Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why say unfortunately? The guy is a breath of fresh air. He doesn't do tantrums, always seems like he wants to win like Tiger.

Because he is boring. Look at the "hype" surrounding his previous wins... there was none. No excitement, no crowds going crazy, he is subdued after winning.

Now think about the contrast of last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

HighLine wrote: »
    Because he is boring. Look at the "hype" surrounding his previous wins... there was none. No excitement, no crowds going crazy, he is subdued after winning.

Now think about the contrast of last month.

I remember one of his major wins he tapped in a 2 footer instead of letting his playing partners finish out first, everybody waits until the stage is clear, it was a bizarre finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Justin Thomas out injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

I see Bryson got put on the clock twice yesterday for slow play.

He took a minute and 40 seconds to hit a 108 yard shot at one point!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Spieth is really threatening to return to form over the last few weeks. If he can get his drives and shirt irons sorted he will be unstoppable with his scrambling and putting ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

I see Bryson got put on the clock twice yesterday for slow play.

He took a minute and 40 seconds to hit a 108 yard shot at one point!!!!

I wish Bryson no luck for the rest of his golfing career. That is so selfish, arrogant and to be honest it gives him such an unfair advantage against the rest of the field. He has notoriously been a very slow player. But to take 100 seconds to play a shot that is meat and drink for a player of his calibre, is really pushing the boundaries.

In other golf news, Hank Haney, Tiger Woods' former coach has been suspended from his role as co-host of a PGA Tour radio show, after making comments that were deemed inappropriate and racist when referring to this week's US Women's Open.

Haney is the greatest conman of a swing coach that I can remember, on a par with Nick Bradley. He is also a bit of a mouthpiece too and would constantly have a go against Tiger on many occasions. I never liked what Haney was doing to Tiger's swing and to be honest there is a correlation to the injuries that Tiger had, while Haney was still his coach during that time in the mid 00's.

Thankfully for Tiger fans, he is gone from Haney and is now swinging it the best he has ever done during his professional career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

What do we think of the Kuchar situation?

It looked possible to me that it hopped up and came back into it's own pitch mark, the ball certainly wasn't far from it's own pitch mark so surely there would have been another pitchmark close by but I didn't see any. Sky kept saying it spun to the right, I didn't see it like that at all. Thing is Kuchar wasn't even claiming it was his own, what he was actually claiming was ridiculous in fairness.

Eddie Pepperell only pro I've seen tweet about it....

https://twitter.com/PepperellEddie/status/1134225866848911360

I thought Kuchar had a very good point. I thought the ball buried, there was a hole but when his ball hit it the hole got bigger so imo that is a plugged ball.

On the Bryson thing, I'm not a big fan but wishing him no luck for the rest of his life is way ott imo.

And Eddie Pepperell just took a nose dive in my estimation with that tweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

I thought Kuchar had a very good point. I thought the ball buried, there was a hole but when his ball hit it the hole got bigger so imo that is a plugged ball.

On the Bryson thing, I'm not a big fan but wishing him no luck for the rest of his life is way ott imo.

Instead of accepting that he has a problem re slow play, De Chambeau goes on in this rant that he is not the problem, but the tour officials are not being fair to him. He even tries the narrative of being "a victim" here.

Even Tiger who was his playing partner along with Justin Rose in the 1st round of the Memorial Tournament yesterday said that it had a negative effect on the group in general as the last eight holes of their round, they were put on the clock.

Imo Bryson does some unusual things. Slow play should not be one of those things. He is putting the blame on others about this issue and he should be taken to task about it. Finally I never said that I wish him no luck for the rest of his life. I just think that if he continues in that way of not admitting that he has a problem about this most sensitive of issues then that reflects extremely badly on him.

If he continues with this reticence and having a bad attitude then quite frankly he deserves little or no respect for the rest of his golfing career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Kuchar is an a$$hole, plain and simple. He didn't like a perfectly legitimate ruling, so he threw the toys out of the pram and asked for a second opinion.
    When the second opinion was the same as the first, he actually asked for a third. What an arrogant, self-absorbed pr1ck.
    And the El Tucan incident.......

Eddie Pepperell is deadly, very funny on twitter and tells it like it is, including when talking about himself and his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

JCDUB wrote: »
    Kuchar is an a$$hole, plain and simple. He didn't like a perfectly legitimate ruling, so he threw the toys out of the pram and asked for a second opinion.
    When the second opinion was the same as the first, he actually asked for a third. What an arrogant, self-absorbed pr1ck.

Eddie Pepperell is deadly, very funny on twitter and tells it like it is, including when talking about himself and his game.

More golfers like Eddie Pepperell would be great for the game, at least he has some personality unlike the likes of Kuchar.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

JCDUB wrote: »

Did ye see when he said this. Rickie nearly fell over laughing. Was comical really.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Did Kuchar not agree that it wasn't the pitch mark from the first bounce but on it's second bounce. Stinks of if I ask enough refs one of them will be intimidated and give him what he wants.

