Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

eagle eye wrote: »
    After what he allegedly did I've no time for him.

‘Allegedly’ is the point.......he hasn’t been convicted of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

After what he allegedly did I've no time for him.

Wouldn't be the first person to get drunk and act the idiot. I don't think his career should be ruined by one mistake.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nonsheep7

What are the chances of spectators being allowed to attend the Irish Open in July ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

nonsheep7 wrote: »
    What are the chances of spectators being allowed to attend the Irish Open in July ??

Close to zero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I'd say it has a fair chance of being one of the pilot events being outdoors over a large area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Pretty good I'd say if the vaccine rollout delivers on its numbers.

Since March the 21st, at the Kenyan Open, there have been 4 different South African European tour winners. From Justin Harding, Danie Van Tonder both in Kenya, Garrick Higgo last week at the Gran Canarian Open and now Dean Burmester who shot a 9 under 62 to win by 5 shots at the Tenerife Open today. South Africa continue to produce some outstanding talents and have other quality young players like Jayden Schaper and Casey Jarvis who is a huge hitter and with massive potential.

From an Irish perspective, Jonathan Caldwell dropped away in the final round and finished well down the pack, despite being only 4 shots off the lead after 54 holes. Niall Kearney also finished well down the leaderboard. While Cormac Sharvin and Paul Dunne are struggling to find their best form and missed the cut.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm finding it very hard to get some enjoyment watching European tour golf these days. I would just love to see an Irish player get into contention for a tournament as you get such adrenaline and buzz cheering on a paddy when they are down the stretch contending for a championship. The fact that they are so few Irish players on the main European tour does dilute people's appetite to watching golf on the tv.

Finally enormous credit must go to Keith Pelley and all the authorities and organizers in bringing golf on the European tour in this difficult environment. Clearly the covid situation is very complex and evolving. Some tournaments have gone by the wayside eg Portugal Masters and French Open. They were suggestions that there could be a Florida swing as part of the contingency arrangements if tournaments got postponed or cancelled. But they have ensured a safe playing environment and experience for players, caddies and coaches and in fairness they have implemented a strict enforcement policy for players to comply with the covid regulations and secure bubbles.

The European tour is going through a rough patch at present with many of our top players playing in the US and trying to compete with the riches of the PGA Tour. But here's hoping that this recent arrangement/partnership with the PGA Tour will pay dividends for the European tour and hopefully we will se a revival in the fortunes of a tour, that has a proud history and will continue to play a major role in developing the stars of tomorrow and present that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I fear for the European tour at this stage, the leaderboards the last few weeks have been incredibly weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Paul Dunne and Niall Kearney going well

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Paul Dunne and Niall Kearney going well

you put the hex on dunne, 2 bogeys and a double in his last 4 holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭paulos53

Another bogey. He has gone from 2nd place to struggling to make the cut in the space of 7 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 37,972 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wouldn't be the first person to get drunk and act the idiot. I don't think his career should be ruined by one mistake.
    Didn't see this until now but one of the charges is sexual assault. If he's guilty of that his career should be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patob

Great round from Niall Kearney, only 4 off the lead. Hopefully a good weekend coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Didn't see this until now but one of the charges is sexual assault. If he's guilty of that his career should be over.

The definition of that can be as loose as a Friday night in coppers. Id have yo know the details before condemning him completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭Xander10

The definition of that can be as loose as a Friday night in coppers. Id have yo know the details before condemning him completely.

A night in Coppers might involve two drunk persons. I doubt the stewardess was drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Xander10 wrote: »
    A night in Coppers might involve two drunk persons. I doubt the stewardess was drunk.

I meant the definition of sexual assault can be pretty loose these days.

If he told her she had a nice ass with one too many miniatures on board hes a bit of bellend but I don't think he should lose his livlihood. If he followed her down the ailse dry humping and groping her then he should definitely be thrown off tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I meant the definition of sexual assault can be pretty loose these days.

If he told her she had a nice ass with one too many miniatures on board hes a bit of bellend but I don't think he should lose his livlihood. If he followed her down the ailse dry humping and groping her then he should definitely be thrown off tour.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9767183/ryder-cup-winner-thorbjorn-olesen-not-guilty-plea-heathrow/

It's the Sun I know but I think the accusation as was widely reported at the time was that he drunkenly kissed her hand and neck and groped her breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Hole in one from Higgo . He should win now

Great performance from Kearney.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

C'mon Niall, just 2 holes to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

In the clubhouse, T3, 6 back of the leader.

Just saying......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Excellent round by Kearney. I doubt he'll still be second at the finish but a decent cheque and move up the rankings.

He would be very happy to avoid Tour school this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Higgo looks to have the game and the temperament to get to the very top of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Must have been disheartening for Kearney watching the 18th green from the clubhouse and seeing his prizemoney heading in the wrong direction .....

Antcliff (-21) got a birdie to move up to sole 2nd
    Pulkkanen (-20) got a birdie to move up to sole 3rd
    Hojgaard got an eagle, Burmester, Beef (Johnston) and Arnaus got birdies so they joined Kearney on -19 and the five of them finished joint 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭Xander10

coylemj wrote: »
    Must have been disheartening for Kearney watching the 18th green from the clubhouse and seeing his prizemoney heading in the wrong direction .....

what cheque is he likely to pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Motivator

On the European Tour, the winner gets 16.6% of the tournament purse. €1.5m total purse for this tournament, solo 4th place gets €75,000 but the tie money is split up to cover the places i.e if there’s 5 players tied 4th then prize money from 4th - 9th is added together and shared among those players.

I'd imagine not too many Irish players have hit a 61 in competition.

I'd a 61 myself last week but only played 12 holes :o

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They’ve posted the numbers, he gets 51k euros.

They used to show the table of prize money in advance on the ET website under ‘tournament info’ but for about a year now, I haven’t been able to find it anywhere until after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jams100

They used to show the table of prize money in advance on the ET website under ‘tournament info’ but for about a year now, I haven’t been able to find it anywhere until after the event.

A 26th finish in the Wells Fargo would yield the same prize money (Exchange rate included). It's sad but its why most big players won't play on the European tour.

Very disappointing that a few Spanish players didn't show up for at least one or two of the events (Cabrera Bello) excluded.

Hopefully crowds will be allowed back into european tour events soon, they really need that money and the atmosphere the crowd brings. It's a pity we've fec* all Irish reputation on the european tour these days, nice to see Niall get a decent paycheck, hopefully he can push on and get a full card with the limited starts he will get.

An Irish open invitation should be on the cards for him now surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Motivator

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.sportekz.com/golf/tenerife-open-2021-prize-money/

Advertisement