Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What a baller. Projected to number 13 in world ahead of Tiger now. Some future ahead of him and he isn’t the greatest putter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

El Sueño wrote: »
    Same, it's basically a major field next week and I'm interested to see how playing the course two weeks in a row impacts next week's leaderboard

I was thinking about this last night, would be interesting to see a set rota of courses that the players play repeatedly throughout the season, say 10 or so.

Basically they would be stadium courses (like Phoenix WM) and so could have all the setup in place all season long.

a bit like the idea of only have 4 or 5 cities host the olympics rather than keep moving it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GreeBo wrote: »
    I was thinking about this last night, would be interesting to see a set rota of courses that the players play repeatedly throughout the season, say 10 or so.

Basically they would be stadium courses (like Phoenix WM) and so could have all the setup in place all season long.

a bit like the idea of only have 4 or 5 cities host the olympics rather than keep moving it around.

Wouldn't that be less interesting than having more varied courses...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

AdamD wrote: »

I'd happily watch Riviera/Muirfield Village/Harbour Town/Pebble Beach a few times per year rather than the likes of Detroit Golf Club or TPC River Highlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Trampas

El Sueño wrote: »
    Same, it's basically a major field next week and I'm interested to see how playing the course two weeks in a row impacts next week's leaderboard

They’re going to grow the rough a little and speed up the greens from around 11 to 13 for this week

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »

I dunno...would it?
    If you have 10 great courses picked would that be boring?
    So you almost have to wait 3 months before you see the same course again? Or to put it another way, they play it 3-4 times a season.

Not sure would it work from a weather point of view though...they might have to play mini tours in one area before moving to the next so they can follow the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Trampas wrote:
    They’re going to grow the rough a little and speed up the greens from around 11 to 13 for this week

Nastier pin positions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Morikawa would be 2nd in the world if the minimum divisor didn't exist. Obviously that is why the divisor exists, but interesting none the less and shows the level he has the potential to be reaching in the very near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That win was so important for Morikawa. It established him as a serious contender and he eliminated the playoff loss from his memory too.
    I said it a few times already but when you listen to him it's very like listening to a young Tiger. He has the same focus, I'm not saying he's as good or ever will be as good as Tiger but I think he'll win a couple of Majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dunno...would it?
    If you have 10 great courses picked would that be boring?
    So you almost have to wait 3 months before you see the same course again? Or to put it another way, they play it 3-4 times a season.

Not sure would it work from a weather point of view though...they might have to play mini tours in one area before moving to the next so they can follow the weather.

Suppose I'd rather they just chose better courses throughout the year, which they admittedly don't. There's no doubt that some of the cities/states hosting tournaments on generic wide open target golf courses have better alternatives, but if they continue to not use them I can see your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

https://twitter.com/pgatour/status/1282782184122863616?s=21

This could be a great week. Delighted for Shane to be in that group. We’ll get to see plenty of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

We preview The Memorial Tournament today on the Tackling Sport Podcast with Malachy Clerkin and Peter Lawrie.

We discuss Bryson DeChambeau's lockdown transformation, whether questions should be asked, Malachy's Irish Times article, Peter's own experience with drug testing, the future of golf, Brooks Koepka's tweet, the return of Tiger Woods and whether Rory McIlroy "chokes" when the pressure is on.

All links are here https://il.ink/tacklingsport

Also, cannot wait for tomorrow and those featured groups. Big chance for Shane to make a statement before the upcoming WGC and US PGA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

^
    Everyone knows the answer to the last question!!!
    But will give a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

tobsey wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/pgatour/status/1282782184122863616?s=21

This could be a great week. Delighted for Shane to be in that group. We’ll get to see plenty of him.

I wasnt the sharpest knife in the drawer in school but read that and was thinking 'Lowry - who the hell thought he was feature group material? Must be an Irish person tweeting that and getting carried away'. Then I remembered that business of him being a current major winner. So fair enough.:o

DH2K9 wrote: »
    We preview The Memorial Tournament today on the Tackling Sport Podcast with Malachy Clerkin and Peter Lawrie.

We discuss Bryson DeChambeau's lockdown transformation, whether questions should be asked, Malachy's Irish Times article, Peter's own experience with drug testing, the future of golf, Brooks Koepka's tweet, the return of Tiger Woods and whether Rory McIlroy "chokes" when the pressure is on.

All links are here https://il.ink/tacklingsport

Also, cannot wait for tomorrow and those featured groups. Big chance for Shane to make a statement before the upcoming WGC and US PGA!

The interesting thing about McIlroy is that he doesnt choke under pressure. They have all had a booboo or two under pressure. The real question about him is why he chokes before there is any pressure on the scene at all. When he is going good, and well excuse that Masters one, he has a good record of closing the deal. Its getting to the business end of the tournament in the hunt wihout already having choked that causes him the problems as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

The interesting thing about McIlroy is that he doesnt choke under pressure. They have all had a booboo or two under pressure. The real question about him is why he chokes before there is any pressure on the scene at all. When he is going good, and well excuse that Masters one, he has a good record of closing the deal. Its getting to the business end of the tournament in the hunt wihout already having choked that causes him the problems as I see it.

Yeah that's a fair point.

Interesting on that, I heard Rory interviewed today and he was saying he has found it hard to stay focussed without crowds at events. He'd usually use the buzz or noise as energy where now he's struggling to stay fully focussed for 4 rounds.

Probably one of the most open honest sportsmen there is around in fairness but another sign of weakness in his mental approach.

Having last week off might focus the mind for the Memorial.

Link below:
    https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12029227/rory-mcilroy-admits-letting-mind-wander-without-spectators-on-pga-tour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Have a rare Thursday afternoon free to watch the golf. Any idea of featured groups? De Chambeau with Morkawa and Cantlay surely be one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭bren2001

Have a rare Thursday afternoon free to watch the golf. Any idea of featured groups? De Chambeau with Morkawa and Cantlay surely be one?

Group 1: Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Brooks Koepka. TT: 18:17
    Group 2: Phil Mickelson, Justin Rose, Shane Lowry. TT: 18:06
    Group 3: Bryson DeChambeau, Collin Morikawa, Patrick Cantlay. TT: 13:06
    Group 4: Justin Thomas, Xander Schauffele, Dustin Johnson. TT: 13:17

Perfect cheers. I'll be a Dj fan today then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I wasnt the sharpest knife in the drawer in school but read that and was thinking 'Lowry - who the hell thought he was feature group material? Must be an Irish person tweeting that and getting carried away'. Then I remembered that business of him being a current major winner. So fair enough.:o

And he should be defending that major this week so it’s a nice touch to give him the featured group.

• Advertisement

Ah god almighty I'm blind never even copped Shane. I'll be Cheering him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Hopefully he can put in a good performance this weekend. Would love to see him hit some form and finish in top 20 consistently.

etxp wrote: »
    Hopefully he can put in a good performance this weekend. Would love to see him hit some form and finish in top 20 consistently.

Think that's a bit unrealistic and well out of his league to be honest. That would put around top 5 in the world sort of level and we've never seen indication that he's that sort of level. If he could keep solid top 50 in the world with a win every year or two that would be good going.

etxp wrote: »

Would be great to see alright, but I think he needs to be consistently making cuts and finishing top 50 before he worries about top 20s.

No harm in aiming high though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yea I understand it is quite a big ask, but one can always hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lots of big scoring so far looks to be playing very tough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger's game looking very sharp. No signs of rust at all.

Tiger on target for a round of 12 under. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dustin won’t be around for the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,789 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wow some shocker from DJ, Fowler and shuffles.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement