Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DgyGIWpWsAAlON-.jpg:large

Introducing the new #BelugaXL dressed up in its livery for the first time!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I worked for about a year building a power station beside the Airbus Montoir facility and used to see about 3-4 Beluga arrivals/departures a day and I can honestly say it never got boring.

Some machines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Would something like that have to go through the certification process like a normal airliner, or does it fly on some sort of special permit?

F-Wxxx is usually prototypes and pre-delivery aircraft, isn't it?

And what did they transport the Beluga parts in :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The A300 based Beluga has a type certificate - https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/EASA_R-TCDS_EASA.A.014_Issue6.pdf - but it is restricted to the special frames (they can't make more without consent) and has other restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

Random question lads.... How do you pronounce Vueling? I always assumed it was view-ling or possibly Vwelling but today I heard someone refer to them as Welling and it's bothering the Ocd sufferer in me now for some reason!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Hmm, I've heard it pronounced V-way-ling, which kind of adds up if it's spanish, think Bueno.
    I am fully open to correction though :)

Edit: I may well be wrong:
    Http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Vueling%20Airlines

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

john boye wrote: »
    Random question lads.... How do you pronounce Vueling? I always assumed it was view-ling or possibly Vwelling but today I heard someone refer to them as Welling and it's bothering the Ocd sufferer in me now for some reason!

It’s a hybrid word. Uses the Spanish root ‘vuel’ for flight along with the English ‘ing’ ending.
    I’ve listened to a couple of IAG presentations, it’s definitely NOT ‘welling’.
    “Vu-Elling” would be my best approximation of the way it is said..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Id use Viewll-ing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

john boye wrote: »

I always thought view-ling but I've never had to say it out loud nor have I heard someone say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Hmm, I've heard it pronounced V-way-ling, which kind of adds up if it's spanish, think Bueno.
    I am fully open to correction though :)

Edit: I may well be wrong:
    Http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Vueling%20Airlines

It’s pronounced with a bw sound, because the V is at the start of the word it pronounced with a hard sound but because U is mainly silent in Spanish pronunciaton it skips straight to the E letter, so the only way I can describe it is if you say Bweling, B...wel...ing
    Spanish grammar law is a mess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Tenger wrote: »
    It’s a hybrid word. Uses the Spanish root ‘vuel’ for flight along with the English ‘ing’ ending.
    I’ve listened to a couple of IAG presentations, it’s definitely NOT ‘welling’.
    Vu-Elling” would be my best approximation of the way it is said..

I was on a Vuelling flight a good while back. The staff pronounce it like the bold bit. The Vu sounds like voo, not view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

About 5 or 6 Ambulances gone into the airport via the Gate beside the main Aer Lingus office just now, any ideas of the incident taking place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    About 5 or 6 Ambulances gone into the airport via the Gate beside the main Aer Lingus office just now, any ideas of the incident taking place?

EI2353 from Edinburgh on approach now and traffic behind it seems to be taking the arc giving it room.

might be a drill, there's actually 2 ambulances, one incident support van, one ambulance car, all with blue lights flashing at gatepost 4

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm no controller but man does this sound so wrong from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

ED E wrote: »

I'm no controller but man does this sound so wrong from the beginning.

Incredible really. ATC are trying to handle aircraft in the air, relay information to ground services and get airborne aircraft on the ground and some moron with know cop on calls looking to depart. Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
    https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...=HTML&IType=FA[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]On May 30, 2018, about 1348 eastern daylight time, a North American SNJ-2, N62382, impacted terrain following a loss of control shortly after takeoff from Republic Airport (FRG), Farmingdale, New York. The airline transport pilot was fatally injured, and the airplane was destroyed. The airplane was registered to SNJ-2 Corp., and operated by Skytypers as a Title 14 [/font][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Code of Federal Regulations [/font][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Part 91 repositioning cross-country flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and no flight plan was filed for the flight. The airplane was one of six airplanes intended to fly in formation and destined for Patuxent River Naval Air Station (NHK), Patuxent River, Maryland.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]A flight instructor, who was in the airport traffic pattern for runway 14, reported that he observed the number 5 airplane and number 6 (accident airplane) depart in formation to the northeast without incident. The instructor stated that he saw the number 5 airplane initiate a climbing right 180° turn, similar to a chandelle maneuver, from an altitude of about 800 feet above ground level (agl). He estimated that throughout the turn, the bank angle of the airplane was about 70° to 80°, until it reached an altitude of about 1,200 feet agl. The instructor further reported that he observed the number 6 airplane conduct the same maneuver, however, at the top of the turn, the airplane entered a spin, and remained in a constant rate spin, until it descended into terrain. The instructor added that it appeared that no attempt to recover had been initiated.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The pilot of the lead airplane (number 1) who was holding northeast of the airport, stated that his rear seated passenger observed the accident airplane pass underneath their holding area and make a climbing "high-G" turn to the left. The airplane subsequently entered a spin and spiraled to the ground.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]A video provided by a witness located near the accident site captured the airplane in a steep nose-down attitude, rotating around its vertical axis, until impacting the ground.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Examination of the accident site revealed that the airplane impacted trees and terrain in a vertical, nose-down attitude. Wreckage debris field was contained to within 50ft of the main wreckage. A post-impact fire consumed most of the left wing, cabin and aft fuselage. The wreckage was recovered to a secure facility for further examination.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Just to look at this from a different angle.[/font]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any spotting of any use at RAF Valley of a Sunday afternoon? Doing a one night pissup in Caernarfon and booked on the 1715 back to give me time to recover but should I feel OK / blow clear earlier we'll have loads of time to burn on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Hello,

Does anyone know if anything odd was happening at Dublin airport last night?

I was woken up by what sounded like heavy heavy reverse thrust and then after, the sound of what could be characterised as a turboprop revving up and down.

The house is in Donnycarney and its the first time this has ever happened.

I know the EI A330s go over in the AM and they can be loud but I've never heard such an intense sound from so far off.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

L1011 wrote: »
    Any spotting of any use at RAF Valley of a Sunday afternoon? Doing a one night pissup in Caernarfon and booked on the 1715 back to give me time to recover but should I feel OK / blow clear earlier we'll have loads of time to burn on the way.

RAF airfields such as Valley close for the weekend so it's most unlikely there would be activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Question for pilots; watching Sully at the minute and as they begin to ditch the computer registers alarms ("Pull Up" & "Terrain") - I assume during the course of a normal landing the computer registers that you're on an ILS glide path (or whatever the correct terminology is) and those alarms don't sound? You just have the altitude count down?

@cson, provided that the airport is in the EGPWS terrain database, the alarms wont sound, I spent the last month flying to a new airport that my boss had built in 39 days, initially it was a visual airport, then they added the approaches to our FMS database, we haven't had the airport added to the terrain database yet so we have to disable the EGPWS warnings on approach when descending below 1500 feet. The altitude callouts are a different thing and they remained regardless.

smurfjed wrote: »
    I spent the last month flying to a new airport that my boss had built in 39 days

Who the hell is your boss? :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Shpud2 wrote: »
    Who the hell is your boss? :D

I think it might be Hank Scorpio.......

Tenger wrote: »
    I think it might be Hank Scorpio.......

My goodness what an idea, why didn't I think of that?
    D1bhtgf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

And I have a non pilot question to add/ask..

In a real life situation where the pilot is dealing with an emergency like that, do the pull up and terrain voice alarms switch off once they are acknowledged, or they just stay on?
    I can only imagine they would add to the stress in an already fraught situation..
    Ive always wondered about it

They can be silenced, but the concept is that you are approaching terrain when you shouldn't be, therefore you should be more concerned with getting away from that terrain rather than "shut up gringo".

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I do get that, I just would have thought where a pilot is completely aware that he is in a difficult position and is working hard to recover the situation, it would be an added distraction and an added level of stress to have a robotic voice nagging you over and over.

• Advertisement

Crashing into terrain might create more stress :):)

Advertisement