Bryson is just painful to watch. His way of thinking of the game is interesting but unbelievable slow.

Eddie is great for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Did Kuchar not agree that it wasn't the pitch mark from the first bounce but on it's second bounce. Stinks of if I ask enough refs one of them will be intimidated and give him what he wants.

Bryson is just painful to watch. His way of thinking of the game is interesting but unbelievable slow.

Eddie is great for the game.

Yes he was arguing that it may have made an indentation on the second bounce inside the already formed pitch mark it was brutal tbh.

To my eye it looked like the pitch mark he landed in was his actual pitchmark. Ball bounced backwards on first bounce and then kind of hopped forward. But it was hard to see on the angle i seen and i seen some arguing that it definitely bounced right after the first bounce.

Either way it was clear he was looking for something that wasnt there.

JCDUB wrote:
    Kuchar is an a$$hole, plain and simple. He didn't like a perfectly legitimate ruling, so he threw the toys out of the pram and asked for a second opinion. When the second opinion was the same as the first, he actually asked for a third. What an arrogant, self-absorbed pr1ck. And the El Tucan incident.......
    Well and m pretty confident that Kuchar was right as regards a plugged ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Rory and his wedge shots would drive you mad. He is just brutal with them really for his level.

We all question his putting but for me it’s his wedges that are the main issue. Doesn’t take advantage of his driving strengths enough

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Rory and his wedge shots would drive you mad. He is just brutal with them really for his level.

We all question his putting but for me it’s his wedges that are the main issue. Doesn’t take advantage of his driving strengths enough

I thought I was only one who thought that.

His Wedges are actually so so poor but its not the part that gets highlighted enough

Kaymer looked great yesterday, back to his too European days. Some top notch golfers chasing him, should be a cracking final round unless Kaymer can check out like he did yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Well and m pretty confident that Kuchar was right as regards a plugged ball.

In what way was he right?

The ball stopped in a pitch mark that was there before his ball landed. It clearly wasn't his own pitch mark.

He tried to say that his ball rolling into it made it bigger and deeper.

Two rules officials told him to get off the stage and play it as it lies and he asked for a third opinion, like a petulant child.

A very poor example to set for youngsters watching on TV. "If you don't agree with a rules official, try to bully him into the decision you want."

• Advertisement

JCDUB wrote:
    He tried to say that his ball rolling into it made it bigger and deeper.
    No he was saying that his ball made a new hole at the side of the pitch mark. If it did then it's a plugged ball and those rules apply. He asked the official to have a look at a replay of it and he declined which imo he shouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

No he was saying that his ball made a new hole at the side of the pitch mark. If it did then it's a plugged ball and those rules apply. He asked the official to have a look at a replay of it and he declined which imo he shouldn't have.

The first referee did look at the replay. Kuchar asked for a second opinion and the second guy refused to watch it saying that if the first watched the replay and didn’t see anything then there was no need to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Tiger having a great final round at the memorial

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Very impressive so far by Cantalay in final round.

No idea how he stands over it for so long though before hitting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

In other golf news, Hank Haney, Tiger Woods' former coach has been suspended from his role as co-host of a PGA Tour radio show, after making comments that were deemed inappropriate and racist when referring to this week's US Women's Open.

And what happened? A Korean player named Lee won the event!

Not only that but she had to call herself Lee6 because there had been 5 other Korean players on tour who had the exact name as her!

I don't like Haney but he was pretty much correct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ligerdub wrote: »
    And what happened? A Korean player named Lee won the event!

Not only that but she had to call herself Lee6 because there had been 5 other Korean players on tour who had the exact name as her!

I don't like Haney but he was pretty much correct.

It was nothing to do with his accuracy, it was the way he said it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Big issue for the womens game is that there are not any players that come close to having any dominance.9 first time major winner in a row now with Lee's win on Sunday not to mention that the American players are not winning all that often anymore.This must make it difficult for them to sell the sport to Americans.

They really should move one of the womens majors to Korea or rotate one around East Asia/Australia .There's huge interest in the womens game in that part of the world with not only there being top Korean players but some excellent Thai,Chinese and Japanese players aswell.

6 might be the one to change that but they don't want that either.
    She has been very consistent since joining the lpga.

I was listening to the Sky female pundits talking about how the money is still a long way off parity. It's not as entertaining as the PGA Tour so it shouldn't be near the same money.
    As far as I'm aware the PGA tour is not closed off to only males either.

• Advertisement

I was listening to the Sky female pundits talking about how the money is still a long way off parity. It's not as entertaining as the PGA Tour so it shouldn't be near the same money.
    As far as I'm aware the PGA tour is not closed off to only males either.

The Womens US open does not make a profit.

The mens event is subsidizing the womens prize fund for the Womens US Open.

In 1999 LPGA tour prize fund was $32 million, its now $68 million so that's a pretty decent progression over the years in prize money for the womens game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement