Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Would it be possible to bring back the checker-board effect on the list of threads? I prefer tables that have that, at the moment it just looks like a solid wall of white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

I hate this new layout. How do I change it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Dav wrote: »
    We've already mentioned that a big part was the make the page look a lot less like an Excel file - if anyone suggest that the home page of any website should look like that then I'm afraid that I must disagree with you with every fibre of my being. Our old home page looked horrible. It was build by developers, not created by designers and we've fixed that. Our designers are extremely capable people (and are all Boardsies) and aren't going to make suggestions they don't think will work.

So you have gone for form over function?

Boards.ie isn't just any website, it's a vast vast discussion site.

If you remove the functionality that helps navigate the site, then you might as well put up a pair of tits on it if all you are concerned with is how good it looks.

As it is, much of the screen is wasted, the announcements box looks like an afterthought, and well, pretty much all the other criticisms listed here.

If you are going to get defensive about the criticism, then why have a feedback thread at all, especially if as you say, we already had a chance to have our say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Chucken wrote: »
    So new threads get lost for days until somebody stumbles upon them!
    As I said, the only way to see new threads is to trawl through every forum...its madness!!

What about spammers that are caught by ordinary members by checking the virgin threads??

Hang on, so brand new posts don't show on the front page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Relax everyone, don't panic.

It's just like when New Coke came out and everyone was all like 'oh I like the old one better'.

But then after a while they forgot all about the old taste and that's why we all drink New Coke today.

True story that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hate it, it just doesn't flow nice, had it all sorted before, could see 50 posts on home page now just down to 10 or whatever.

CHANGE IT BACK OR GIVE US A CHOICE

The thread links on the homepage never functioned as described above. If you click on the postcount it'll take you to the last unread post of the thread, just like before.

ok, only see that now. It's way over the far side of the page whereas before it was right beside the thread title in brackets.

Much more potential to click on a wrong thread here...maybe some row banding would be nice? Or a pair of tits perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone else kind of like the wall of text homepage?

When I go on to boards I always look at the the whole (all 50) Latest Threads tab and I sometimes find cool threads in random forums that I would never have found otherwise. I can't be bothered scrolling through 5 pages to do that.

What is the point of the Thanks tab?? I don't see how it's useful.

Can someone tell me the difference between Latest Posts and Trending? This isn't twitter!

If you got rid of the Trending and Thanks tabs and made a lot more than 12 threads visible I think that would be a huge improvement. I also don't like the new skin but I gather that will be the only skin in times to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

What's the point in showing the number of thanks in a thread, it seems pointless. Also don't see the need to have the number of posts in it's own column.

getting rid of those two columns would give more space so the second line of the post, with the "Latest post a moment ago by username in Android Devices" could fit on the same line as the thread title, meaning twice as many posts can fit on the first page.

As it is with the new layout and my laptop screen resolution/size I can only see 4 threads without the need to scroll, which is annoying. Once i scroll I can still only see a max of 7 threads on my screen at a time.

I do most of my browsing from the homepage and this change will put me off browsing as much.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Hate it. Old front page, I could see 50 thread links, now I can see 12 :(

"Latest post a moment ago by" is redundant information, but takes up a line under each link.

As an old-skin user, I get a different visual style/UI on the front page to the rest of my pages. I selected the old skin because I prefer it. Now I get forced to use this new one on the front page, which I don't like and is inconsistent with the rest of the site for me.

Please bring back the old one, at least as an option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MadYaker wrote: »
    I also don't like the new skin but I gather that will be the only skin in times to come?

If that's the case, I'll have to significantly reduce my time spent on here, since the new skin is like someone slowly slicing off the outer layers of my eyeballs with a razor blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Thread links never acted like this on the homepage

Haven't encountered anything like that so far, but will keep an eye out. Any particular tab?

Fix incoming for this one

It was a newish thread in PI

Spear wrote: »
    If that's the case, I'll have to significantly reduce my time spent on here, since the new skin is like someone slowly slicing off the outer layers of my eyeballs with a razor blade.

