Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopped Searched and Robbed by 12 year olds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

When I was in my teens I Lived next to a bit of a rough park which was frequent hanging grounds for youths from a certain... "subcultural community". Was robbed a few times in that park once at knife point, Never had much to be robbed of though thankfully.

Some people are stupid enough to not care if they stick you with a knife or kick you in the head. And with that it could be all over for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

yeah, the old timers will regale us all about when they were kids they stood up to the local bullys and sorted their stuff out.

however, things are quite different now. the scum know no fear, happy to leave you bleeding to death in the street, they will go to jail, become heroes amongst the other scum. and you're dead.

what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Festy wrote: »
    Sounds like travellers to me :mad:

Really?

How so?

humbert wrote: »
    It's possible the reason the 12 year-olds are doing it is that the law can't touch them.

And it's also possible the reason they're doing it is 'cos they couldn't give a flying fcuk about the law, knowing damn well that it won't touch them and so not be particularly interested in the can't

If the OP is worried about the big brothers/cousins making bigger problems for her son, then it's clear that these two 12 year olds are growing up watching older and bigger family members do what they please with total impunity, doing what they like and getting away with it for years and years, so it only stands to reason that they would now think the same way.

And like it or not, they happen to be right. They'll do what they damn well please, nobody is going to do anything about it, and if you don't like it you can have a brick in your window followed by a burning rag in your car's petrol tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Serious seriously 12 years old mugging 16 / 17 year olds WTF

Tips

Head butt to the face

Kick to the guts

Kick to the balls

Stamp ,stamp stamp

Unconscious

Walk away laughing

Turning out pockets to 12 year olds seriously

Bunch of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Really?

How so?
    12 year olds stealing from much bigger 16 year olds whose parents are sufficiently intimidated by the extended family to allow it to continue. Sounded like travellers to me too.

Given that the OP thanked the post I'm assuming his guess was correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I'm not one to condone violence usually but little sewer-rats like that deserve a well connected knuckle. They'll piss off the wrong person one day no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Quandary

I used to work with a lad who when he was 14 stood up to some scumbags one day after school in Limerick. He managed to fight them off when they tried to rob him.

He is now in his mid 20's and still gets attacked by that same family of scumbags and their mates when they see him on nights out.

He stood up for himself, and continues to do so but the intimidation continues. The gardai have been next to useless despite him making numerous complaints.

It's a terrible situation to be in. he doesn't mind so much when he's on his own but sometimes his gf is with him and he's worried she will get battered too. Unfortunately the law will only intervene when someone gets beaten to within an inch of their life or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

On the other hand, older brother might come around and shoot you. But sure scars on your face are better than scabs on your knees.
    :confused:

I don't think it's helpful for people to be saying the young fella should grow a pair etc - talk about redirecting the blame from the people who are to blame. What if he's a really timid kid? If the 12-year-olds are from known intimidating families, then it's taking a risk to get confrontational with them. Stories of how people did it and it was fine are all well and good, but people are different - not everyone is able for fighting. It's nothing to do with the truth hurting, the actual truth unfortunately is that not everyone who stands up for themselves will have things end well for them. And it's nothing to do with being "pathetic" or a "pansy" either. George McFly squaring up to Biff Tannen type stories are not always the reality, sadly.
    It's tricky - I think the kids they try and intimidate should do their best to just ignore them and walk away. I accept that might be easier said than done though.

Boys are really often expected to be tough no matter what gets thrown at them - we should be moving on from that kind of black and white thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

And pavee point wants to give these people ethnic rights, They are a torn in
    Ireland's side. A law to themselves and if anyone questions it, you are the
    racist.

• Advertisement

Madam_X wrote: »
    :confused:

I don't think it's helpful for people to be saying the young fella should grow a pair etc - talk about redirecting the blame from the people who are to blame. What if he's a really timid kid? If the 12-year-olds are from known intimidating families, then it's taking a risk to get confrontational with them. Stories of how people did it and it was fine are all well and good, but people are different - not everyone is able for fighting. It's nothing to do with the truth hurting, the actual truth unfortunately is that not everyone who stands up for themselves will win out.
    It's tricky - I think the kids they try and intimidate should do their best to just ignore them and walk away. I accept that might be easier said than done though.

Why should anyone be intimated? and just walking away makes them think
    they won. Fcuk that

Have you ever been in that situation?

0066ad wrote: »
    And pavee point wants to give these people ethnic rights, They are a torn in
    Ireland's side. A law to themselves and if anyone questions it, you are the
    racist.
    Broad insubstantial statements like that are why it's almost impossible to have a discussion on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

emo72 wrote: »
    yeah, the old timers will regale us all about when they were kids they stood up to the local bullys and sorted their stuff out.

however, things are quite different now. the scum know no fear, happy to leave you bleeding to death in the street, they will go to jail, become heroes amongst the other scum. and you're dead.

what to do?

I carried a home made blackjack and knew how to use it in the 80's do you think we didn't have to fight back back then
    Ye are a bunch if mollycoddled babies if you think being mugged by someone 25% younger than you is ok

It's talking to wimps on the Internet that has normalised being a puddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

OP, my heart goes out to you. What a tricky situation.

You seemed to be damned if you do and damned if you don't. I agree that not drawing on those types of families are for the best - You'll get no satisfaction from the Guards if anything happens. I have no idea what background these kids are from (its irrelevant anyway, this behaviour is completely unacceptable) but I hope you know what I mean when I say that it is evident that those children have been dragged up to say they think its okay to intimidate and steal. I certainly would not want to draw attention on my family from those kinds of people, though, which is why you are stuck.

On the other hand, it can't go on. Its a few euro here and there now, but what if its his phone next time, or his iPod maybe? This will escalate if it continues. They also may become violent towards him if he doesn't cooperate which won't be good either.

I have no advice for you, just letting you know that I sympathise. I think an informal chat with the guards is definitely for the best. Is there any way your son can avoid the areas these little scuts hang around?

Broad insubstantial statements like that are why it's almost impossible to have a discussion on the subject.

It's not a broad insubstantial statement, everybody knows for a reason what
    ethnic these people are without ever mentioning it.

0066ad wrote: »
    It's not a broad insubstantial statement, everybody knows for a reason what
    ethnic these people are without ever mentioning it.
    By that logic all black people refer each other as brother, all women cry during romantic movies, all men drive recklessly to impress their friends and all Irish people express surprise with a loud jaunty begorrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fair play to your son,

You do what you gotta do to survive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

One thing is for certain. Let them away with it, and they'll keep doing it.
    If the kid who is getting bullied parents' are afraid to do anything, then what chance has the kid got?
    Stand up, group together, talk to other kids parents, how many parents together can stop this?
    Is Everyone afraid?
    Surely there must be somebody in or around the area you live that isn't afraid to do anything. Get the lot of ye together, get the Gardaí, and have a meeting. Probably a lot more going on that you don't know about.

These 12 year olds will be their victims best friends in a few years when they're trying to get them strung out on smack, and "earn" their money that way. Exaggeration maybe, but not too much.

If you all have a meeting, and decide to do something about it, no single kid will stand out, or be the one they "make an example of".

If you don't stop it now, it'll probably get worse. Some kid will be sick of it, stand up to them and probably take a proper beating.

You have the advantage of now knowing about it, do something about it.

By that logic all black people refer each other as brother, all women cry during romantic movies, all men drive recklessly to impress their friends and all Irish people express surprise with a loud jaunty begorrah.

Is that your reply? where in the did hell you come up with that logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

At least they are functioning members of society and the men will grow up and not be reckless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I'm sorry, but did someone use the word Puddy? Puddy!

Bahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

You'd be the man to sort this out, Don.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Madam_X wrote: »
    You'd be the man to sort this out, Don.

I'd make them an offer they can't refuse. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Claregirl wrote: »
    My 16 year old son

So anyone else have experience of this? Is it common? What did you do? What should I do?

I personally would tell them to fug off

That said if they got aggressive and your son hit back then their brother/cousin literally stomps on your sons head for a few minutes.... your son does something else and he gets stabbed...it can escalate to a guy with a gun kicking in your door at 4am very quickly.

gardai will do nothing till someone dies..they cant really

Either your son accepts being..... obedient .... or you find a way to let them know your family is not to be messed with...without escalating the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm sorry, but did someone use the word Puddy? Puddy!

Bahahahaha

i thaut i thaw a puddy cat

glad i amused you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

When someone says, or implies that if you fight them, their bigger brother will come and get you, deal with what's in front of you right now, worry about the brothers later. I got into a fight with a well known scumbags younger brother, same age as me - I broke his jaw. His older brother came around the next day and said fair fecks for standing up to the little b0llix sure he needed a good hiding. Whenever we met from then on, we got on grand.

On the other hand, older brother might come around and shoot you. But sure scars on your face are better than scabs on your knees. There were lads at my school who used to get their trainers robbed off their feet on the way to school and meekly accept it. I'd rather die, tbh. Better a day as a lion than a lifetime as a lamb.

I would agree with this but if it turns out that the tormentors are indeed travellers - just keep paying up. He will be off to college in a year or so and well away from them.

Never f*ck with travellers. Things will escalate quickly. It sucks but such is life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

The scum should be gassed and the people who stick up for these vermon should be gassed too.They are nothing but a cancer to society,they bleed the state dry and get away with bloody murder.If any settled person committed half the crimes they do they would be locked up for life yet these filth only get a slap on the wrist.Fkn pathetic,joke of a country.

mod: user banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

It's possible the reason the 12 year-olds are doing it is that the law can't touch them.

If your son stands up to them and the older brothers get involved then the Gardai might be able to do something. If you report the 12 year-olds you're wasting your time.

That's where you are wrong. Sure, they will get a jlo the first few times but that's not an indefinite situation. Eventually they get deemed unsuitable for the juvenile diversion program and get treated like adults. But if you keep putting off reporting them then that day won't come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I would agree with this but if it turns out that the tormentors are indeed travellers - just keep paying up. He will be off to college in a year or so and well away from them.

Never f*ck with travellers. Things will escalate quickly. It sucks but such is life.

This is the kind of attitude that lets things like this go on.

For what it's worth, the travelling community are one of those that would respect someone standing up for themselves and showing their ability to fight back. They're not bloody animals.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

SV wrote: »
    This is the kind of attitude that lets things like this go on.

For what it's worth, the travelling community are one of those that would respect someone standing up for themselves and showing their ability to fight back. They're not bloody animals.

Taking on a traveller family, especially one with a reputation, is like one of those old arcade fighting games. You beat one and a bigger, badder one comes along next. Its a family pride thing. He kicks the bollocks out of the 12 year old - then his brothers come along. If he beats them, it will be the older cousins. They are are not known for ending their feuds - if they feel like you slighted their family, they wont stop beating you up at any given opportunity.

To f*ck with that. Avoid them and if they catch up with you - pay the fiver. The lad is sixteen so he will be leaving for college in a year or so. The last thing he needs to do is to go to war with a traveller family.

There are little or no other options (legally) available. The cops wont touch them. You can talk to his family, but they will say that you are telling lies. Its a crap situation to be in, and I sympathise with the lad and his ma, but such is life.

Advertisement