Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHIELD Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Because Orton did so much for Cody Rhodes and Teddy DiBiase! Definitely keep Boreton away!

See if there's a wrestler-leader of the shield it automatically demotes the current shield members to lackeys, and puts heat on the already established star. So Orton, Ryback etc does them no good.

That said the most sensical fit (if you had to add someone new) would be Heyman as the mastermind. He's done a great job at being present and awesome but not stealing heat from Brock/Punk but adding to it. So I can see him doing the same with SHIELD. Being under Punk, I dunno. It didn't help any of the Nexus lads, and he'd do the talking for them. But it wouldn't be the worst and makes sense considering how they were introduced.

That, someone as a strictly manager type wouldnt be so bad, but if its a long established wrestler who was behind it then its just Nexus again, and they're doing fine as is. I think it's great to see three newcomers get a push like this that doesnt revolve around a longtimer, for all WWE's current faults they are pushing new stars like Ziggler, who granted has been around for a while but in his current incarnation has finally found his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

1.2 million buys says different,not bad for his boring domination of main events eh?!

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/wrestlemania-29-sets-earnings-record-for-wwe-1200414828/

Punk Taker was the best thing about wrestlemania

its why i bought it

not for Cena

DM-ICE wrote: »
    The tag titles are not worth anything and would be like a demotion!

they could to break out into singles competition and go after a world title over the summer. If the great Khali can be WHC champion, or if Sheamus can be two time WWE champion in less than a year why not Ambrose with the backing of Rollins and Reigns?

anything esle is a waste of the good position they were put in. Why fanny about with minor titles? Reigns already failed in football, he is not going to feck off to UFC or anything, Ambrose and Rollins are wrestlers so won't go anywhere either, have proved they are dedicated so get behind them and make full use ofhem I say.

the mid card titles need a lift though

no harm for the Shield to have them for awhile to elevate their stable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

the mid card titles need a lift though

no harm for the Shield to have them for awhile to elevate their stable

WWE Ladder

l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l The Shield are here
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l The Mid Card Is here
    l-l
    l-l The Mid Card titles are Here - If Shield win those title they end up here as well.
    l-l
    l-l

It wouldn't elevate them at all

WWE Ladder

l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l The Shield are here
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l The Mid Card Is here
    l-l
    l-l The Mid Card titles are Here - If Shield win those title they end up here as well.
    l-l
    l-l

it would help the story line me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They could go down the "we don't need titles" route, but then that's basically saying the titles aren't worth a damn (which aside from the world title they're not lets be honest) the "stable who have a rake of titles" thing has been done to death so they don't need to do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

Ambrose holding the MITB would be a great move, imagine Cena being tired after a match and Shield's music hits as they surround the ring with a referee..

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

WWE Ladder

l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l The Shield are here
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l The Mid Card Is here
    l-l
    l-l
    l-l

Could it possibly elevate the mid card titles if one of the shield held them. Similar to when HBK held the European title in early DX days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If it wasnt just having them as tag champs and they also had a continued storyline outside of that it wouldnt curtail their push or consign them to the midcard. I mean it didnt do that for Team Hell No who have been one of the most prominent parts of the show for several months now while holding the tag title belts. Also the fact that it would be Team Hell No they would initially be feuding with if they did go the tag titles route would surely mean they wouldnt drop down the ladder as Bryan/Kane are two former WHCs who are very over with the crowd and people they could have a series of very good matches with. Yes if you then have them lose to a normal tag team in WWEs tag division it could hurt them but not if it was done as part of a bigger storyline as I mentioned above which would also see them move swiftly on to bigger things.

Them as tag champs for a while could infact help highlight some of the aspects of the shield they have excelled in projecting so far. Let them use the freebirds rule when defending their titles and allow them to contniue to take advantage of the numbers game with their "pack of dogs mentality".

A destructive united group with no 1 leader who have taken on and defeated the WWEs big names, dominated the tag division and destroyed anyone sounds good to me, what then? break them up, turn someone, add someone new... nah! why mess with whats working instead give them a new different reason to be feared and as I suggested above a quick transition to one of them winning the MITB contract would be ideal and yeah as Dr Evil says above the idea of the shields music hitting at anytime and them coming through the crowd to attack a champion would be great and argueably it couldnt suit anyone more

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Could it possibly elevate the mid card titles if one of the shield held them. Similar to when HBK held the European title in early DX days

I love the 97 reference & the optimism but mid-card titles in 2013 are a hindrance. If Ambrose held the IC belt WWE would be looking to have him feud with Miz or Kofi. Without it he's free to wrestle The Undertaker! Perennial joke Swagger wasn't weighed down by a mid-card belt which allowed him to get into the EC and face Del Rio for the WHC instead of being on the pre-show with Miz. (or not at all, Cesaro.) Mid-card titles mean so little, the IC or US is actually a negative. They'd drag down the SHIELD instead of bringing up the belts.

• Advertisement

The Tag belts helped Team Hell no as it let them do the 'i'm the tag team champions' thing. That it all, they did nothing to increase the titles importance because they had no worthwhile teams to go against.

The Shield would also have no worthwhile teams to go against so it wouldn't help them and it wouldn't help the titles.

The only purpose any of the mid card titles would serve them was if it feeds into their domination, taking over angle leading to something big, and that could be very good. But if they end up defending the titles against the mid card guys it kills the momentum they have and they become mid card by association.

For me they don't need the Tag/Us/ICC titles to get them to the top, if they get them along the way and great, but its not something that needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Ridley

A destructive united group with no 1 leader who have taken on and defeated the WWEs big names, dominated the tag division and destroyed anyone sounds good to me, what then? break them up, turn someone, add someone new... nah! why mess with whats working instead give them a new different reason to be feared and as I suggested above a quick transition to one of them winning the MITB contract would be ideal and yeah as Dr Evil says above the idea of the shields music hitting at anytime and them coming through the crowd to attack a champion would be great and argueably it couldnt suit anyone more

Could be a nice visual to have one hold the MitB (preferably going back to just the one briefcase) and the other two flank him as tag champions.

While the tag belts aren't really getting used much, it would help to stick 'em on The Shield and highlight, y'know, their effectiveness as a team without egos. Eventually the faction'll separate - ideally with more dignity than Nexus - but I don't think many would complain if they held onto the belts for a lengthy run until whenever that is.

There are a bunch of tag teams to defend against and the dominance of The Shield could be used to give them focus. Heck, The Shield is effectively de facto #1 contender for the tag belts when they've shown zero interest in acquiring them.

Things have cooled a little for the Shield but I am guessing it is leading to Ambrose winning the MITB contract?

I am a little confused about his it will work though if he does win it. As the group could beat up the champion at any time and win cash in it will be odd if he wins and waits a long time to cash in. Holding the contract has led to guys ending up in no mans land losing random matches and with no real storyline.

I hope if he does win it they treat it like another showing of their domination and that they are intentionally holding onto the contract for when they think Justice needs to be served or something like that. Ambrose v Christian should keep him occupied for a couple of months post MITB either way so it buys some time.

Also it was good to see a glimpse of the new shield member:

h2tHbnr.gif

Moppy is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Can not see Ambrose winning the MITB.

Why not?

The competition isn't stacked:

Wade
    Cody
    Sandow
    Fandango
    Swagger
    Cesaro

(I would be happy if Sandow won)

Barrett wins.

If Ambrose didnt already have a title, then yes. But since he has one, I cant see him winning it.

Fair enough.

(Although RVD and Miz have done it while holding a title already)

It would be interesting if Barrett wins it since he has really done nothing interesting for a long time.

When it comes to the Shield I hope they are provided with plenty of big things to do over the next few months. It would be a terrible waste if they were not in a good spot and a good run when Taker reappears to get his revenge.

Does the 'taker thing even get mentioned? I assumed they'd just forget about revenge and leave it be. Unless 'taker is doing a tag match for the next WM? I think that would be a waste and dont think he'll be risked before then.

