Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHIELD Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's taking it a tad to far; I'd love for them to have a clear plan and route to do it properly but this is the WWE we're talking about. If they are around in any noticable form in six months beyond the intercontinental belt level I'll be surprised (positively).

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

Nody wrote: »
    That's taking it a tad to far; I'd love for them to have a clear plan and route to do it properly but this is the WWE we're talking about. If they are around in any noticable form in six months beyond the intercontinental belt level I'll be surprised (positively).

I can see mid level belts very soon tbh for Ambrose

Tag Belts for the other two

I think they may then recruit Corey Graves and Bray Wyatt so that Ambrose can move up to main event in singles with Corey taking the mid belt

Then the split will come with Corey winning a Royal Ruble/ MITB

Could make for interesting viewing

But you are right, this is the WWE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Somebody needs to stop them before they take over the WWE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Walter Cannon?
    Kata Pult?

its about time there was someone to stop Cena all the time

that guy is taking the piss these days with that Supeman Routine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

We need the old Stone Cold,we need the kind of foul mouthed,beer swiling SOB who don't take no shít from nobody.Or something.

its about time there was someone to stop Cena all the time

that guy is taking the piss these days with that Supeman Routine

Yeah,taking the piss by being the only bankable full time main eventer WWE has beyond Wrestlemania season.

He has some nerve!

Yeah,taking the piss by being the only bankable full time main eventer WWE has beyond Wrestlemania season.

He has some nerve!

its not his bankable status

its his domination of main events

someone else needs a go at the top

his act has gone boring

1.2 million buys says different,not bad for his boring domination of main events eh?!

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/wrestlemania-29-sets-earnings-record-for-wwe-1200414828/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

hogantna.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think WWE should put the tag titles on them soon

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think WWE should put the tag titles on them soon

Should happen at Extreme Rules, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

1.2 million buys says different,not bad for his boring domination of main events eh?!

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/wrestlemania-29-sets-earnings-record-for-wwe-1200414828/

That's Mania as a whole and The Rock too tho not purely Cena, nobody can deny he's the man money wise at the mo, his character is stale beyond belief though, has been for years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The tag titles are not worth anything and would be like a demotion!

they could to break out into singles competition and go after a world title over the summer. If the great Khali can be WHC champion, or if Sheamus can be two time WWE champion in less than a year why not Ambrose with the backing of Rollins and Reigns?

anything esle is a waste of the good position they were put in. Why fanny about with minor titles? Reigns already failed in football, he is not going to feck off to UFC or anything, Ambrose and Rollins are wrestlers so won't go anywhere either, have proved they are dedicated so get behind them and make full use of them I say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Imagine if one of them got their hands on a MITB briefcase...

Would be a cool twist if the 3 of them were co-holders of the MITB,make things a bit more unpredictable anyways.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

1.2 million buys says different,not bad for his boring domination of main events eh? http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/wrestlemania-29-sets-earnings-record-for-wwe-1200414828/

These are not official numbers. The official number (which no-one will remember thanks to articles like these) will be released early August with WWE's Quarterly figures. Who knows though, this Marc Graser could be an insider with more sources than Meltzer or Alvarez ;)

Boring is an opinion though. Couldn't agree more with Krudler.

I don't find Cena particularly boring or stale,just the lack of credable opponents for him to wrestle.

They ballsed Ryback's push up months ago,booked him like a chump at Mania,and now he's parachuted into a title feud.If he'd been properly built up to this feud there'd be nothing boring about it imo.

Kofi/Cesaro/Sheamus/Orton I'd classify as boring at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been impressed with how they have handled The Shield. They have to take it on to the next phase in the near future, though.

If we look at past wrestling factions this usually involves at least one of the following:
    • A new member comes on the scene
    • One of the group gets kicked out and replaced
    • One of the group decides to abandon the rest

If they go with option 1, a new member, then they have to get the choice right. I never liked the idea of Orton or some other higher power type figure getting involved. If they go for someone in NXT like Ohno it could be a bit better, but whether they need another 'big guy' type like him I'm not sure. I like the fact that each current member brings a little something to the table.

