Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train From Dublin to Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

bk wrote: »
    This is ironic as you are the only one trying to do the back seat modding here.

You have yet to add a single constructive comment to this thread.

Hilly Bill, it looks to me that because you are annoyed at the valid points I'm making and have no come back to them, all you are doing is trying to disrupt the thread.

I see similar actions from other posters making childish jokes, it is pretty sad really.[/QUOT

You may need to re read the thread so. The Op asked for the fare, i posted that fare so please do tell how that wasnt constructive?
    What valid points have you made regarding what the OP asked in the first post?
    Have a look at the thread title and make a note of the word TRAIN. It doesnt say BUS nor does it ask about what is the best option to Cork so why are you going on about buses and giving out to the one poster that actually gave the OP the answer to the question in their opening post?
    Annoyed? whats to be annoyed about? :)

Con Logue wrote: »
    Perhaps we should have threads with No Bus H8erz labels :D

I cant wait until the Tour de France starts and for someone on here to suggest to Bradley Wiggins to get the bus instead .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Now had bk told the OP about the 99 Euro family fare that would have been fairness in action...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

This is ironic as you are the only one trying to do the back seat modding here.

You have yet to add a single constructive comment to this thread.

Hilly Bill, it looks to me that because you are annoyed at the valid points I'm making and have no come back to them, all you are doing is trying to disrupt the thread.

I see similar actions from other posters making childish jokes, it is pretty sad really.

You're doing what you do here and that is to promote bus travel at the expense of a rail alternative where it exists. The OP found a bargain family fare all the way to Cobh and despite your best efforts to literally de-rail the thread the OP took the train.

I can feel your pain from here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In fairness Richard, not a single rail-fan mentioned this fare "promotion" * either, but then how could any of us have known that it applied to the OP, when the OP didn't mention anything about taking his whole family in any post.

The OP clearly makes it sound like he is asking about a standard adult ticket.

When the OP mentioned he had gotten that fare, I immediately acknowledged that it was a great deal and that with such a deal for a family of four it would be nicer to go on the train due to the face to face seats and table.

To be perfectly honest, had I known he was taking the whole family, I would have mentioned this fare promotion, along with price of the bus. I would even have said that in this case the train was worth the few extra euros.

* It should be pointed out that it is a temporary promotion, it is ends 7th of May.

• Advertisement

it doesnt end on the 7th of may. You can also get a 3 day unlimited bus and rail for e99.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    it doesnt end on the 7th of may. You can also get a 3 day unlimited bus and rail for e99.

Well that isn't what the Irish Rail website says:

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp?i=4639
    The above fares are promotional offers and are available until 7th May 2013 from your local station.

Perhaps they will extend it, but this is the facts for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

The train is the only way to get to Cobh by public transport, isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Con Logue wrote: »
    The train is the only way to get to Cobh by public transport, isn't it?
    You can get the ferry near Passage over to Carrigaloe and walk into Cobh, like I do.

Well that isn't what the Irish Rail website says:

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp?i=4639

Perhaps they will extend it, but this is the facts for the moment.

The facts of what?

• Advertisement

The facts of what?

That it is a special promotion that ends the 7th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Con and Richard Logue are brothers and they like to share internet time and its obvious by how much they appear to be online together launching themselves at the "enemy". However, they could be the same person, but I wouldn't like to speculate. I'm not back seat modding, but a lot of their contributions to this thread are merely piss taking and lacking in substance. I consider Con to be the biggest culprit as I have been on the receiving end before. Richard tends to be the alter ego and care, but is lead by the (I'd say older Bro, Con) and that kind of defeats things. In general (and one does not have to be an expert) there continues to be a merry band of rail supporters on the forum that resort to veiled piss taking in an attempt to wind people up. This leads to bans and that's what they want. It has been happening for years and I think the agro in rail debates would lessen if more analysis was applied to how certain posters behave.

