Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopped Searched and Robbed by 12 year olds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sdeire wrote: »
    Truth can hurt.

Kid needs to send the two little ****s packing the next time they come asking, or they'll come asking until it is better to take the hassle the semi-mythical older family members might bring.

Hurleys are great, too, but to be used in legal moderation.

Truth can hurt? The kid had enough cop on and survival instinct to walk away over a fiver. The possible outcome could have been a hell of a lot worse had he bet the crap out of the mugger.

To call him a pansy or tell him to grow a pair is just plain wrong! Comments like that are the exact same as the whole 'man up' thing which lets face it, would do him more damage than getting a fiver taken off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

smash wrote: »
    Truth can hurt? The kid had enough cop on and survival instinct to walk away over a fiver. The possible outcome could have been a hell of a lot worse had he bet the crap out of the mugger.

To call him a pansy or tell him to grow a pair is just plain wrong! Comments like that are the exact same as the whole 'man up' thing which lets face it, would do him more damage than getting a fiver taken off him.

It's a fiver this time. It's a tenner next time. It's a fifty next time. It's his girlfriend next time.

Yes it's harsh, but that doesn't take away the reality.

Ideally the family would move away to a different location, removing the problem. That's not always a realistic solution.

So my advice would be to adapt to the situation that's currently present. Quickly.

Tlachtga wrote: »
    It's a fiver this time. It's a tenner next time. It's a fifty next time. It's his girlfriend next time.

Ideally the family would move away to a different location, removing the problem. That's not always a realistic solution.

So my advice would be to adapt to the situation that's currently present. Quickly.

It's the wrong advice!

When I was 16 a few kids from the flats down the road tried to start on myself and my mates. We told them to fcuk off and one of them threw a dig. My friend nearly took the kids head off and they all ran. Within 30 minutes all the big brothers were out and my friend got stabbed twice in the leg!

It's the wrong advice!

When I was 16 a few kids from the flats down the road tried to start on myself and my mates. We told them to fcuk off and one of them threw a dig. My friend nearly took the kids head off and they all ran. Within 30 minutes all the big brothers were out and my friend got stabbed twice in the leg!

So you would advise to accept the new twelve-year-old overlords, succumb to their every demand?

That's the world you want your child to grow up in?

So you would advise to accept the new twelve-year-old overlords, succumb to their every demand?

That's the world you want your child to grow up in?

Yea that's it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I'd get that young lad into the local boxing club, when i was around that age i had a bully annoying me and that, few months of boxing word got around what i was at, bully got all nice. I never even hit the bastard but he knew what was coming if he kept it up.

Yea that's it :rolleyes:

I'm honestly talking about realistic solutions here.

Do you want your kid to be seen as an easy target? Do that guy, he's easy money?

Or do you want him to be known as 'difficult'? You can try him, but he'll fight back. Not worth the effort.

It's your call, really.

I'm honestly talking about realistic solutions here.

Do you want your kid to be seen as an easy target? Do that guy, he's easy money?

Or do you want him to be known as 'difficult'? You can try him, but he'll fight back. Not worth the effort.

It's your call, really.

Have you ever been, or know anyone who's been involved in an altercation like this? The kid has made it clear that the family are known and had enough cop on to realise that the older brothers will come after him!

Have you ever been, or know anyone who's been involved in an altercation like this? The kid has made it clear that the family are known and had enough cop on to realise that the older brothers will come after him!

My own little brothers have been targeted in this sort of situation.

In one case, my little brother (who, as it happens, has a severe heart condition) had a knife drawn on him.

I'm speaking from experience here. Ideally, they wouldn't be put in such circumstances. BUT, if they are, better for them to tough themselves up a bit.

If they act like saps once, they'll been known as that forever and they'll be targeted forever.

Sad, but very true.

My own little brothers have been targeted in this sort of situation.

In one case, my little brother (who, as it happens, has a severe heart condition) had a knife drawn on him.

So your advice would be for him to fight back disregarding his condition?
    If they act like saps once, they'll been known as that forever and they'll be targeted forever.

Sad, but very true
    Really? That sounds like something a teenager would say! People grow up and move on!

• Advertisement

So your advice would be for him to fight back disregarding his condition?

What, you'd expect him to explain his condition to them? That they might give him some sort of a 'free pass' because of it?
    Really? That sounds like something a teenager would say! People grow up and move on!

Yes. It sounds like something a teenager would say.

Because it's teenagers we're dealing with here!!

