Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHIELD Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ambrose has been the star of the group when it comes to singles action. I'll be very surprised if it isnt him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Reigns has the size and look WWE loves to push,with the added bonus of being a competent worker.Proper finisher established too.

Ambrose looks and acts like a lad who'd ask you for a few cent for a hostel and hasn't impressed me as a singles guy so far,bar his matches with Bryan,but everyone has a good match with him.

Rollins will be another bland Dolph Ziggler sort once The Shield run's it course.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,057 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Ambrose has been the star of the group when it comes to singles action. I'll be very surprised if it isnt him.

At the start I would have said Ambrose but Rollins has impressed me more now, would love a feud between these two

Reigns could be the new Batista :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I could see them get a run as faces before they do split, maybe they turn against the Authority and face The Wyatt Family down the road sometime, maybe at Mania. Can see the three of them as a unit dominating a large portion of the Royal Rumble too. I don't see the need to break them up any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,836 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Reigns has the size and look WWE loves to push,with the added bonus of being a competent worker.Proper finisher established too.

Ambrose looks and acts like a lad who'd ask you for a few cent for a hostel and hasn't impressed me as a singles guy so far,bar his matches with Bryan,but everyone has a good match with him.

Rollins will be another bland Dolph Ziggler sort once The Shield run's it course.
    Nothing bland about Rollins or Ziggler. Both put together excellent in-ring work, and both have characters that WWE could do a lot with if they so wished. The big problem with Reigns I would think is that I could never really see him as a believable face and that might lead to him getting boring as a singles competitor after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

All of them are capable of winning a world title imo. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Reigns has the look and a truly brutal looking spear. Rollins is a tremendous worker and Ambrose is just a great all arounder.

I think the time to split the group is coming alright.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    All of them are capable of winning a world title imo. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Reigns has the look and a truly brutal looking spear. Rollins is a tremendous worker and Ambrose is just a great all arounder.

I think the time to split the group is coming alright.
    Why though? They haven't even begun to get boring in the unit that made them so popular. Plenty of mileage in The Shield yet. We haven't even seen them as a face yet which I always expected we would.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

CSF wrote: »
    Nothing bland about Rollins or Ziggler. Both put together excellent in-ring work, and both have characters that WWE could do a lot with if they so wished. The big problem with Reigns I would think is that I could never really see him as a believable face and that might lead to him getting boring as a singles competitor after a while.

Reigns is working as the muscle and the muscle only so has not attempted to or been asked to show much in the way of personality. He could very well surprise you down the road.

It so long a since a faction was out together that was worthwhile it would be a shame if they split the Shield up anytime soon. I hope the Shield end up with a WWE champ or WHChamp in their ranks before they split. A face run as well. Also having than back has brought Japan style, epic 6 man tag matches into WWE that have made multiple shows really good.

Reigns is working as the muscle and the muscle only so has not attempted to or been asked to show much in the way of personality. He could very well surprise you down the road.

It so long a since a faction was out together that was worthwhile it would be a shame if they split the Shield up anytime soon. I hope the Shield end up with a WWE champ or WHChamp in their ranks before they split. A face run as well. Also having than back has brought Japan style, epic 6 man tag matches into WWE that have made multiple shows really good.

DM-ICE wrote: »

You might be right but I haven't even seen hints of it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

I'll give Rollins the benefit of the doubt,but Ziggler is the definition of bland.Wearing colourful t-shirts,saying ''whatevs'' in promos and flopping about like a dying fish in the ring does not a character make.

Reigns has presence and charisma,could easily see him making it as heel or face as a singles competitor.

I'll give Rollins the benefit of the doubt,but Ziggler is the definition of bland.Wearing colourful t-shirts,saying ''whatevs'' in promos and flopping about like a dying fish in the ring does not a character make.

Reigns has presence and charisma,could easily see him making it as heel or face as a singles competitor.
    Ziggler has great in-ring ability and has always carried his character well in the limited opportunities he has been given

Reigns does have a really good presence about him even in his restricted role. Once they don't stick him in a suit and trynto make him into the thoroughbred persona he was starting on NXT he will have a chance.

Thoroughbred could work as a nickname and play up his background alright but not the rest of that persona

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Reigns has been the one who has impressed me most. When I first saw him on NXT I thought the name they gave him was beyond goofy. I saw this guy with an awful suit calling himself Roman and thought this guy is not leaving developmental any time soon. The transformation into Roman Reigns: the intense, ass-kicking heavy of The Shield has been brilliant. I think he was the one they were most concerned about too due to inexperience worries but he has delivered big time.

I think there's something special about him and I could see him reaching Batista levels if they were to push him well.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Reign's face is tremendous:
    2zhgvwj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

He is very good, especially as of late. The subtle facial expressions he made when Ambrose was talking about being the only champ left in the Shield were class.

I can see him breaking out as a face, especially after the way he was gonna stand up against 3 others, before the rest pulled him out of the ring during the week.

The feeling this week is that when Roman Reigns does his babyface turn and split from the Shield, likely in February, that he'll be replaced with a new guy in the group. The name Mason Ryan has been thrown around as a possibility

Someone from Nxt would be better maybe Leo Kruger

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Someone from Nxt would be better maybe Leo Kruger

Callihan would be a good fit. Solomon Crowe or whatever his new name is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Callihan would be a good fit. Solomon Crowe or whatever his new name is.

I think so too. Though I do think his new Hacker gimmick could be great too if done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Well, it looks like it's the end for the Shield.

How have you enjoyed their run?
    How would rate them against other stables?
    Highlights?
    Where do you think the three guys can go with their career and how would you book them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Insideandout

I loved the Shield during their run as a stable, sure the constant 6 man tags week in week out became a bit lackluster after a while but the character development each member received was quite exciting to watch unfold.

I could see both Ambrose and Reigns going right into the main event given the right feud but I'd like to see Rollins built up somewhat, maybe with a US title run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

At least with what happened on Raw it brought peoples attention onto Rollins for a change.
    As far as a legacy goes. I'd put my own money down already now for a DVD compilation of their best matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Breaking up the Shield is a long term suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd love to see them as a face group for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

TripleAce wrote: »
    Breaking up the Shield is a long term suicide.

They sort of have been in their feud with the Wyatt's. They haven't been doing anything particularly heelish of late.

The only negative thing is that at the beginning there was still storyline "who is behind the shield" "why are they helping Punk" etc including that segment with Paul Heyman which we never found out if it was real or not. But no real explanation, just randomly attacking the faces.

Apart from that, an excellent group, great way to introduce guys from NXT and all three have different styles and could be future main eventers. They have had some excellent matches. My favourite was probably their first match against Ryback, Bryan and Kane at TLC 2012 I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The only negative thing is that at the beginning there was still storyline "who is behind the shield" "why are they helping Punk" etc including that segment with Paul Heyman which we never found out if it was real or not. But no real explanation, just randomly attacking the faces.

Where they not just hired by Heyman & Punk to help defend the title run, same way they were hired guns for the Authority? And the random attacks were to get noticed, like the Nexus only better.

A reunion, as faces, à la DX is already a certainty, could be a few years away but they are young enough
    No way WWE weren’t going to cash in on Reigns’ obvious appeal and I’m dying to see Ambrose as a main event heel.
    Looks like they want to ensure Rollins is up there with them, he definitely has a Jeff Hardy like appeal that could work, and with added actual mic skills

One thing that will take some getting used to is not seeing them in the swat gear…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

D-FENS wrote: »
    Where they not just hired by Heyman & Punk to help defend the title run, same way they were hired guns for the Authority? And the random attacks were to get noticed, like the Nexus only better.

A reunion, as faces, à la DX is already a certainty, could be a few years away but they are young enough
    No way WWE weren’t going to cash in on Reigns’ obvious appeal and I’m dying to see Ambrose as a main event heel.
    Looks like they want to ensure Rollins is up there with them, he definitely has a Jeff Hardy like appeal that could work, and with added actual mic skills

One thing that will take some getting used to is not seeing them in the swat gear…

I cant imagine them without it now. Id say Rollins will be ok but the other two could look a tad/ a lot generic based on what they wear.

Personally they have been booked great and Afte rover a year of being a faction (most than most factions in the WWE recently), they being broken up in the right way. A slow build that could erupt any time soon. personally the WWE have 3 ready made upper mid card wrestlers waiting to fill gaps left after WM by Trips, Taker and Brock.

With Cesaro on the verge of a push, Daniel Bryan being over the moon and these 3 guys becoming big time players, the future post Wrestlemania can be very bright if handled right.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

I'll miss how quickly they worked together, its not something you see much on WWE and I don't think they'll be allowed to work at such a high tempo in singles matches. Obviously Reigns is set for big things, I just hope they don't pull back on him like they usually do with their up and coming guys. Ambrose looks like he can be a great heel, I'm really looking forward to his promos on his own future. Rollins is lacking a bit in the promo and personality department though, he's great in ring and he can fill a void on the roster for an exciting high flyer that hasn't really been there since Jeff decided drugs were better than WWE. I just wonder would be better off in a tag team for another year or two.

I see them all as future world champs

Seth Rollins reminds me of Jeff Hardy and if pushed correctly as a face might achieve what Jeff did in WWE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I see them all as future world champs

Seth Rollins reminds me of Jeff Hardy and if pushed correctly as a face might achieve what Jeff did in WWE

I think he has that vibe too but I wonder with the lack of high spots nowadays if anyone will be able to get over to the extent Jeff Hardy did using that style.

Advertisement