Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train From Dublin to Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

bk wrote: »
    Why, it is turning into a relatively interesting discussion that is only slightly off topic of the original post, but actually on topic for the thread title and this forum.

I will say however that I've been impressed with generally how on time the bus has been. I have suffered less delays then I had typically suffered on the train and certainly haven't suffered any awful more then 1 hour delays that seemed to happen too frequently on the train.

I'd love to see a contribution from you that doesn't take the opportunity to promote buses!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I will say however that I've been impressed with generally how on time the bus has been. I have suffered less delays then I had typically suffered on the train and certainly haven't suffered any awful more then 1 hour delays that seemed to happen too frequently on the train.

I was impressed with time keeping when it compares to other "so called" expressway services offered by BE which operate which operate to schedules of their own.

They need to cut the nightime buses by 15 minutes at least, when I took the 03.00 a while ago it was in Dublin Airport at 06.05 and scheduled for 06.30. Departuers between 19.00 and 05.00 each way need to be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Bk, it would be interesting if it was a new discussion that hasnt been done before everytime someone mentions dublin to cork by train. Slightly off topic? Can you please show me where in the opening post does it mention anything about buses. Why hijack a thread to promote your own prefrences?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd love to see a contribution from you that doesn't take the opportunity to promote buses!

Go back two or three years and you will find many contributions from me supporting Metro North and Dart Underground (Both of which I'm big fans of) among many other topics.

Unfortunately these projects are unlikely to go ahead for the foreseeable future, due to lack of money. So instead my focus has shifted to cheaper projects that make the most of the infrastructure we already have to improve public transport.

That means things like RTPI, Leap Card, Integrated ticketing, smart phone information apps, route planners, google transit, etc.?

I talk about the new intercity bus services, because it is about the only major new development in public transport in the past three years and probably the most important development in intercity public transport in 30 years.

They have brought two important innovations to the market:
    - Cheap, fast and comfortable intercity travel
    - All day and all night public transport between our cities.

Buses may not be fancy or sexy, but they are a cheap and flexible way to improve public transport and I hope we see much more of this.

Again I'll point out I'm not a fan of bus or rail, I'm a fan of public transport in all it's forms and I look at the bigger picture of supporting public transport.
    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Bk, it would be interesting if it was a new discussion that hasnt been done before everytime someone mentions dublin to cork by train. Slightly off topic? Can you please show me where in the opening post does it mention anything about buses. Why hijack a thread to promote your own prefrences?

Again are you another person that is suggesting that we shouldn't point out to a person another potentially much cheaper option for the question they ask?

I have to say that is a very twisted logic.

Of course the OP might prefer the train and decide to pay more to take it, but surely it is more then fine to also point out some cheaper alternative options.

Since then this thread has evolved and expanded as do many if not most threads here on boards.

If you aren't interested, then don't read it. Simple as that. Suggesting a thread should be locked, just because you don't like the direction it is taking, it back seat modding and not welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

Go back two or three years and you will find many contributions from me supporting Metro North and Dart Underground (Both of which I'm big fans of) among many other topics.

Unfortunately these projects are unlikely to go ahead for the foreseeable future, due to lack of money. So instead my focus has shifted to cheaper projects that make the most of the infrastructure we already have to improve public transport.

That means things like RTPI, Leap Card, Integrated ticketing, smart phone information apps, route planners, google transit, etc.?

I talk about the new intercity bus services, because it is about the only major new development in public transport in the past three years and probably the most important development in intercity public transport in 30 years.

They have brought two important innovations to the market:
    - Cheap, fast and comfortable intercity travel
    - All day and all night public transport between our cities.

Buses may not be fancy or sexy, but they are a cheap and flexible way to improve public transport and I hope we see much more of this.

Again I'll point out I'm not a fan of bus or rail, I'm a fan of public transport in all it's forms and I look at the bigger picture of supporting public transport.

Again are you another person that is suggesting that we shouldn't point out to a person another potentially much cheaper option for the question they ask?

I have to say that is a very twisted logic.

Of course the OP might prefer the train and decide to pay more to take it, but surely it is more then fine to also point out some cheaper alternative options.

Since then this thread has evolved and expanded as do many if not most threads here on boards.

If you aren't interested, then don't read it. Simple as that. Suggesting a thread should be locked, just because you don't like the direction it is taking, it back seat modding and not welcome.

Well, I think it has been a rather interesting thread, especially when bus journeys have been described as an "epiphany".

That's a new one on me :)

Have you accepted Aircoach as your personal saviour mode of transport yet?

:D

• Advertisement

I don't believe in Aircoach. Does that mean I'm going to hell?

I don't believe in Aircoach. Does that mean I'm going to hell?

Repent and Believe before it's too late!

Con Logue wrote: »
    Repent and Believe before it's too late!

Thank you Father. What shall my penance be?

Thank you Father. What shall my penance be?

To be stuck in tailbacks at Newlands Cross in both directions. And may the Lord have mercy on your bladder.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sigh, very childish!

Despite me normally leaving at rush hour on a Friday, I rarely see any significant tail backs at Newlands cross. It is busy yes, but never like the old horrible M50 days.

Anyway Newlands Cross will be gone in two years time.

And while no Aircoach isn't my saviour as a regular public transport user it is the best thing to happen to public transport in years.

It is saving me about €1300 per year (holiday to the US) and I get to see my family and friends back in Cork far more frequently and for longer then was ever possible with Irish Rail and BE.

So yes, I'm very thankful for the significant improvement this has introduced to my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I can report that the 1700 Dublin to Cork train has been on-time the last two Fridays in a row. This comes from my parents who used the service.

I was completely pro-rail up until IÉ got rid of the yield management fare system that saw me get €20 return fares from Dublin to Cork on weekends that I went down. Once those fares were scrapped I started using the bus and I realised that BÉ done "relief" buses on busy Friday and Sunday evenings. These buses had me to Cork in 3hr30min with a 20min break in Urlingford. You have to remember back then most trains took 2hr50mins between Dublin and Cork, so I wasn't losing much time.

At this time both myself and BK saw an obvious niche in the market, non stop buses between Ireland's two biggest cities. Many posters on here shouted the suggestion down, but here we are around two years later with an almost 24hr non stop bus service between the two cities.

Last week two of my Corkonian friends needed to get to Dublin Airport for a flight. They were completely against travelling "with peasants on a toiletless bus stopping at every sh1tehole on the way" as they put it". They never knew that GoBÉ or Aircoach existed. I told them about the bus and They were shocked with how good the GoBÉ service was, one of them was quite shocked that a bus actually had a toilet on board. They slept like logs from Fermoy to Newland's X, nice and rested ahead of their flight. They said the only way they'd ever go back to the train was if IÉ brought their fares down.

The way I see it, IÉ are making great improvements to their timings, but whether the people on here like it or not the bus will always win until fares come down significantly. People are starting to understand that the train is a rip off and bus no longer takes 5hrs on the old N7/N8. Things like having a few beers on the train and going for a sit down meal are definite pluses, but I and many others won't pay a minimum of €20 extra return for this privilege anymore, especially when the trip is only 3hrs. As I said already the catering is dire anyway since Network Catering stopped operations.

I don't think threads like this should be locked, if anything they only lead to a bit of harmless healthy debate. The OP got the rail info he needed and also got a selection of other options which he might not have known existed, no harm at all.

I wouldn't suggest locking the thread at all, in fact I welcome the busgasm posts as one Friday night I propose to build a drinking game around them.

Verbatim unattributed quotes in the Irish Independent will win a bottle of Verve Cliquot *

*not really

bk, the op asked what the walk up fare would be. The answer was given. The op didnt ask for a debate on the merits of the bus over the train. Posting the price of the bus is one thing but hijacking a thread to tell us once again as to why you love the bus is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

bk, the op asked what the walk up fare would be. The answer was given. The op didnt ask for a debate on the merits of the bus over the train. Posting the price of the bus is one thing but hijacking a thread to tell us once again as to why you love the bus is another.

Like I said before, it was foggy, not bk who suggested the coach as an alternative. And a soon as he said it, Richard came along with his anti-bus rant before bk even made an appearance in this thread. Con's post should have been the end of it but no, the usual anti-bus and anti-rail crew came along to derail (yet) another thread.

I don't see why you think bk is the only one to blame. If you disagree with him, do it constructively. If you dislike him, add him to your ignore list. If you have a problem with his post, report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The pro-rail brigade are just as bad as the anti-rail brigade in my opinion.

There is room for both types of transport and to say that either one is not needed on this route is folly.

I would never say both forms of transport are not needed. What I am against is the notion that somehow IC rail is not needed because a bus with a jacks plies the same route.

I suppose the pertinent question is, if the "buses with a jack" take a significant number of passengers from Irish Rail (potentially as much as 40% on the Cork route!) at the same time as the government is cutting subsidies to Irish Rail, then what does Irish Rail need to do to remain competitive and survive?

Perhpas this is a question that should be asked and discussed in another thread.

I wonder how much strain the sewerage system in Urlingford is under from the vast horde of bus travellers? Perhaps Aircoach should be asked to make a contribution for maintenance seeing as their passengers are making theirs.

Kilkenny County Council should undertake a fact finding mission. Would a motion of the full council be need to be passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I suppose the pertinent question is, if the "buses with a jack" take a significant number of passengers from Irish Rail (potentially as much as 40% on the Cork route!) at the same time as the government is cutting subsidies to Irish Rail, then what does Irish Rail need to do to remain competitive and survive?

Perhpas this is a question that should be asked and discussed in another thread

Well the taxpayers could save around 5+ million per year if the WRC and Nenagh branch line were closed. If political leaders want political railways operating then they will have to pay for them. I better stop now as I can see the direction that the threat might take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Con Logue wrote: »
    Would a motion of the full council be need to be passed?

He said motion

devnull wrote: »
    The pro-rail brigade are just as bad as the anti-rail brigade in my opinion.

There is room for both types of transport and to say that either one is not needed on this route is folly.

In fairness I would really fall somewhere between two stools on the extreme train or no train views...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He said motion
    Humour fine, but decorum please. :)

Perhpas this is a question that should be asked and discussed in another thread.

At last :)

markpb wrote: »
    Like I said before, it was foggy, not bk who suggested the coach as an alternative. And a soon as he said it, Richard came along with his anti-bus rant before bk even made an appearance in this thread. Con's post should have been the end of it but no, the usual anti-bus and anti-rail crew came along to derail (yet) another thread.

I don't see why you think bk is the only one to blame. If you disagree with him, do it constructively. If you dislike him, add him to your ignore list. If you have a problem with his post, report it.

Congrats on your new Moderator role.

Where did i say that i only blame bk?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

Show me where you criticised anyone else?

markpb wrote: »
    Show me where you criticised anyone else?

I read that too quickly, i thought it said circumcised :)

Its fascinating on this very forum to see the kind of service that punters get where there is no railway for buses to compete with:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056416364&page=26

In respect of the often ballyhooed Navan railway, Dempsey delivered all right, but unsurprisingly it wasn't the railway that he delivered.

Perhaps we should have threads with No Bus H8erz labels :D

• Advertisement

This is ironic as you are the only one trying to do the back seat modding here.

You have yet to add a single constructive comment to this thread.

Hilly Bill, it looks to me that because you are annoyed at the valid points I'm making and have no come back to them, all you are doing is trying to disrupt the thread.

I see similar actions from other posters making childish jokes, it is pretty sad really.

Advertisement