Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No crowds also means you see some interesting lies in the rough, rather than well trampled down grass.

I wonder how much revenue is lost without crowds, I'm guessing its much more about merch than ticket sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

First Up wrote: »
    I don't miss the crowd at all. Now if they could just get rid of those awful ads with the dog on the sofa......

The dog was much better when they covered cricket

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

GreeBo wrote: »
    No crowds also means you see some interesting lies in the rough, rather than well trampled down grass.

+1

The crowd, stands and other stuff make the really bad shots less impactful as they prevent the ball from either reaching its proper destination or provide a better lie through free drop or trampled rough

Even this week we saw some interesting shots that hardly made 100yds due to "real" lies being in place.

I also like the fact that you can get a good view of the courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Yes its very good actually. Certainly think it benefits from not having crowds there. Im sure theyll go back to it when they can. I think it even looks better on TV because you see the course better, as well as not having trampled rough, more rules decisions, drop zones, time messing clearing people out of the when when the 350 yard drive goes way off line and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

You seriously thought that was an anti climax?
    We had shanks, triples, oob, water hazard and a rain delay all in the last few holes!?

The act of winning it on the 18th and no crowd interaction spoiled it imo. Up til that, great stuff.
    Can't wait for the verdict on an empty Whistling Straits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The act of winning it on the 18th and no crowd interaction spoiled it imo. Up til that, great stuff. Can't wait for the verdict on an empty Whistling Straits.
    It'll be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The act of winning it on the 18th and no crowd interaction spoiled it imo. Up til that, great stuff.
    Can't wait for the verdict on an empty Whistling Straits.

Not as if golfers really celebrate much with the crowd anyway. most of them just do a little air punch and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

eagle eye wrote: »
    It'll be awesome.

Special.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I was reading that there's been no sign of construction of grandstands and hospitality tents etc at whistling straits which would usually have started by now for a Ryder cup venue.

Faldo said the other night that it's been cancelled but as far as I know there's been nothing official announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

NDWC wrote: »
    Faldo said the other night that it's been cancelled but as far as I know there's been nothing official announced yet.

I can't see them holding it without crowds being able to attend. The corporate hospitality market for the Ryder Cup is huge and the tickets are very expensive, but always sell out. I'd say it's probably the event that probably has by far the highest proportion of non TV revenue.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    I can't see them holding it without crowds being able to attend. The corporate hospitality market for the Ryder Cup is huge and the tickets are very expensive, but always sell out. I'd say it's probably the event that probably has by far the highest proportion of non TV revenue.

I did a quick look and the numbers are more like the Masters (250,000 in 2019 for both)
    Compare that to the US Open that had 740,000
    The ryder cups seems like it has more people but I think its only because the crowds are following a small number of players.

Portrush had 200K

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Is there not an announcement this week about it?

While this distance thing has to be sorted, its still very impressive stuff by Dechambeau to be at the serious end of a tournament for the 4th week in a row. A win this week would not be underserved the way I see and would also be interesting in kicking off even more louder discussion on how hes dont it and whether its good for golf or not because its not, and so action might get started to deal with it. But for the minute, fair play to the lad because what he has done to get himself there, while the single length clubs thing is a sideshow, he is still class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

While this distance thing has to be sorted, its still very impressive stuff by Dechambeau to be at the serious end of a tournament for the 4th week in a row. A win this week would not be underserved the way I see and would also be interesting in kicking off even more louder discussion on how hes dont it and whether its good for golf or not because its not, and so action might get started to deal with it. But for the minute, fair play to the lad because what he has done to get himself there, while the single length clubs thing is a sideshow, he is still class.

I'm sure you can take an unbiased view haha

Personally I see nothing wrong with what he's doing, I watch little golf outside the Majors and I don't see him dominating them in a way thats boring like Schumacher or even Tiger did to some events.

Your posts would be easier to read, being longer than most, with a few paragraphs thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Nice to see Seamus Power playing well. He will have limited starts this season, hopefully he can take advantage when he plays. Five under after first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Seamus Power, joint leader On 8 under. Three under through seven today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Up to 2nd on 11 under..

Does he need the W to get a card??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭blackwhite

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Up to 2nd on 11 under..

Does he need the W to get a card??

Win would get him an 2 year card.

3rd spot would move him into top 125 of Fedex standings, but with 7 more tournaments between now and the Northern Trust of which he's only likely to play in a maximum of 3-4 (including missing the higher points available in the WGC and the PGA Championship) then he'd need to do very well in another tournament to hold onto a space in top 125.

A 2nd place finish might just give him enough points to cling on inside the 125 without another big performance - but he'd be very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭bren2001

blackwhite wrote: »
    Win would get him an 2 year card.

3rd spot would move him into top 125 of Fedex standings, but with 7 more tournaments between now and the Northern Trust of which he's only likely to play in a maximum of 3-4 (including missing the higher points available in the WGC and the PGA Championship) then he'd need to do very well in another tournament to hold onto a space in top 125.

A 2nd place finish might just give him enough points to cling on inside the 125 without another big performance - but he'd be very tight.

Players who have a card this year and fall outside the top 125 will retain their card for next year. For this reason, there may be far less of a scramble as players who would typically be on the cut line may decide to sit out instead of having to fight for their card. (a bit of an optimistic view, I doubt it will play out that way)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1279090245363998723?s=19

You'd imagine Bryson is going to get a win soonish.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭blackwhite

bren2001 wrote: »
    Players who have a card this year and fall outside the top 125 will retain their card for next year. For this reason, there may be far less of a scramble as players who would typically be on the cut line may decide to sit out instead of having to fight for their card. (a bit of an optimistic view, I doubt it will play out that way)

The 125 mark still gets you into the Northern Trust, and the opportunity for a few extra $$$

Will be plenty pushing for that I’d say

Fairly dull looking course this week and looks about as weak a course as youll see on the tour. Wide open too, so one that should suit the bomb it wedge lads. Flat courses just never look that good on TV, as they say, TV flattens the look of even a hilly course so this one really seems to have little to it. Rough looks heavy enough though but still doesnt look like a course to reward good overall play over driving distance. Good from Simpson to be straight back up there after his week off.

https://twitter.com/JustinRayGolf/status/1279090245363998723?s=19

You'd imagine Bryson is going to get a win soonish.

Even if he doesn't he'll be #1 if he keeps up the current form

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Simpson playing great these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Even if he doesn't he'll be #1 if he keeps up the current form

He's a good bit off that yet. Currently 10th and without a win in 18 months.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    He's a good bit off that yet. Currently 10th and without a win in 18 months.

The point being that he doesn't need a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Needs 2 win to get him close. He has a good few points to lose. The end of season could really mix up the rankings 5 big events in 6 weeks. 1 major, 1 wgc and 3 weeks of fedex play offs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

He is so far behind in ranking points, he probably does. As an example, he could win a major and the Players tomorrow and would still fall just short of getting number 1. If that is what 2 massive wins would do, then it just shows how far away he is from it without winning.

My point stands anyway that he is a good bit away from getting to #1.

Webb Simpson is another story. I could see him being #1 later this month. Never thought I'd be saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    He is so far behind in ranking points, he probably does. As an example, he could win a major and the Players tomorrow and would still fall just short of getting number 1. If that is what 2 massive wins would do, then it just shows how far away he is from it without winning.

My point stands anyway that he is a good bit away from getting to #1.

Webb Simpson is another story. I could see him being #1 later this month. Never thought I'd be saying that.

He probably is unlikely to get there for a while yet. There is a string of bad results last year that won’t fall off till next year

• Advertisement

People seem to mistakenly think I'm saying he will get to #1 next week or something. I'm not. As I said, if he keeps up his current form he will be #1. #1 comes from consistent results.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement