Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train From Dublin to Cork

Options
  • 26-04-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how much a same day return ticket is from Dublin to Cork if I buy it in the station? I cant buy it online (no money in the account but I have cash). It's €66 online. Is it much more expensive buying the ticket at the station? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Dgriff wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how much a same day return ticket is from Dublin to Cork if I buy it in the station? I cant buy it online (no money in the account but I have cash). It's €66 online. Is it much more expensive buying the ticket at the station? Thanks.

Its in around €75

• Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Its in around €75

Slightly O/T but that's just crazy money.. I can do the trip in about 2 hours from Dublin and it costs me roughly €30/40 in diesel + tolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Slightly O/T but that's just crazy money.. I can do the trip in about 2 hours from Dublin and it costs me roughly €30/40 in diesel + tolls.

That assumes you own a car and have a license.

LeftBlank wrote: »
    That assumes you own a car and have a license.

Yes but there can't be any justification for almost double that for the rail option other than inefficiency and stupidity/greed.

OP I'd get the bus rather than the train if that's the price they want. Same journey time (more or less) and there's a lot of good feedback here on the coach options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In that case why don't you give him a lift? :)

In that case why don't you give him a lift? :)

That assumes we were travelling at the same time, plus the risk of having a random stranger in the car for 2 hours!!

Plus I have a very wide taste in music that not everyone might enjoy - everything from 80s pop to classic rock to current-ish chart and some dance stuff. :p

That assumes we were travelling at the same time, plus the risk of having a random stranger in the car for 2 hours!!

Plus I have a very wide taste in music that not everyone might enjoy - everything from 80s pop to classic rock to current-ish chart and some dance stuff. :p

I'm sure you can do him a good turn and both can have a sing song as a compromise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dgriff wrote: »
    Luxury coach between dublin and cork is a good alternative to the train. Only 3hours each way. It's also much cheaper at about €22 return for GoBé from busaras and tickets are available from the ticket machines in the bus station.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

the closer the time to the departure the dearer the ticket. more then a week in advance and its €20 each way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Luxury coach between dublin and cork is a good alternative to the train. Only 3hours each way. It's also much cheaper at about €22 return for GoBé from busaras and tickets are available from the ticket machines in the bus station.

The term "luxury" is subjective. Can't bring a hot drink on board and you better not need the toilet if the bus doesn't provide one on board.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The term "luxury" is subjective. Can't bring a hot drink on board and you better not need the toilet if the bus doesn't provide one on board.

Well Foggy mentioned GoBE, all of which provide a toilet and there is nothing stopping you brining a hot drink onboard. The GoBE coaches even have flip down tables with a cut out for a coffee cup holder.

Paying 4 times more for the train with pretty much the same journey time is madness IMO

Btw the train is actually €43 return (don't forget to include the online booking fees) if booked 7 days in advance. Still over double the cheapest bus ticket of €18 if booked one day in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

bk wrote: »
    Well Foggy mentioned GoBE, all of which provide a toilet and there is nothing stopping you brining a hot drink onboard. The GoBE coaches even have flip down tables with a cut out for a coffee cup holder.

Paying 4 times more for the train with pretty much the same journey time is madness IMO

Btw the train is actually €43 return (don't forget to include the online booking fees) if booked 7 days in advance. Still over double the cheapest bus ticket of €18 if booked one day in advance.

For me, sitting in a bus contemplating Newlands Cross and points south is also madness, but hey, whatever cranks your shaft.

There's room for more than one mode of transport and this place shouldn't always be about a pis sing contest by bus enthuasiasts against the railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

And dont forgot the luas fair to and from Heuston. Aircoach drops you on bacholers walk, 22 euro return.

Steoob wrote: »
    And dont forgot the luas fair to and from Heuston. Aircoach drops you on bacholers walk, 22 euro return.

All fine and dandy if cost is your main consideration. Thankfully we live in a country where right now Ryanair isn't the only airline, TV3 the only channel on television, Lidl isn't the only supermarket, Dutch Gold isn't the only beer and the bus is your only option for public transport.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But Con, what do you get for your extra money?

I've been taking the train to Cork for 10 years, now I've switched to the bus.

Personally I find the bus actually more comfortable, much quieter, smoother ride, more comfortable leather seats that recline, lights turned off at night so you can sleep.

And of course I'm saving a fortune, about €1300 a year!!

Btw Ryanair is great, not fancy but will get you there cheap. Lidl is great too, you should try some of the master pieces some of my Polish and Spanish friends cook up with food bought in Lidl. Dutch Gold.... Yeah far enough :D

But Con, what do you get for your extra money?

I've been taking the train to Cork for 10 years, now I've switched to the bus.

Personally I find the bus actually more comfortable, much quieter, smoother ride, more comfortable leather seats that recline, lights turned off at night so you can sleep.

And of course I'm saving a fortune, about €1300 a year!!

Btw Ryanair is great, not fancy but will get you there cheap. Lidl is great too, you should try some of the master pieces some of my Polish and Spanish friends cook up with food bought in Lidl. Dutch Gold.... Yeah far enough :D

All valid points but I will never switch mode. I can tolerate the Aircoach from Dublin to the airport but not a four hour journey.

Did Ryanair for three years going over and back between Dublin and Bristol and after hours of my life queueing an hour and a half before a flight, unless my hand was really forced I would never do it again.

As for Lidl, I'm an Aldi man myself :D

Con the Aircoach to Cork takes just 3 hours.

Im sure the Op only wanted to know the walk up fare. The argument over the train or the bus on the Cork route has been done to the death at this stage.

Thats the return fare. Can you do cork and back in 2 hours for 30 to 40 euros plus tolls?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Con the Aircoach to Cork takes just 3 hours.

You are also far less likely to see dutch gold and those consuming it by the 6 cans for €5 pack on the bus! The bus is quieter and far more relaxed than a bustling noisy train with children screaming parents and others talking loudly on their phones and drunks falling around and into your lap.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Im sure the Op only wanted to know the walk up fare. The argument over the train or the bus on the Cork route has been done to the death at this stage.

I think you can guarantee that if anyone starts a thread about travelling to and from Cork by train one or two particular individuals will always try and derail* the thread by arguing that the O/P should travel by bus regardless of the fact that the argument over whether a bus or train is a *better* way of travelling between Dublin and Cork has indeed been done to death at this stage...

* Yes I know!

In fairness if someone does ask about getting from Cork/Galway/Limerick/Belfast to Dublin, it is only fair to mention the bus as an option too. Perhaps they aren't aware of it, many of them are relatively new services.

In the end it will be up to the op to decide what best suits them, armed with all the relevant info.

In fairness if someone does ask about getting from Cork/Galway/Limerick/Belfast to Dublin, it is only fair to mention the bus as an option too. Perhaps they aren't aware of it, many of them are relatively new services.

In the end it will be up to the op to decide what best suits them, armed with all the relevant info.

Except they didn't ask for the bus price, they asked for the train price.

So what you are saying Losty, is that it is better not to tell people of a way to potentially saving themselves €53

That is very kind of you!!

So what you are saying Losty, is that it is better not to tell people of a way to potentially saving themselves €53

That is very kind of you!!

Fair play to you; now here's a medal :rolleyes: It's thoughtful of you to assume that he actually wants to travel on the bus in the first place. Not all of us likes or suits bus travel for many reasons so each to their own and let him be; he asked a question and he got his answer.

Fair play to you; now here's a medal :rolleyes: It's thoughtful of you to assume that he actually wants to travel on the bus in the first place. Not all of us likes or suits bus travel for many reasons so each to their own and let him be; he asked a question and he got his answer.

I know you love buses bk but you do come across as a hard core anti rail campaigner in some of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I know you love buses bk but you do come across as a hard core anti rail campaigner in some of your posts.

It's okay though because you, Con and Losty will always be guaranteed to come along and tell him why buses are horrible things and remind us that not everyone likes them. Foggy gave the OP a second option, the anti-bus crew rolled in to fix the problem and bk cane along to defend it. It's predictable as anything but bk is far from the only culprit.

markpb wrote: »
    It's okay though because you, Richard and Losty will always be guaranteed to come along and tell him why buses are horrible things and remind us that not everyone likes them. Foggy gave the OP a second option, the anti-bus few rolled in to fix the problem and bk cane along to defend it. It's predictable as anything but bk is far from the only culprit.

How very dare they!

:D

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    It's okay though because you, Richard and Losty will always be guaranteed to come along and tell him why buses are horrible things and remind us that not everyone likes them. Foggy gave the OP a second option, the anti-bus few rolled in to fix the problem and bk cane along to defend it. It's predictable as anything but bk is far from the only culprit.

It's a disgrace, Joe.

Advertisement