Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Page Redesign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it ain't broken, don't 'fix' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If I click on a thread it's automatically brings me to the first page. With the time stamp gone I can't even go to the last post. Used to bring me to the first new post.

If you click on the number of posts it brings you to the first new post. It's in no way obvious that it does that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The one thing we are really mindful of is current standards in design, we don't want to design something which has multiple configurations-this leads to messy development which in the long term won't make the site any better.

I'm not outright saying no or that we won't review this but I'd really like to convey to people that we're doing our utmost to build something which is really great for everyone. We are a community at heart and the last thing we want is to make changes which ostracize our core community.

Then when no user is telling you the change is even a remotely sensible idea it's pretty obvious what you should do then yes?

The My Threads tab :)

I don't appear to have one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Argh! Change! Kill it with fire!

Actually, it doesn't look too bad. I'd echo the concerns about the 12 threads limit, and to be honest the gaping blank space in the middle of the page really bugs me. Reminds me of early Google+ layouts, which got changed pretty sharpish after public outcry.

But nothing there that can't be tweaked. I'm hardly going to quit Boards in a furious strop over it. I barely pay attention to the front page anyway, when I have the subscribed list and the little asterisk to tell me if there's a new post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Is it just me or has the 'My Forums' option gone? Anytime I've clicked on it I get the latest posts from all forums in the new layout...

No your right clicking on the my forums link in the header no longer brings you to the My Forums list.

I preferred the older template of Forum Name: Thread Title. Also the way to get to the last unread post being the post count doesn't jump out at you.

The info/functionality is still there with the new layout but I think the UX is better the old way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Is it just me or has the 'My Forums' option gone? Anytime I've clicked on it I get the latest posts from all forums in the new layout...

That is a known bug which will hopefully be sorted soon.
    How do I get to my subbed threads now?

Can't say I'm digging it just yet.

As Danny said, the my Threads tab.
    If I click on a thread it's automatically brings me to the first page. With the time stamp gone I can't even go to the last post. Used to bring me to the first new post.

You need to click the number of posts and this will bring you to your last unread post.

This will do the job for subbed threads: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

But ugh.

Not liking that homepage at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Also looks like this for me on Chrome 28.0.1500.63 m. Can't scroll up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

How do I find new threads (Virgin) on the homepage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

If I'm in one of the tabs, lets say My Forums and click the forums tabs again it cuts down to the second thread in that section. Would it be possible to reload the threads when you click the tab?

It's also kind of annoying having to scroll back up to the top of the page after moving to the next set of threads.

Apart from those small things I think it looks good. I didn't like it too much when I first saw it yesterday, or whenever it was, but it's grown on me since. I didn't like the new skin either when it first came out but looking at the old beta now it just seems horrible. I'm guessing it'll be the same with this is a few days.

oh and I think a grey line in between threads on the dark skin would be nice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

- Likewise, we're aiming to expose more relevant content to logged out users who visit the homepage, so instead of seeing the latest post they'll see 'popular' content that people are actively discussing

Arent these the same thing?

tbh its a pretty awful layout tbh.

I generally always land on the homepage to see if anything takes my interest before jumping into my forums that i most regularly post it.

Frankly i'll be bypassing the homepage if i dont have the option to put it back to what it was and i'd imagine so will a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

nesf wrote: »

You're not alone. Thread about this in Site Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Far too much wasted space. 12 posts per page? 12? What is this? A website for ants?

Increase this to at least 30 posts per page and it will look a lot better.

Just cleared my cache and checked the new layout. While I get the need to change, is it possible to switch "Latest Threads" and "My Forums" once you've logged on? I much prefer seeing threads in the forums I've subscribed to first over anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I don't like it. I can't quickly jump through different forums now. Everything I want to go form somewhere like After Hours to Photography, I have to go back to the home page and try to find my way from there which is kinda annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Preferred it the way it was but if the forum names were ut back in it's own column on the left it would be much better, thread titles seem too close to the edge or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Only 12 newest posts is not good. No time of post is not good. Extra tabs for trending/thanks, not good. Perhaps this could all be corrected by a personalisation function in CP?

For the moment I would like to be able to choose the prior layout.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There doesn't seem to be a way to look at the My Forums page anymore? When I click my forums it just takes me to the front page. Basically I've the same issue as boneyarsebogman said above, I don't want to be taken to the front page everytime I log in and would rather have a page that shows the latest posts in forums I'm subscribed to

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

nesf wrote: »

Better than how it now looks like for me

http://omg.wthax.org/6jDtin.png

Tested in Chrome (both incog. and normal), Firefox and Safari.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

And worst of all, so far, it defaults to the first post in a thread I've already read through, instead of the last page I viewed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This is what I'm getting at the moment. Can't scroll up any higher so the top of the page is obscured.

Win7 64bit, Google Chrome, ads hidden through subscription.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    This is what I'm getting at the moment. Can't scroll up any higher so the top of the page is obscured.

I'm the same...
    *undo - undo - undo*

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Danny says oops...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Far too much wasted space. 12 posts per page? 12? What is this? A website for ants?

Increase this to at least 30 posts per page and it will look a lot better.

Indeed feels like a website for ants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

mitosis wrote: »
    And worst of all, so far, it defaults to the first post in a thread I've already read through, instead of the last page I viewed.

The thread links on the homepage never functioned as described above. If you click on the postcount it'll take you to the last unread post of the thread, just like before.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Fix incoming, thanks for the info

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Using the old beta skin. Imposes the new skin for the front page, then switches to the chosen skin when you go into forums. Annoying inconsistency, especially with the recent differences introduced to the drop down tabs. Suppose it's another step towards making the old skins redundant.

Only 12 threads being shown is really annoying too, and there's too little information displayed regarding them. Functionality being compromised for aesthetics by the looks of things.

Overall, thumbs down.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Just cleared my cache and checked the new layout. While I get the need to change, is it possible to switch "Latest Threads" and "My Forums" once you've logged on? I much prefer seeing threads in the forums I've subscribed to first over anything else.

Good suggestion, we'll take a look into it. Thanks

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be a way to look at the My Forums page anymore? When I click my forums it just takes me to the front page. Basically I've the same issue as boneyarsebogman said above, I don't want to be taken to the front page everytime I log in and would rather have a page that shows the latest posts in forums I'm subscribed to

This is a bug, we'll do our best to get it sorted asap, Thanks for the heads up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement