Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rape always about power?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

honey83 wrote: »
    I agree...and the abuse to women. Some men who are abusive to their partners will rape them as well. I think many of these men are mentally ill and abusive. Teaching our sons that no means no is also important.

I think the majority of sons would already know this.

I certainly never needed to be told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 honey83

You would like to hope so but unfortunately it's still happening. I am from the US and a huge case happened in Ohio where a bunch of teen boys raped or watched an intoxicated young woman get raped and then posted it on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

You would like to hope so but unfortunately it's still happening. I am from the US and a huge case happened in Ohio where a bunch of teen boys raped or watched an intoxicated young woman get raped and then posted it on the internet.

Honey that's one case of a couple of unconscionable pricks amongst a population of how many people, nearly 400 million?

You have to give men more credit than that I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If a guy can't work out for himself that you don't have sex with someone who is too drunk to know what they are doing and he does this then he needs to be hauled before the courts.

I was just making the point that I don't think every young lad needs to be told "no means no".

It just makes it sounds like men have no control over their sexual desire.

Every ordinary decent man already knows that if someone changes their mind and says stop that's exactly what he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 honey83

I understand and I agree that most men aren't rapists and probably don't need to be told. However, I think in today's world it doesn't do any harm to plant a seed and discuss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I understand and I agree that most men aren't rapists and probably don't need to be told. However, I think in today's world it doesn't do any harm to plant a seed and discuss it.

If you teach your child to have respect for all people, then by extension they would instinctively know that no indeed means no. But as I also posted earlier in the thread, children can ignore what they've been taught, and into teenage and adult years as their personality develops, there's every chance they could grow up having ignored everything they've been taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

I can't see how it can be about anything but power, in all but very few cases. I think most reasonable adults consider sex to be a two-way street, with two willing participants. When one 'participant' is no longer willing, it's no longer a question of sex, (or at least sex as normal, healthy people define it). Some people get sexual gratification from exerting power, or humiliating others. 'Sex' and one person's 'sexual gratification' are not the same thing.

Advertisement