Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2014?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Hi all,

Just a quick word of advise before the big day tomorrow.

Remember to concentrate on questions you're strong on (especially section III) and MAKE SURE you go through every possible answer and see if it fits the question. GAMSAT testers are notorious for constructing questions where what seems obvious is incorrect. It's a way of ascertaining your observation and reasoning skills under pressure. This method may take more time than expected, but your chances of selecting the correct answer is dramatically increased.

I used this method personally last year and got 82 in Section III - Im now happily doing medicine in the UK! I remember that Id about 30-35 random guess questions with 10 mins to go. However, the 75-80 preceding that were done exceptionally well.

Best of luck tomorrow!!

JohnnyBeiggs you said previously you were already happy doing medicine in the uk? and you get results now when no one else does.. what's that about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mecci

No, Im Irish! Has anyone else got results yet?

Yeah you already got your results...last year. You're cruel

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RD/ID

Needlessly cruel and blatantly dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mecci

It's 9pm in Sydney, looks like they're going to keep us waiting until Monday.

Mecci wrote: »
    It's 9pm in Sydney, looks like they're going to keep us waiting until Monday.
    It's going to be another sleepless night on Sunday then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Just for comparison -

Ireland 2013
    percentile-curve-ireland-2013.png

UK 2013
    EjUQmEK.png

Ireland 2014
    percentile-curve-ireland-2014.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8 federerisbetter

Yikes - so looking at that points are lower this year. Does this mean cut off will probably drop this year? Does not favour those who are likely to defer until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Paddy_mac

Yikes - so looking at that points are lower this year. Does this mean cut off will probably drop this year? Does not favour those who are likely to defer until next year.

I'm finding it hard to get my head around the changing position of the curve year to year. I've done London 2013 ( and got 54, 50th percentile) and dub 2014 tests. I'm worried London was an easier test and the cao cutoffs could rise. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 federerisbetter

Good point - seems very strange that it's not standardised between tests. Unless the Irish are just at a much lower standard than the Brits...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 person78

Anyone have any idea why the Australians get it 3 days before us??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Academia

person78 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea why the Australians get it 3 days before us??

Maybe 'cause the A in ACER stands for Australian.

I know the A stands for Australia...but that doesn't mean they can't be out at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

Gosh I just want them already! Put me out of my misery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

Academia wrote: »
    Maybe 'cause the A in ACER stands for Australian.

Oh no he didn't

Has anyone got any ideas why the distribution curve for Australia is shifted so far to the right. It puts the average score about 6-7 pts higher than in Ireland or the UK. Is that related to the A in the acronym as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HopefulGEM

Woo, 60 is the ~90/91st percentile this year. Should be fine for ucd:D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Someone or group of persons just decided not to mail the Irish results today, it just makes no sense!

HopefulGEM wrote: »
    Woo, 60 is the ~90/91st percentile this year. Should be fine for ucd:D

But in Oz it would be the 70th percentile for UCD. Is the marking easier or are the students smarter?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Results not out, yet percentile curve out? Something is not right.

Results not out, yet percentile curve out? Something is not right.

I just went to the Australian percentile curve and changed Australia to ireland in the link.

• Advertisement

I just went to the Australian percentile curve and changed Australia to ireland in the link.

So your saying that curve you posted isn't the Irish curve?!

So your saying that curve you posted isn't the Irish curve?!

It is the Irish curve, look at the title in the link

It is the Irish curve, look at the title in the link

Your last comment said you changed Australia to Ireland in the link?

Your last comment said you changed Australia to Ireland in the link?

This is the Irish curve:

registration.acer.edu.au/images/results/percentile-curve-ireland-2014.png

This is the Australian curve:

registration.acer.edu.au/images/results/percentile-curve-australia-2014.png

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

I'd say Person78 seen the Australian curve and chanced changing the name to see if the irish one was on the online server but not navigable via the website itself. This often happens. Basically Acer have the curve on their server and its accessed via the address the above user entered. Fairly certain that is the Irish curve.

trendy88 wrote: »
    I'd say Person78 seen the Australian curve and chanced changing the name to see if the irish one was on the online server but not navigable via the website itself. This often happens. Basically Acer have the curve on their server and its accessed via the address the above user entered. Fairly certain that is the Irish curve.
    That's it exactly!

That's it exactly!

Thanks, get you now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

So what are people thinking, will it be at some stage in the early hours of tonight/tomorrow morning?

Thankfully this wait is nearly over, have been waking up every couple of hours over the weekend after having mad dreams about these results!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Paddy_mac

Have a plan B in case. It takes away some of the nerves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Academia

It's not a do or die affair people! After receiving my result around this time last year and failing, I went back to the drawing board, regrouped, studied in the library for 10 or so weeks and last September got an okay score which is probably why I was so relaxed in March. Many people do the gamsat multiple times before they succeed; this much is true.

Advertisement