skeptical on.
    Again, how long can you be sceptical on a guess, how excluding can you be because you 'feel in your waters' that he was a member of the IRA?
    Does he have to resign if he admits to being in the IRA, even though you and Enda and Mrs Windsor and the dogs in the street already 'knew'? Isn't that what people want here, they can't convict him so they want him to fall on his own sword so that they can feel all righteous and morally upstanding?
    What purpose would that serve...do you think Pearse Doherty could hold the ranks as well as Adams has done?

Well as somebody who has voted SF, I think the peace process would get over it. McGuinness admitted his membership and things carried on, same would happen with Adams once the initial drama was over, maybe without him though, because he has denied it for so long.
    I don't think the peace process would recover at all, there is a reason he is probably the longest serving party leader in Europe, I know we all have benefitted from his political savvy and leadership. Every single one of us.

If they're looking for someone to blame, why don't they blame the British Government for creating an enviornemnt where this could happen?

Because it might mean the search light of truth shines across the border and starts to illuminate the failings of the mealy mouthed succession of morons who populated the Dail through the bad old days who only cared about insulating themselves from the conflict*.

*Albert Reynolds exempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

We all know he was in the IRA, what is not as well known is his close involvement in specific cases.

We all know Owen O'Callaghans money found its way into Champs wife's bank account. What he/she did with it is anyone's guess too I suppose?

How exactly do you know? Out of interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No, they are the FF/FG centre right, comfortable political class mouthpiece, least we ever forget it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Happyman42 wrote: »

Because they have far to many of their own dirty secrets.

Its not rocket science.

Its not rocket science.

It is to our southern, sound-bite gobbling, ignorers of context.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Seaneh wrote: »
    No, they are the FF/FG centre right, comfortable political class mouthpiece, least we ever forget it.

Indeed, they've never upset them, have they? ;)

It's flawed reasoning to conclude that if they aren't in SF's pocket, they must be in somebody's pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »

I don't know, we've had inquiries recently into murders so I doubt it's a big conspiracy against Republicans or a matter of calling Adams bluff.
    Again, how long can you be sceptical on a guess, how excluding can you be because you 'feel in your waters' that he was a member of the IRA?
    Does he have to resign if he admits to being in the IRA, even though you and Enda and Mrs Windsor and the dogs in the street already 'knew'? Isn't that what people want here, they can't convict him so they want him to fall on his own sword so that they can feel all righteous and morally upstanding?
    What purpose would that serve...do you think Pearse Doherty could hold the ranks as well as Adams has done?

He's a politician, I'm naturally skeptical of all of them.

To me it is no big deal, unlike yourself, I've voted for an SF candidate with Adams as leader. Adams will retire soon enough anyway so I don't really see that as a point.
    I don't think the peace process would recover at all, there is a reason he is probably the longest serving party leader in Europe, I know we all have benefitted from his political savvy and leadership. Every single one of us.

Still amazed you haven't voted for a candidate from this party with such a wonderful leader!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Didn't think that reply through thoroughly, now I want to know whose propaganda mouthpiece they are?

It is to our southern, sound-bite gobbling, ignorers of context.
    Spot on.
    People really need to question exactly what they are doing here, what the end game of all this will be.
    In their efforts to 'get' Gerry, they will expose all the testimony in Boston and bring the process tumbling down. Do they cod themselves that there aren't those in the Unionist camp waiting to opt out over something like this?
    A lot of the peace is dependent on those who don't want to be seen bringing it down, but would in a heart beat. There are those on the fringes of the republican side who would do it too.

• Advertisement

SamHall wrote: »
    Didn't think that reply through thoroughly, now I want to know whose propaganda mouthpiece they are?

As I said:
    Indeed, they've never upset them, have they? ;)

It's flawed reasoning to conclude that if they aren't in SF's pocket, they must be in somebody's pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

SamHall wrote: »

Think the lowry tapes avoidence answers that for ya!!

K-9 wrote: »
    I don't know, we've had inquiries recently into murders so I doubt it's a big conspiracy against Republicans or a matter of calling Adams bluff.
    I mean, call his bluff and agree to a truth and reconciliation commission. That solves everybody's problems.

Still amazed you haven't voted for a candidate from this party with such a wonderful leader!

You're sceptical of me now, ever consider faith healing?:rolleyes:
    I have never voted for them in a national election for my own reasons, I have voted for a local councillor, but that was because I knew him mre than about his politics, which I don't consider all that important on a town council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Outside of defensive actions was the armed struggle really necessary?

If the offensive armed struggle was necessary than surely it remains necessary now?

I and others believe that it was, yes.

Conditions have changed for the nationalist population significantly, so no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Nodin wrote: »
    I and others believe that it was, yes.

Conditions have changed for the nationalist population significantly, so no.

So basically you are saying that the long war was not about national liberation it was about civil rights or something? What conditions have changed significantly for the nationalist population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So basically you are saying that the long war was not about national liberation it was about civil rights or something? What conditions have changed significantly for the nationalist population?

It was about a number of things...policing, housing, tolerance of sectarian violence, conditions in the workplace have all greatly improved.

Why are you asking me about things that are well known? Are you, perchance, trying to justify the dissident campaign and using me as a springboard for your wee rant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

How come there's no discussion here about Adams' call for a Truth Commission to be set up? Loads of rabble about how people want the truth yet a profound unwillingness by those most vocal; to actually do something which would uncover the truth.. mad that

Do FG or any of its lackeys here support the setting up of such a commission? I doubt it very much... truth me hole. All people want is a one-sided version of events so they can continue on with their vitriol and pigeonholing. Hypocrites.

Even in the absence of such a commission why wont the government assist families that are looking for answers. A couple of weeks ago was an anniversary of the belturbet bombing in cavan and shatter refused to release the files. If it was the british government holding onto them then that would be somewhat understandable as they would want to keep their dirty dealings in such events a secret. What is it that the irish government are concealing in relation to those murders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Even in the absence of such a commission why wont the government assist families that are looking for answers. A couple of weeks ago was an anniversary of the belturbet bombing in cavan and shatter refused to release the files. If it was the british government holding onto them then that would be somewhat understandable as they would want to keep their dirty dealings in such events a secret. What is it that the irish government are concealing in relation to those murders

Collusion, it was a big thing with the Cosgrave government in the seventies, that is why there will never be a truth commission. The ministerial low life that allowed the atrocities to take place and cancelled investigations into the same, could be described as war criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It happened on 28 December 1972. The names of the Belturbet bombers are generally known unlike the names of the Enniskillen bombers. Sinn Fein gives great recognition the Edentubber five who blew themselves up on the way to do the same as Enniskillen to another Remembrance Day gathering in 1957. Why don't they make public the Enniskillen volunteers names and give them a celebration every year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

It happened on 28 December 1972. The names of the Belturbet bombers are generally known unlike the names of the Enniskillen bombers. Sinn Fein gives great recognition the Edentubber five who blew themselves up on the way to do the same as Enniskillen to another Remembrance Day gathering in 1957. Why don't they make public the Enniskillen volunteers names and give them a celebration every year?

Probably because some of the people that planted that bomb in Enniskillen fled the country and were never brought up on any charges. The UVF members that were involved in the Beltubet bombing were likewise never brought up on any charges in relation to this, nor were the people with the expertise to construct the device. Why are the government files kept secret

Advertisement