If they go with option 2, one of the group gets kicked out and replaced, then on the plus side you can avoid a clash of styles. They could replace Reigns with Ohno if they chose (though I wouldn't be in favour of this). I think Rollins would be the best candidate to be kicked out and turn babyface if this is the road they want to go down. He was an effective babyface on NXT. There's a lot of candidates that could replace him in the group. Adrian Neville (Pac) for instance. I'd even suggest Tyson Kidd when he returns from injury.

Last option is a bit similar to the second one. Do a slow turn as happened with Batista in Evolution. Have one of the members become uncomfortable with the constant attacks and assaults. Again I think Rollins is the more credible contender for such a role like this.

I think they can have a nice angle with Taker for the next month or so but after that I think a new chapter has to be written and I would expect it will follow one of the above patterns. The main thing and the real test on whether this group is a success is whether they can keep these guys stars 12 months from now. It will all be in vain if these guys wind up as most of the Nexus guys did - having to be rebuilt step by step all over again.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

The options mentioned are likely but don't really need to be rushed though, that is what happened with Nexus for example. Not using the current unit to get one guy to main event level before changing the make up of the group would be a shame. They haven't used any of the members in regular singles competition yet and that is the next logical step imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

We need the old Stone Cold,we need the kind of foul mouthed,beer swiling SOB who don't take no shít from nobody.Or something.

You mean Supercena to bury them all to hell.

But I think Ambrose and Rollins are amazing talents. I think Rollins is the guy to be a main eventer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did WWE drop the storyline of someone being behind them and paying them etc., the likely candidates to me would be John Laurinaitis, Paul Heyman or Vince McMahon himself

IMO, I think it be too soon to put a world title on one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i had a feeling Ryback was going to join them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Did WWE drop the storyline of someone being behind them and paying them etc., the likely candidates to me would be John Laurinaitis, Paul Heyman or Vince McMahon himself

I think that happen near the end of their run a main event or maybe a Triple H or Stephaine trying to take over the business from Vince.

I do think it be way too soon maybe have Orton turn heel and win WWE title from Cena and Join up as leader of the Shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the problem is that the beating up everyone on the roster because we feel like it gets stale quickly, they need a proper purpose, and not just their super-vague "righting wrongs".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Indeed, but they're also already so far above the midcard belts, anything below the WWE title would seem like a demotion.

the problem is that the beating up everyone on the roster because we feel like it gets stale quickly, they need a proper purpose, and not just their super-vague "righting wrongs".

simple purpose could be they are intent on taking over?

On the idea of linking them to a established star - Just like going after the unimportant titles having a leader in the background would be major backward step for them.

If they went out and hired a representative like Heyman great, but if someone appears as the person who put them together and deciding who they should beat up it would be awful now. A couple of months ago I could see why that would be a route they take but they have genuinely come so far as a trio now it would kill momentum. They go from conquerers to someone elses muscle.

Just let them be The Shield - Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Team Hell no to defend the titles against them at ER and lose then lose the rematch at the following PPV at which point they break up and Bryan gets a singles push. Meanwhile the shield defend the tag titles succesfully and impressively using the freebird rule for a number of months until the MITB PPV when the current WWE champion (lets say Cena) interferes in their match costing them the titles in order to get revenge for an attack from the previous Raw. Later in the show one of the shield with the help of the help of the other two (who had the tag match earlier) wins the MITB briefcase and the trio enter into a feud with Cena which does not neccesarily have to be the main title feud at the time but more so than with anyone else the champ will know and fear that the Shield could trike at any moment taking him out before a cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Looper007 wrote: »
    I think that happen near the end of their run a main event or maybe a Triple H or Stephaine trying to take over the business from Vince.

I do think it be way too soon maybe have Orton turn heel and win WWE title from Cena and Join up as leader of the Shield.

Keep him away from them, they have charisma and are cool, Orton has been on autopilot for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Because Orton did so much for Cody Rhodes and Teddy DiBiase! Definitely keep Boreton away!

See if there's a wrestler-leader of the shield it automatically demotes the current shield members to lackeys, and puts heat on the already established star. So Orton, Ryback etc does them no good.

That said the most sensical fit (if you had to add someone new) would be Heyman as the mastermind. He's done a great job at being present and awesome but not stealing heat from Brock/Punk but adding to it. So I can see him doing the same with SHIELD. Being under Punk, I dunno. It didn't help any of the Nexus lads, and he'd do the talking for them. But it wouldn't be the worst and makes sense considering how they were introduced.

Advertisement