Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i think there needs to be more ads... there's just not enough ads... how about selling a tiled background image to the highest bidder? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Dav wrote: »
    That's actually a banner ad and it's been on the page for a while. It's a space we do sell, but we're making a push on Talk To forums at the moment. So it's content will change over time (but it's the same size as what was there yesterday, so that hasn't changed).
    This has been suggested by a couple of people, it certainly seems like a handy solution, but we'll have to see exactly how easy or difficult it is to implement before saying if it'll happen or not.

Only really noticed it today, I'm one of those mean AdBlock users.

Prompted me to have another look at my resolution though. On a 32" TV, but sitting 6" away from it, generally have the zoom on Chrome at 125%.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paul72

dont like it can i have the old design back please with sugar on top cant get used to it ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Our old home page looked horrible. It was build by developers, not created by designers and we've fixed that.

I really dont think the old one looked horrible. Im not saying the new is horrible either btw. But I personally loved to go back to the home page and see what other discussions are going on.
    I also loved the excel style and I could scan through them all very quickly, and then during busy times click f5 and get all new ones, amazing. Ahhhh the good ole days, Ill miss em!

No big deal though, Im sure everyone will get used to it. But change isnt easy, sometimes :pac:

Finally, can I just point out that this thread started in April and we've gone ahead with the current design based on some of the feedback that we got then. I'm not for one second trying to play this as a get out of jail card, but we didn't get a huge amount of feedback at the time (certainly no mention of 12 posts being a problem from anyone), so this is what we rolled out with. We have some work to do on making sure we get these things more notice though, so I'll put my hand up there and make sure that I try harder the next time we would like your input.

So keep in mind that all your feedback will be read and factored in to a review internally, but obviously enough I can't say what will happen or even when it will happen.

Every business person should know that what their customers say they want and what they actually may be two different things. A couple of dozen boards members do not represent the "2.3+ million" visitors a month boards.ie receives.

Yes the old site might have been a bit cluttered, but do little tweaks first for god's sake.

Regarding you not getting feedback, it wouldn't have taken much effort to send an email to each member with a link to preview the new design and a simple poll. I, and many others, never even saw this thread before today so don't go blaming us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Better than how it now looks like for me

http://omg.wthax.org/6jDtin.png

Tested in Chrome (both incog. and normal), Firefox and Safari.

I'm getting this too on Firefox, Win XP.

Just cant see any threads on the Homepage, the tabs don't work, the flyouts for Cartoon_Head and My Forums don't work (the link does though).

I can't close the hiring announcement at the top.

Tried clearing cache, restarting browser, logging out etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Hmm. Right I like the overall look of the page and love the topic pop up, brilliant. Agree with many of the above:

1. Increase the number of posts.
    12 is ridiculous and I say that as a mobile browser too, much happier to scroll down than load a page-that has always bugged me on the boards mobile site.

2. Time.
    There is no need for the "thanks" column, make that a specific time stamp and I'll be happy

3. Alignment.
    My OCD is coming out, it would look better if the "announcements" blue background either lined up correctly with "latest posts" or was visibly at a different level. At the mo it looks like its just out of line

4. Bold/Unread threads
    This is not working on any of the tabs including "my forums" and its already driving me nuts. Please make it work again!

Other than that it looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I have no option for the last post I read on a thread only the start of the thread :confused:

I have no option for the last post I read on a thread only the start of the thread :confused:

Click the post count number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I don't have the little arrow box button that brings me to the first unread post in the thread. Every time I open it, I'm brought back to first post. Title doesn't seem to go from bold to non-bold? When thread is read. Looks good though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm I do agree that there needs to be an option for more threads per page, it's very annoying, find it harder to read and there is less stuff.. Has sys just moved now into boards.ie?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Hmm I do agree that there needs to be an option for more threads per page, it's very annoying, find it harder to read and there is less stuff.. Has sys just moved now into boards.ie?

It moved to give room for Talk To... to become its own category.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I saw that, was just wondering if that happened now or before now and I didn't notice.

The old front page wasn't great and neither is this one, if you want to move away from pure excel style threads and such, you shouldn't just reduce them, you should make something more graphical? I dunno. This is what I see, seems very unnatural. neither informative nor pretty.

http://i.imgur.com/skX9kdK.png

I like the trending tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Chucken wrote: »
    How do I find new threads (Virgin) on the homepage?

Anyone know the answer to this?

I don't like it. I like how the Talk to, Boards.ie and Adverts.ie tabs were moved to the left but I hate the homepage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Anyone know the answer to this?

That option is gone completely.

http://i.imgur.com/skX9kdK.png

I like the trending tab.

:eek:

Have you ever closed a tab?

I don't like it. I like how the Talk to, Boards.ie and Adverts.ie tabs were moved to the left but I hate the homepage.
    Yeah that stuff is quite nice! Like that.
    :eek:

Have you ever closed a tab?
    I have about 5 times that open sometimes :eek:

That option is gone completely.

Thats ridiculous! Whats the reason for that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I can't stand it!! Bring back the old one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Thats ridiculous! Whats the reason for that?

Danny posted a reason here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Just after logging in and seeing the new homepage, I really don't like it. It only shows 12 different threads and I know I won't be arsed clicking through the 5 pages.

Bye bye clicking into random threads.

So, to see if there are new threads on the site, we'll have to go to each forum individually. I cant see any other way of seeing new threads unless they happen to pop up under new posts :confused:

Its a bit sad that people are being corralled into "their forums". Im sure a lot of people, myself included, learn something from reading threads that are outside their comfort zone.

It'll be heaven for spammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

How Do I get more latest posts on the new home page. I used to have ~ 50 latest posts, now there is only 12 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

I can elaborate on it further too :) Here is the number of page impression on the front page over a period of time:

261199.png

As you can see the number of virgin threads hits is 1,980 out of 3.3 million ..less than 0.01%. Trending is getting a push to highlight more topics on Boards across our entire forum base instead of just the heavily trafficked forums like AH/Soccer/Motors so it stays. The resources required to implement virgin threads (at least as a priority, launch day tab) just doesn't stack up.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

How do I distinguish between threads I've read and those I haven't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Boombastic wrote: »
    How do I distinguish between threads I've read and those I haven't?

At this time you cannot.

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

No offence but I don't like it . I like looking down the left hand side to identify the forum then I read the thread title.

I can elaborate on it further too :) Here is the number of page impression on the front page over a period of time:

261199.png

As you can see the number of virgin threads hits is 1,980 out of 3.3 million ..less than 0.01%. Trending is getting a push to highlight more topics on Boards across our entire forum base instead of just the heavily trafficked forums like AH/Soccer/Motors so it stays. The resources required to implement virgin threads (at least as a priority, launch day tab) just doesn't stack up.

Danny

So new threads get lost for days until somebody stumbles upon them!
    As I said, the only way to see new threads is to trawl through every forum...its madness!!

What about spammers that are caught by ordinary members by checking the virgin threads??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

WIZE wrote: »
    No offence but I don't like it . I like looking down the left hand side to identify the forum then I read the thread title.

Yeah I prefer this
    And it doesn't show many new posts because everything is too big
    And if I click onto a thread I've read before it brings me to the OP instead of latest post

At least the old one keeps randomly popping up
    I would like the option to keep using it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement