Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Don’t know why certain posters have such an issue with Bob. A British broadcaster focusing on a British player in the world’s top 50 and looking like he could be a cracking player, playing in a tournament with nobody else in the top 50 playing...who’d have thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

fullstop wrote: »
    Don’t know why certain posters have such an issue with Bob. A British broadcaster focusing on a British player in the world’s top 50 and looking like he could be a cracking player, playing in a tournament with nobody else in the top 50 playing...who’d have thunk it.

My issue is not with the player at all, it's the sky coverage, including the on course interviews, when a player sets off to play a round, there should be no microphones allowed, it's invasive. I wonder what the reaction would be if I turned up at Tim Barters House, and interviewed him about what he was going to have for breakfast, I'd be arrested. What's he doing on the course during a tournament? Bland won for the first time ever, and they had the family on Skype, its nice and all that, but give the man a bit of privacy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

My issue is not with the player at all, it's the sky coverage, including the on course interviews, when a player sets off to play a round, there should be no microphones allowed, it's invasive. I wonder what the reaction would be if I turned up at Tim Barters House, and interviewed him about what he was going to have for breakfast, I'd be arrested. What's he doing on the course during a tournament? Bland won for the first time ever, and they had the family on Skype, its nice and all that, but give the man a bit of privacy

Jesus wept, why are you feeling offended on their behalf? You hardly think Tim just jumps out of the bushes, candid camera style, and shoves a mic in their faces??
    Pretty sure I read before that they’re asked before they start the round if they’ll do it, and they can say yes...or no. No big deal. I’ve yet to see Tim burst into a hotel room to interview a player having a ****e. Really cannot understand how you’re equating it with someone turning up at someone’s house, that really is clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You obviously haven't been watching much of the European tour and Robert Mcintyre is currently a top 50 player in the world at 24 and just finished 12th at the masters. Highest profile Scottish player currently.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

You obviously haven't been watching much of the European tour and Robert Mcintyre is currently a top 50 player in the world at 24 and just finished 12th at the masters. Highest profile Scottish player currently.

I wasn't aware he finished 12th in the masters, it was hardly mentioned at the time,except every 5 minutes for about 3 weeks, I had a discussion a while ago about world rankings, and mentioned Robert McIntyre and Abraham Ancer as being highly ranked but low on wins, I will look for it later, but can't find it now. Ancer is 19th in the world, despite winning 0 from 117 on the pga tour, he won the Australian open a couple of years ago. People will say he was 9th in the US Pga, but that was on the back of 65 on Sunday, he was +6 after 3 days, so nice finish, and more world ranking points, but he played Tiger Woods in the presidents Cup, and Ernie rls said he's a future world number one. All whilst playing in a tournament won by a 50 year old, who many considered past his best. Potential means you may do it, but it also means you haven't done it.

• Advertisement

Top Scottish player is some battle, Martin Laird, Russell Knox, Callum Hill Connor Syme, the Scots are a bit thin at the moment, Andrew Coltart, was discussing this, and he's dumbfounded. Paul Lawrie winning the open is the last Scottish major i think, Monty famously never won one, but he must have been the best Scottish golfer, Sandy Lyle maybe, but after that, I can't think who. Lyle won the masters, and san Torrance had his moments, but hopefully McIntyre will be a standout. Its a very high bar at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Good timing for Wiesberger to have a good tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Its a very high bar at the moment.

?:confused:

abff wrote: »
    ?:confused:

The standard of players at the top of the game, are of a very high standard, Morikawa Hovland, Neimann and a few more. If you want a real prospect, look at the South African youngster Jayden Schaper, he could be anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

looking at Macintyre's card for today he was storming home but undid all the good work with a triple on the 18th ,he had parred it the previous 3 days ,don't know what happened ?? looks to be index 1 hole alright ,score average 4.43.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Did Bland replace his ball on the 16th in its original position after it was hit by his playing partners ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The European open in Hamburg is from Saturday to Monday . Any idea why three days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭boccy23

Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh, restrictions lift enough in Germany for the tournament to be run in that format (starting Saturday)

It's only over 54 holes then because of that.

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12318648/european-tour-porsche-european-open-changes-date-and-length-due-to-covid-travel-restrictions

The standard of players at the top of the game, are of a very high standard, Morikawa Hovland, Neimann and a few more. If you want a real prospect, look at the South African youngster Jayden Schaper, he could be anything.

The game in South Africa seems to be very healthy. They keep producing good new young players every year.
    They same cannot be said for Ireland. Most weeks you have to look a long way down the leaderboard of a European Tour event to find any Irish player at all. There must be some deficiency in the GUI under-age structure that underlies this problem. It’s certainly not for want of top class courses and facilities.

Does anyone know how this week’s Scandinavian Mixed is going to work? I see there are 78 men and 78 women taking part, with a single prize fund and with the winner based on total strokes (which rules out having a different par for men and women and basing the result on score relative to par). Will the same tees be used for both men and women?

I’ve tried searching online and have been unable to find anything about the format, other than the fact that they will play in groups of 3, with either 2 men and 1 woman or 2 women and 1 man in each group.

Does anyone know how this week’s Scandinavian Mixed is going to work? I see there are 78 men and 78 women taking part, with a single prize fund and with the winner based on total strokes (which rules out having a different par for men and women and basing the result on score relative to par). Will the same tees be used for both men and women?

I’ve tried searching online and have been unable to find anything about the format, other than the fact that they will play in groups of 3, with either 2 men and 1 woman or 2 women and 1 man in each group.
    I can’t see how they can run a fair competition if they use different tees. What would likely happen is that if, after day one, there are not enough women at the top end of the leaderboard the tees would be tweaked for the second day.
    If this sort of format becomes a normal replacement for current regular events then both the men and women who are lower down the rankings are going to lose out by not getting a starting place.
    However, if it is just a one-off event then there would be no problem and will be interesting to watch.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I can’t see how they can run a fair competition if they use different tees. What would likely happen is that if, after day one, there are not enough women at the top end of the leaderboard the tees would be tweaked for the second day.
    If this sort of format becomes a normal replacement for current regular events then both the men and women who are lower down the rankings are going to lose out by not getting a starting place.
    However, if it is just a one-off event then there would be no problem and will be interesting to watch.

I’m not sure I’m following what you’re saying about tweaking the tees on the second day. How would this work? And is the draw for the first two rounds not set in advance in any event?

If it’s a completely level playing field, then it seems likely that at most a handful of women golfers will qualify for the final two rounds. Maybe the organisers are OK with that?

When I was trying to find out how the event works, I saw a statement that the event would count for world ranking points for both men and women. I presume that would have to be done by reference to how each golfer places among their own gender?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It's 1 event, obviously women will tee further up. Even with the men off the back tees you'd imagine it will still be a male dominated leaderboard.

Speak Now wrote: »
    It's 1 event, obviously women will tee further up. Even with the men off the back tees you'd imagine it will still be a male dominated leaderboard.

Do you know that for a fact or are you just assuming that it will be the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The game in South Africa seems to be very healthy. They keep producing good new young players every year.
    They same cannot be said for Ireland. Most weeks you have to look a long way down the leaderboard of a European Tour event to find any Irish player at all. There must be some deficiency in the GUI under-age structure that underlies this problem. It’s certainly not for want of top class courses and facilities.

We're only a small country with a small population and we have plenty of players in the +3 and +4 handicap range but making the kick on from exceptional low amateur to professional is massive and it's certainly not faulting at underage level. If it was, we wouldn't have the dearth of underage talent that we do have.

It's when players hit young adult that maybe they are stalling and perhaps that is because of funding from sport Ireland for those young adults. We've had a number of good players down through the years who have looked for a dig out from their clubs to support them on the early part of their adult careers. It probably should be sport ireland that assist in that rather than it falling to their own clubs.

But the underage setup is excellent and there are almost unlimited provincial coaching and practice opportunities for any underage golfer showing a bit of talent and then ireland coaching for the really good kids

I’m not sure I’m following what you’re saying about tweaking the tees on the second day. How would this work? And is the draw for the first two rounds not set in advance in any event?

If it’s a completely level playing field, then it seems likely that at most a handful of women golfers will qualify for the final two rounds. Maybe the organisers are OK with that?

When I was trying to find out how the event works, I saw a statement that the event would count for world ranking points for both men and women. I presume that would have to be done by reference to how each golfer places among their own gender?

It’s nothing to do with the draw and I would expect that the women will play from forward tees, the question is how much forward?
    Tees are often changed from day to day in pro events. How would anyone determine what is a fair differential between the male and female tees when they are playing in the same competition for the same title and prize money.

Do you know that for a fact or are you just assuming that it will be the case?

For a fact.

It’s nothing to do with the draw and I would expect that the women will play from forward tees, the question is how much forward?
    Tees are often changed from day to day in pro events. How would anyone determine what is a fair differential between the male and female tees when they are playing in the same competition for the same title and prize money.

Roughly 900 yards shorter.

Men - 7060
    Women - 6138

Roughly 900 yards shorter.

Men - 7060
    Women - 6138

Thanks. Where did you find that information? I was obviously looking in all the wrong places.

Thanks. Where did you find that information? I was obviously looking in all the wrong places.

The video with Henrik and Annika explaining the format mentions the different tees, betting sites had the yardage.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/scandinavian-mixed-betting-tv-2021/

Rikand wrote: »
    We're only a small country with a small population and we have plenty of players in the +3 and +4 handicap range but making the kick on from exceptional low amateur to professional is massive and it's certainly not faulting at underage level. If it was, we wouldn't have the dearth of underage talent that we do have.

It's when players hit young adult that maybe they are stalling and perhaps that is because of funding from sport Ireland for those young adults. We've had a number of good players down through the years who have looked for a dig out from their clubs to support them on the early part of their adult careers. It probably should be sport ireland that assist in that rather than it falling to their own clubs.

But the underage setup is excellent and there are almost unlimited provincial coaching and practice opportunities for any underage golfer showing a bit of talent and then ireland coaching for the really good kids

Sport Ireland do issue funding every year to up and coming professionals. This years was announced recently. The total amount is around €250K and plenty of players getting funding. From memory they all seemed to get between 15 & 20K. While not a massive amount it certainly does give them a leg up.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

How do you define dominated? Say how many women in the top 20?

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    How do you define dominated? Say how many women in the top 20?

Similar past events have been male dominated. Looking at the early starters it looks like they've got the right balance right with a good mix in the top 20. Let's see how it plays out over 4 days. Prize money wise it's a big purse for the women compared to most regular LET events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Similar past events have been male dominated. Looking at the early starters it looks like they've got the right balance right with a good mix in the top 20. Let's see how it plays out over 4 days. Prize money wise it's a big purse for the women compared to most regular LET events.

So define dominated? I would guess you mean less than 5 women in top 20 come Sunday and probably less than 25% make the cut

Advertisement