Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Surprised to read that Catlin only recently turned 30, I assumed he was a good bit older. At the rate he's going I presume he'll be on the PGA tour before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Surprised to read that Catlin only recently turned 30, I assumed he was a good bit older. At the rate he's going I presume he'll be on the PGA tour before long.
    He is so unpredictable!!

Between his 2 wins he had 6 MC, T28, T42 and T54 for a grand total of ZERO world ranking points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Interesting that Wiesberger didn’t play his home open!

I was wondering about that but presume it's due to some Covid quarantine thing as he played the Masters last week.

Don't think there was anyone in the field who played the Masters last week? Same reason Shane could miss the Irish Open this year.

I can't imagine Bernd didn't play because they wouldn't give him an appearance fee.

Great to see Dubliner Niall Kearney just inside the top 10 in the Gran Canarian Open on the European tour. Currently 10 under thru 12 holes of his third round and 4 under for the day. Niall, a former GB&I Walker cup player in 2009, is a terrific ball striker and if he can pick up a few more birdies coming home and the wind picks up for the later starters, lets just say stranger things have happened for sure.

It appears that Ulsterman Tom McKibbin, dubbed the next Rory McIlroy, has turned professional and will make his pro debut at next week's Tenerife Open.

Meanwhile despite turning pro back in January, there is no sign of 2019 Amateur champion James Sugrue returning to play competitive golf and he might have to wait until the Irish Challenge on the Challenge tour in Portmarnock in late May, before we see the pride of Mallow makes his pro debut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Great to see Dubliner Niall Kearney just inside the top 10 in the Gran Canarian Open on the European tour. Currently 10 under thru 12 holes of his third round and 4 under for the day. Niall, a former GB&I Walker cup player in 2009, is a terrific ball striker and if he can pick up a few more birdies coming home and the wind picks up for the later starters, lets just say stranger things have happened for sure.

Noticed that yesterday. Being honest I had never heard of him before. Going ok today, looking like top 30 and his best pay day this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Kieffer runner up two weeks in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 37,972 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Higgo a winner twice before his 22nd birthday, gonna be a top player I think.

It appears that Ulsterman Tom McKibbin, dubbed the next Rory McIlroy, has turned professional and will make his pro debut at next week's Tenerife Open.

Meanwhile despite turning pro back in January, there is no sign of 2019 Amateur champion James Sugrue returning to play competitive golf and he might have to wait until the Irish Challenge on the Challenge tour in Portmarnock in late May, before we see the pride of Mallow makes his pro debut.

He is only ranked 104 (best 74) in the world amateur rankings. Would that not indicate he is quite a bit off the required standard to succeed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

European Tour really looks to be dying a slow death at this stage. A succession of nothing tournaments.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote:
    European Tour really looks to be dying a slow death at this stage. A succession of nothing tournaments.
    I thought the weekend was fabulous, beautiful weather, low scoring.
    The play from Higgo and Kiefer was top class.
    I'm not a big fan of the European tour but events like this one are good. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I thought the weekend was fabulous, beautiful weather, low scoring.
    The play from Higgo and Kiefer was top class.
    I'm not a big fan of the European tour but events like this one are good. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

The events can be good, no doubt, but the courses, presentation of the courses etc. these days is so far behind the PGA tour.

fullstop wrote:
    The events can be good, no doubt, but the courses, presentation of the courses etc. these days is so far behind the PGA tour.
    They are not really comparable just as comparing the European tour to the Sunshine tour or the Australasian one is unfair. That's a money thing and there isn't anywhere near the same money for golf in Europe that there is the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Would the Walker Cup snub be the reason why McKibbon has went pro?

Would have thought he'd be nailed on for a college spot in America.

Would the Walker Cup snub be the reason why McKibbon has went pro?

Would have thought he'd be nailed on for a college spot in America.

Might not have the smarts?

You still need pass the exams even if they help you a lot on scholarship

eagle eye wrote: »
    They are not really comparable just as comparing the European tour to the Sunshine tour or the Australasian one is unfair. That's a money thing and there isn't anywhere near the same money for golf in Europe that there is the US.

That’s kinda my point. At one time they were broadly comparable, but now the PGA tour is streets ahead and the European tour has gone the other direction, at times it’s more akin to the Challenge tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

fullstop wrote: »
    That’s kinda my point. At one time they were broadly comparable, but now the PGA tour is streets ahead and the European tour has gone the other direction, at times it’s more akin to the Challenge tour.

It’s all to do with money. The prize funds on the European tour are tiny compared to the PGA. It’s more difficult for the European tour events to attract sponsors because the game itself is regarded as very much a minority sport in most European countries. In many countries it has hardly any visibility at all so there is no value to the sponsors.
    It’s very unlikely that the situation is going to change anytime soon. The profile of the game in Europe is low and is going to remain low for the foreseeable future while the profile of the game in the US seems to be on an ever upward trajectory.

The last few tournaments have been challenge tour events in everything but name.

I can only see the gap between the two tours getting bigger at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Might not have the smarts?

You still need pass the exams even if they help you a lot on scholarship

The fact that he did GCSEs but not A-levels maybe doesn't help, it looks like he needs to do some other exams to bridge that gap to be allowed into uni. There's no doubt that even a couple of years in the US collegiate system would have done him good from a golfing and life perspective.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but his results don't put him in the bracket of the top top amateurs and I expect it will take quite a few years for him to find his feet as a pro. Looks like he has great backing and a massive profile, which will really help him, but I expect it to be tough for him the next few years and I hope that doesn't stifle him in the long term.

The fact that he did GCSEs but not A-levels maybe doesn't help, it looks like he needs to do some other exams to bridge that gap to be allowed into uni. There's no doubt that even a couple of years in the US collegiate system would have done him good from a golfing and life perspective.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but his results don't put him in the bracket of the top top amateurs and I expect it will take quite a few years for him to find his feet as a pro. Looks like he has great backing and a massive profile, which will really help him, but I expect it to be tough for him the next few years and I hope that doesn't stifle him in the long term.

He has the profile as 'the next Rory' because he is from the same Club and is very talented. He hasn't anywhere near the success Rory had as an amateur though. Obviously he is turning Pro now because he wasn't selected for the Walker Cup and wasn't going to hang around another 2 years. Professional Golf is a tough life though and the sponsors invites will dry up quick enough if you aren't performing.

Good luck to him but I fear he is following the trend we have seen recently of Irish guys turning Pro and having no status in a couple of years. Hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Played this Costa Adeje course in Tenerife loads of times over the years.

Six Par 3s,six par 4s and six par 5s. They seem to have changed the 8th to a par 4 for the professionals.

Looking forward to seeing it on telly over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,859 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Played this Costa Adeje course in Tenerife loads of times over the years.

Six Par 3s,six par 4s and six par 5s. They seem to have changed the 8th to a par 4 for the professionals.

Looking forward to seeing it on telly over the weekend.

They really are blitzing the course so far, Caitlin 10 under through 13!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Considering there are five Par 5s and it's a Par 71 you'd have to think a sub 60 score is a real possibility this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

40 under for the win! 4 steady 61's should get the job done.

James Sugrue to make his professional debut on the Challenge Tour next month, starting with two Swedish events from the middle of next month. He will also play in the Irish Challenge at Portmarmock at the end of May, the scene of his British amateur championship success two years ago.

James Sugrue to make his professional debut on the Challenge Tour next month, starting with two Swedish events from the middle of next month. He will also play in the Irish Challenge at Portmarmock at the end of May, the scene of his British amateur championship success two years ago.

Portmarnock Links for the Irish Challenge. Won the Amateur in Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Steady start to his professional career for young Tom McKibbin in Tenerife,
    currently -1 through 8 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,859 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice to see Olesen getting back to his best.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I saw the other day that his trial was delayed by 18 months, it was meant to be last summer but got put off to the end of this year.

I understand the plan was for him to be banned from the tour until the outcome of the trial, but once it became clear how long the delay would be they lifted the ban.

• Advertisement

After what he allegedly did I've no time for him.

Advertisement