Just an opinion and I will highlight it as it happens to me from now on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Con and Richard Logue are brothers and they like to share internet time and its obvious by how much they appear to be online together launching themselves at the "enemy". However, they could be the same person, but I wouldn't like to speculate. I'm not back seat modding, but a lot of their contributions to this thread are merely piss taking and lacking in substance. I consider Con to be the biggest culprit as I have been on the receiving end before. Richard tends to be the alter ego and care, but is lead by the (I'd say older Bro, Con) and that kind of defeats things. In general (and one does not have to be an expert) there continues to be a merry band of rail supporters on the forum that resort to veiled piss taking in an attempt to wind people up. This leads to bans and that's what they want. It has been happening for years and I think the agro in rail debates would lessen if more analysis was applied to how certain posters behave.

Just an opinion and I will highlight it as it happens to me from now on.

Banned for two weeks. Attacking posters rather than individual posts will not be tolerated, nor will back seat modding -- and more so when you knew your action would likely get you a ban.

And if you follow your promise of repeating this type of post you will be banned outright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    You can get the ferry near Passage over to Carrigaloe and walk into Cobh, like I do.

You could do that. But if you're relying on public transport to get from Cork to Cobh then why rely on an infrequent bus service from Cork to the ferry on the Monkstown side - large gaps on the timetable outside of peak hours - complete with a bit of a walk from the ferry terminal @ Rushbrooke into Cobh town itself.

No, train is easier methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

that the rail goes west of Fota while the road goes east to Cobh Cross and switches back gives the rail a decent advantage distance wise. With Tivoli and Dunkettle not likely to happen any time soon it'd be nice if IE could lift max line speed from 50mph to at least the 60mph allowed on the new bit from Glounthaune to Midleton - you know, sprinkle some of the magic fairy dust that got Cherryville-Kilkenny and Portarlington-Athlone made 100mph :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

A very scenic railway journey too, with all the marine backdrops - great choice by the OP for an extended rail day out with the family !!! :D

8 pages and all that was asked was what the train fare was :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

That it is a special promotion that ends the 7th of May.

31st of August it ends.

31st of August it ends.

It is great that they have extended it, but it was factually correct that at the time I posted the IR website said 7th of May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

This is going to be another student promotion that will never end.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    This is going to be another student promotion that will never end.

Great if they don't end, but promotions do end.

For instance the cheap tickets if you book 3 days in advance ended, as have cheap tickets on peak time services.

It is great that they have extended it, but it was factually correct that at the time I posted the IR website said 7th of May.

I didnt say that it wasnt.

Great if they don't end, but promotions do end.

For instance the cheap tickets if you book 3 days in advance ended, as have cheap tickets on peak time services.

Was there ever cheap tickets on peak services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I've said many times on this forum that I used to take rush hour trains between Dublin and Cork on Fridays/Sundays for €20 return before Irish Rail decided to scrap that method of cheap yield management fares. This was back in 2010/2011.

Cheaper, yes. There use to be €43 return to Cork at peak times when booked 3 days in advance up until a few months ago.

€43 tickets are now only available when booked 7 days in advance and peak time tickets cost €69 no matter how far in advance you book.

That is a significant increase in ticket prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

No point in booking in advance at those prices. Walk up fares provide better flexibility.

i wouldnt pay those fares! ridiculous prices! Irish rail should link up with a deal company like travago do with hotels and if a service like an evening one is slow to sell, give a deal to fill seats. they need bums on seats and full trains instead of charging 69€ for a service that has never drastically improved... a fulk train with people paying 40 return is obviously better than a half full train with ppl paying 69

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

davidlacey wrote: »
    i wouldnt pay those fares! ridiculous prices! Irish rail should link up with a deal company like travago do with hotels and if a service like an evening one is slow to sell, give a deal to fill seats. they need bums on seats and full trains instead of charging 69€ for a service that has never drastically improved... a fulk train with people paying 40 return is obviously better than a half full train with ppl paying 69

Virgin Trains linked up with Megabus and offers passengers really cheap fares between London and Liverpool on off-peak trains that they can't fill. Info here

Great thinking by Virgin here, people originally go onto Megabus to book a coach and then find a really cheap rail fare and go for that instead.

Advertisement