What, you'd expect him to explain his condition to them? That they might give him some sort of a 'free pass' because of it?
    I'd expect someone who should know better, to give him better advise!

Yes. It sounds like something a teenager would say.

Because it's teenagers we're dealing with here!!
    Maybe I was wrong to assume you weren't a teenager. Because you sound like one right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Festy wrote: »
    The scum should be gassed and the people who stick up for these vermon should be gassed too.They are nothing but a cancer to society,they bleed the state dry and get away with bloody murder.If any settled person committed half the crimes they do they would be locked up for life yet these filth only get a slap on the wrist.Fkn pathetic,joke of a country.

i think it's true to say that a high percentage of males from the community we dare not name have served time in jail. Regretably that very fact means there is no stigma for them and no fear of the law as a result.
    I don't know what the solution is, except that I would ,if possible , not live in an area such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Folks, can we cut out the traveller bashing? Bestowing a negative stereotype on an entire group is racist, whether you want to believe it or not, an it's against the forum charter. Trying to get away by saying "not all, but most" isn't going to help you.

And it's depressing that I actually have to point out that demanding ethnic cleansing is also not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The actual reality is that some battles make things worse due to the people being battled, and some people aren't able for fighting - and there's nothing wrong with that. Strange how you blatantly refuse to acknowledge that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

humanji wrote: »
    Folks, can we cut out the traveller bashing?

Yeah, this could work. Perhaps you could also ask the travellers to stop bashing the settled peoples kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Madam_X wrote: »
    The actual reality is that some battles make things worse due to the people being battled, and some people aren't able for fighting - and there's nothing wrong with that. Strange how you blatantly refuse to acknowledge that.

The mother has said hes a big lad and probably more than capable of knocking the mugger into next week - but he has enough common sense to realise the consequences of such actions will be worse than losing the occassional fiver. In an ideal world, of course we would all love to defend and stick up for ourselves - but sometimes you just have to take it on the chin and keep on moving.

He sounds like a relatively smart 16 year old. Not many are that rational and restrained. He'll do fine. The mugger will eventually get his comeuppance. They always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Allyall wrote: »
    One thing is for certain. Let them away with it, and they'll keep doing it.
    If the kid who is getting bullied parents' are afraid to do anything, then what chance has the kid got?
    Stand up, group together, talk to other kids parents, how many parents together can stop this?
    Is Everyone afraid?

Surely there must be somebody in or around the area you live that isn't afraid to do anything. Get the lot of ye together, get the Gardaí, and have a meeting. Probably a lot more going on that you don't know about.

These 12 year olds will be their victims best friends in a few years when they're trying to get them strung out on smack, and "earn" their money that way. Exaggeration maybe, but not too much.

If you all have a meeting, and decide to do something about it, no single kid will stand out, or be the one they "make an example of".

If you don't stop it now, it'll probably get worse. Some kid will be sick of it, stand up to them and probably take a proper beating.

You have the advantage of now knowing about it, do something about it.
    Agree with this. I heard of a similar situation in an area of my hometown. The usual deal; a couple of families giving the whole area a bad name, so the local residents got together and, en mass, told the trouble makers that they simply weren't going to stand for it any more. Word is that it's better there now because the trouble makers know that everyone knows who they are, and that everyone is united against them.

If the people in the OP get their entire estate behind them what will the troublemakers do? Beat up everyone?

Used to happen to us as teens , except it was other rougher 16 years olds. They would routinely 'search' us for smokes.

There was no rage or malice on either side, just a sort of grim acceptance that this was the reality. It normally finished with a condescending pat on the back from them , as if to say that we had done well.

Ah, the best years of my life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kylith wrote: »

If the people in the OP get their entire estate behind them what will the troublemakers do? Beat up everyone?

Most people won't though.

Feel sorry for the OP and I know where he's coming from.

Two 16 year olds pikeys (as tall as me) got cheeky with me on the Luas a while back: nothing major just making smart comments. Told them off and they backed down but very tempted to clatter them to be honest, but you know that you'll just be on the Luas again with your kid or something and they'll be on it with their 18 half-brothers and 10 dads.

No use in bringing extra grief on yourself unless it's a situation where you genuinely have to physically defend yourself.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Most people won't though.

Feel sorry for the OP and I know where he's coming from.

Two 16 year olds pikeys (as tall as me) got cheeky with me on the Luas a while back: nothing major just making smart comments. Told them off and they backed down but very tempted to clatter them to be honest, but you know that you'll just be on the Luas again with your kid or something and they'll be on it with their 18 half-brothers and 10 dads.

No use in bringing extra grief on yourself unless it's a situation where you genuinely have to physically defend yourself.

You don't know until you try.

The only other thing is to try to get an increased Garda presence, which would be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I understand where you are coming from, but to be honest, I'd rather tell the two 12 year olds to fook off and take my hiding off the older brothers (should they appear). Give it once and they will know you will give it again.

Even when the older brothers / friends appear, tell the young lad to stand up for himself. Black eyes etc. will heal. Constantly being taken for a mug and losing 5 quid everytime you walk down the street is not on.

Even if standing up to the older brothers isn't an option, I'd still tell the two lads to do-one and report any further assaults or intimidation to the Gardai. Still option one for me though, maybe coupled with a hurley.

We stood up and they came and smashed every one of our windows

Don't **** with a large group of 8 to 12 yr old scumbags they are immune from the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've experienced this, when I was 15 so only in the last few years this would happen every once in a while, standing up to them doesn't mean kicking the ****e out of them though, just telling them to **** off does the trick.. They know you're twice their size.. and when they run back to their bigger brothers or whoever and say "this lad told me to **** off when i was trying to steal from him" they would probably get themselves beaten up at home. It's only if you were to hit them that their family would come after you...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you are going into battle with one of these types go for the stomach area,they have spent their lives feasting on junk food from service stations at the side of the road and this has left their stomachs like butter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'll be honest. I have no idea how many times I've heard the "I'll my cousin/brother/dad on ya" line, but it has always been an empty threat. I'm not saying it never happens anyone, but I have never heard of it happening to me or anyone else.The kind of people who do this don't come from loving, supporting families, so what are the chances that they'll actually come out and start **** with you if they come crying about you telling them to **** off? Pretty ****ing slim, ime.

I hate to blame the victim, but really, he just needs to tell these guys to **** off, and stand up for himself.

If you are going into battle with one of these types go for the stomach area,they have spent their lives feasting on junk food from service stations at the side of the road and this has left their stomachs like butter

And go after the biggest one. Once you kick him in the nuts and he goes down the rest will back off. And don't be afraid to bite, scratch and kick. The bit in Fight Club where yer man is on top of the other guy, bleeding into his mouth and yelling 'You don't know what I've got, man! You don't know what I've got!' is the kind of thing you're going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

OP has a choice, move to an area which is skanger free, or deal with the trouble makers collectively if there are enough decent people in the area. Nobody can have a life giving into scumbags, life is too short

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Corvo

Jonny7 wrote: »
    We stood up and they came and smashed every one of our windows

Don't **** with a large group of 8 to 12 yr old scumbags they are immune from the law.

Simple fact of the matter is, whether they are 12 years of age, immune from the law and have ten thousand family members who are like rabid dogs, if you don't stand up for yourself, you are in for a very hard life.

Because you know what? There will be people trying to harass you or bully you in college, work and the pubs / clubs all throughout your life. Young pricks have the unfortunate habit of becoming middle aged pricks and middle aged pricks usually become old pricks.

Do the standing up for yourself now and it will be hardwired into you. And it does not always have to be a physical thing, it can be a work argument or just plain not being taken for a push over.

If he's a smart kid, it won't go to his head if he pulls the head off one of them. He won't think he is some "hard man" but he will have dealt with a situation that they created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Some real chestnuts here as ever from the hoary old school of hit the bully and he'll start crying and leave you alone forever type spoofs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Simple fact of the matter is, whether they are 12 years of age, immune from the law and have ten thousand family members who are like rabid dogs, if you don't stand up for yourself, you are in for a very hard life.

Because you know what? There will be people trying to harass you or bully you in college, work and the pubs / clubs all throughout your life. Young pricks have the unfortunate habit of becoming middle aged pricks and middle aged pricks usually become old pricks.

Do the standing up for yourself now and it will be hardwired into you. And it does not always have to be a physical thing, it can be a work argument or just plain not being taken for a push over.

If he's a smart kid, it won't go to his head if he pulls the head off one of them. He won't think he is some "hard man" but he will have dealt with a situation that they created.

Oh I agree, stand up to bullies

But a group of feral children on an estate? yeah you risk ****ing up your life, luckily it was rental and we moved

I've been threatened with screwdrivers, a knife, a syringe, a rock being held up against my face - some people out there aren't 1940's bullies, they have no idea about right or wrong and will put you in hospital so damn fast

In those situations I'll take the 'get the **** away' option before the 'life-changing injuries' thanks bob

Advertisement