It was mentioned recently in a promo (along with them taking out Rock at one stage)

I would be surprised if he didn't return to take on Ambrose at some point or as part of a team to fight the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

there were rumours of Kane and Taker fighting the Shield at Summerslam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It would be interesting if Barrett wins it since he has really done nothing interesting for a long time.

Barrett has lost alot of his credibility though.

Has that stupid looking beard, lost about 20lb, has a terrible entrance music, replaced Wasteland with a crappy elbow for a finisher, lost to The Miz at Mania (albeit a pre-show), etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

There's a rumour going around started by Court Baurer that Vince McMahon has gone off the Shield.
    We have received reports that the situation became so tense at last weeks Raw that many in the company thought Vince was about to have a breakdown. Apparently Triple H is very high on The Shield and has been pushing hard for their involvement in a big angle this summer, Vince however it is said is not a very big Shield fan at the moment due to the disrespectful way he believes one of them conducts himself backstage, some believe it is possibly Seth Rollins who Vince feels is disrespectful due to a recent incident where Rollins didn't shake Vince'ss hand.

Vince may have ribbed them on the square in the segment below. Vince shaking their hands kind of like that skit where CM Punk smelt booze on Serena Deeb to send her a public warning about her real life drinking:

Also two weeks ago the Cranky Vince account tweeted this:

2rmqbtc.jpg

Bryan Alvarez:
    There was heat on the Shield in recent weeks. It was said that Rollins and Reigns were the two the office was upset with. I don't know what happened with Rollins but CrankyVince on Twitter (not the best source, but here and there he does have extremely accurate information) claimed it had to do with Rollins not knowing how to shake hands properly. That sounds absolutely stupid, but "improper protocol" such as that has led to heat with guys in the past. Again, I cannot confirm that, but I do know that others within WWE believe it was something petty like that, and one source believed the issue was between Rollins and Big Show. Another WWE source said the issue with Reigns was that there was a house show tag match which Reigns and Randy Orton were in, and they botched up a spot and got into a shouting match about it backstage. A guy in Reigns' spot arguing with a guy in Randy Orton's spot is a great way to get massive heat on you. Regardless of what happened, we were told that there was a power struggle of sorts in that Vince McMahon wanted people punished and Triple H didn't want them punished, so he was fighting to keep them strong on TV. I don't know if things have changed, but another good source in WWE claimed that while there was heat, the pre-show match with Shield vs. Usos was so good that pretty much all the heat dissipated afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Since cranky vince has had some correct info from time to time going by the article rovert posted, then any ideas who could be behind the twitter account?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Tinie wrote: »
    Since cranky vince has had some correct info from time to time going by the article rovert posted, then any ideas who could be behind the twitter account?

tbh id guess there would be a huge number of people that would know what angry vince posted. Wouldnt be shocked if a fan posted similar tbh although Angry Vince has obviously some sort of slight insider scoop

A guy in Reigns' spot arguing with a guy in Randy Orton's spot is a great way to get massive heat on you.

So it doesnt matter what the issue is, the main eventer is automatically right?

Tinie wrote: »

A bunch of ex-Creative people Court Bauer, Alex Greenfield, Andrew Goldstein types.
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    So it doesnt matter what the issue is, the main eventer is automatically right?

More just the veteran. Just rules of Wrestling. The veteran is always right. No talking back especially publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Punishing guys on screen doesn't help the WWE at all, unless Austin wins King of the Ring.

I don't find Cena particularly boring or stale,just the lack of credable opponents for him to wrestle.

They ballsed Ryback's push up months ago,booked him like a chump at Mania,and now he's parachuted into a title feud.If he'd been properly built up to this feud there'd be nothing boring about it imo.

Kofi/Cesaro/Sheamus/Orton I'd classify as boring at the moment.

imo, they are keeping him on top as he is a money machione for kids, and the show suffers because of it,

we will see how the Bryan match goes but i already see, Bryan stealing the show and Cena with a miraculous come back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks like a break up is coming soon so which one do you think will be first to win a world title?

Advertisement