Everyone knows that the outer layer is the best of all the eyeball layers.

Much in the same way the old home-page was the outer-layer of boards. It too has been shaved off and been replaced by hipster lens free glasses.

Sure they look good to the person who is wearing them, but all other normal people hate them. And rightly so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If the new skin is the awful eye-hurting whitespace one, I'd have to stop using this as well.
    Trying out new things is great and I don't mean to put down the guys putting work into this, but at least keep the options to use the different versions yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Can we have something like this please

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Hang on, so brand new posts don't show on the front page?

Latest posts can but not new threads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

MadYaker wrote: »
    Anyone else kind of like the wall of text homepage?

When I go on to boards I always look at the the whole (all 50) Latest Threads tab and I sometimes find cool threads in random forums that I would never have found otherwise. I can't be bothered scrolling through 5 pages to do that.

What is the point of the Thanks tab?? I don't see how it's useful.

Can someone tell me the difference between Latest Posts and Trending? This isn't twitter!

If you got rid of the Trending and Thanks tabs and made a lot more than 12 threads visible I think that would be a huge improvement. I also don't like the new skin but I gather that will be the only skin in times to come?
    Yeah it's not like reddit has much problems with being a wall of text. The old design needs sprucing up, it looks old, but I don't really see how this is any different, few tables and less information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Can't see thread titles when viewing the full site on mobile running Opera Mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hate it, it just doesn't flow nice, had it all sorted before, could see 50 posts on home page now just down to 10 or whatever.

CHANGE IT BACK OR GIVE US A CHOICE

I think I logged in the quickest I have ever done:cool:

having said that im probably just use to the old homepage.

WIZE wrote: »
    Can we have something like this please

This is better. Well done, file named very accurately.

I particularly like where the forum name is given it's own column. Very important I think, as it is, it's bundled in and not easy to distinguish.

WIZE, exactly how good are you at dancing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

its seems ALOT of us boards.ie users aren't happy with the new look.......so Mods, is there any chance of going back to the old one??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Chucken wrote: »
    Latest posts can but not new threads.

Boooouurns

I loved finding random threads. Am in my arse going into all the different boards to find something interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like wize's one, the forum names having their own column is important
    That and fitting way more threads onto the main page and it would be better.

(Still want a choice though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

im an awesome dancer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Old one was just a much more efficient use of space. It was:

Thread title
    Thread title
    Thread title

Which is how I mostly read it. And if you wanted to look at forum-titles, you could browse that column.

New one appears to me as:

Thread title
    *** noise ****
    Thread title
    *** noise ****
    Thread title
    *** noise ****

In a bigger font, which reduces the information content further.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

its seems ALOT of us boards.ie users aren't happy with the new look.......so Mods, is there any chance of going back to the old one??

Nothing to do with the mods, Cmods or admins I'm afraid. Site development is the responsibility of the developers and staff in the Boards office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

boards.ie has been less user friendly since about July last year.

There used to be a nice forum menu across the top, now its a floating bar that annoyingly drops down and obscures the screen when you accidently mouse over it - worse, on an ipad it just randomly drops down and you cant get rid. The floating menu also drops right over the reply box and obscures what you are typing on an ipad.

The fisher-price theme is not eyeball friendly at all.

There is now less information on the home page, it doesnt match with the skin I use, there is a decrease in functionality.

I just had a look in the wayback machine at how boards.ie used to look and it was so much more concise, easier on the eye, and didnt have annoying dropdowns in the past. I liked the excel style thread listing.

I dont like change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Posted this earlier but the thumbnail didn't work. Something like this with the ability to change the number of threads per page would be perfect.

7zBFWm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

bluewolf wrote: »
    I like wize's one, the forum names having their own column is important
    That and fitting way more threads onto the main page and it would be better.

(Still want a choice though)

You cannot have a choice I'm afraid, vBulletin is on it's last legs. There are vast infrastructural changes behind the new home page which better the site.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

AH has spoken!

dpea0g.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement