Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rape always about power?

Options
  • 25-04-2013 6:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

There is a generalisation widely held that rape is about power and not sex.

I find it incredible that so many people are so certain of every rapists motivations.

Are these people some sort of rapist whisperers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I was pretty certain "rapist whisperer" would be a googlewhack. I got two results. Yep, there are people as nuts as the OP out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There is a generalisation widely held that rape is about power and not sex.

I find it incredible that so many people are so certain of every rapists motivations.

Are these people some sort of rapist whisperers?

Is hitting someone over the head with a frying pan about cooking?

Depends, are we talking legitimate or illegitimate rape?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Legitimate rape being the rape by which women can't get pregnant of course.

Rape is a crime of violence using sex as the weapon.
    I'm sure there are as many reasons for raping as there are rapists, but ultimately it's about power in one form or another, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Rape is always about being an immoral, selfish & cowardly bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Is rape always about power?

I knew a Father Clint Power once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Probably a bit of both. I'd imagine that some rapists are weirdos who can't get laid and resort to rape. I'm sure they do get sexual enjoyment out of it (I'd guessing at least some of them do cum afterall which would verify the sexual pleasure motivation) but there are probably others who enjoy the power aspect (similar to people who get a thrill from torturing others).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's nothing sexy about rape so it must be something else.

Probably a bit of both. I'd imagine that some rapists are weirdos who can't get laid and resort to rape. I'm sure they do get sexual enjoyment out of it (I'd guessing at least some of them do cum afterall which would verify the sexual pleasure motivation) but there are probably others who enjoy the power aspect (similar to people who get a thrill from torturing others).

Sexual power over another is still power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Rape is no laughing matter!

Unless you're raping a clown!

Mod

Banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Candie wrote: »
    Rape is a crime of violence using sex as the weapon.
    I'm sure there are as many reasons for raping as there are rapists, but ultimately it's about power in one form or another, in my opinion.

You think it's always about power?

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Wasn't there a serial killer in America that used to force his victims to perform oral sex on him and then hit shoot them as he, you know...

One victim got away because (with a gun pointed to her head) pretended to enjoy it and your man lost interest and walked away - without killing her.

I think that was a certain power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

This will end well....

Human motivations are rarely singular. No it's not always about power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

MadsL wrote: »
    I was pretty certain "rapist whisperer" would be a googlewhack. I got two results. Yep, there are people as nuts as the OP out there.

I got 7,250,000 results. Don't forget that you're not allowed use quotation marks for a Googlewhack.

You think it's always about power?

Why?
    Think what a rapist gains from the rape.

Sexual power over another, physical power over another, psychological power over another.

A rapist takes what he wants by force, that's using power. What he might want in an immediate sense might differ, but I'd guess that power is a factor one way or another, somewhere in the layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Yeah, but remember that "some girls rape easy".

Think what a rapist gains from the rape.

Sexual power over another, physical power over another, psychological power over another.

A rapist takes what he wants by force, that's using power. What he might want in an immediate sense might differ, but I'd guess that power is a factor one way or another, somewhere in the layers.

How do you know power is their motivation though?

Maybe they just want sex so they rape as they have no morals?

Do they use physical power to take that sex by force? Or psychological power in the form of threat? Overcome their victim sexually, exerting sexual power over their victim?

Power in it's physical, sexual or psychological form is still power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I can't really think any of any reason it wouldn't be about or dominance over another person.
    I was about to point out that "taking no for answer" means they want sex right there but... I realized that's also exerting power so I dunno, I'd wager 99% of them are about power in some form or another.

Prostitution or some random hookup in a club would be a better choice than rape, TBH.

• Advertisement

Prostitution or some random hookup in a club would be a better choice than rape, TBH.

The rapist could be broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Sexual power over another is still power.

Well yes and of course thats a factor. But there is an insinuation that sexual pleasure someone gets from consensual sex is somehow different from that which a rapist gets. The physical sensation is the same so I doubt it. Of course they enjoy the power too.

mikom wrote: »
    The rapist could be broke.

You don't need money to pickup a random hookup.
    Plus, I hear prostitutes do tabs now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I've long been skeptical about this conventional wisdom. It seems to me that rape happens for many reasons, but high up the list is sexual gratification, violence and control being the means by which that is achieved.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Dave! wrote: »

Bill Clinton, Monica Lewinsky, 4evr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Does it matter?

Dave! wrote: »
    I've long been skeptical about this conventional wisdom. It seems to me that rape happens for many reasons, but high up the list is sexual gratification, violence and control being the means by which that is achieved.

But at the end of the day, let's say you rape a woman because she said "no" while you naked about to go at it... you clearly want to have sex but the moment you try using power to force her to have sex, it becomes more about power and less about sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I can never get my mind round the notion that only the victims of male rape in U.S Prisons are 'Gay' and the perpetrators aren't, (even with the stigma of being the bitch ) surely the perpetrators have to be that way inclined to be able to do that.

Do they use physical power to take that sex by force? Or psychological power in the form of threat? Overcome their victim sexually, exerting sexual power over their victim?

Power in it's physical, sexual or psychological form is still power.

Ok so then muggings are about power by using your logic.

• Advertisement

Ok so then muggings are about power by using your logic.

Technically it is. It's stealing something from someone by force using power.

Advertisement