Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopped Searched and Robbed by 12 year olds

Options
  • 21-04-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

My 16 year old son told me a story today about his friend who was robbed of €5. His friend who’s also sixteen was on his way to our estate when he was stopped by two twelve year olds and was ordered to turn out his pockets – he did this and had a fiver on him which was grabbed and the two scumbags then went on their way a fiver richer.

I was gobsmacked and said wtf surely he’s not scared of a couple of tiny 12 year olds? Why didn’t he just tell em to F*ck off?? My son then gave me a lecture on being “street smart” the 12 year olds are not the problem and could be easily taken care of - the problem comes from the extended family, cousins, older brothers etc and it’s just not worth the hassle or the hiding you’d get.

Apparently this is a regular occurrence and the lads usually try and avoid them or if they have money they hide it in their socks. Now my lad is a big strapping young fella and apparently he’s encountered this numerous times and has meekly turned out his pockets.

I’m absolutely livid but also feel powerless these scumbags are getting away with this through fear and intimidation. I’m all for reporting this to the Gardaí and telling my young fella to just ignore them and keep on walking but my OH reckons we’ll make a target out of our lad and he won’t be able to walk the street safely on his own if he “draws that shower on himself”.

So anyone else have experience of this? Is it common? What did you do? What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sounds as if the boys are trying to hide a crystal meth problem by pretending that they've been shaken down by some 12 year olds.

Have you considered drug counselling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Corvo

I understand where you are coming from, but to be honest, I'd rather tell the two 12 year olds to fook off and take my hiding off the older brothers (should they appear). Give it once and they will know you will give it again.

Even when the older brothers / friends appear, tell the young lad to stand up for himself. Black eyes etc. will heal. Constantly being taken for a mug and losing 5 quid everytime you walk down the street is not on.

Even if standing up to the older brothers isn't an option, I'd still tell the two lads to do-one and report any further assaults or intimidation to the Gardai. Still option one for me though, maybe coupled with a hurley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

The only way to put and end to crap like this is to stand up to the little sh1tes otherwise they'll just keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's like Simey says, M'uncle anthony's boys are going to take care of your boys. I am not going to skip the queue. I want to fight davey first, then your son john. He's the same age as meself, 34 he's in the prime of his life, and I am in the prime of my life. Now lets get it on Joe! Ya junkies junkies bastard ya! This is about them tapes you've been makin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Corvo

Sky King wrote: »
    It's like Simey says, M'uncle anthony's boys are going to take care of your boys. I am not going to skip the queue. I want to fight davey first, then your son john. He's the same age as meself, 34 he's in the prime of his life, and I am in the prime of my life. Now lets get it on Joe! Ya junkies junkies bastard ya! This is about them tapes you've been makin.

It's Mucklanty's house! :D

"All these DVD's that ye Jamaican"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Those little shytes are going to do it again and again, have your boy wallop the leader(take the king and the pawns fall). Should they go back,what are they going to say? "we were out robbing poeple when a nasty boy clocked us,mammy"? Make it aware to the Gardai what has happened, but you have a responsibility to teach the kid not to be some knack doormat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Oh FFS that's pathetic.

Your kid's friend seems a bit of a pansy (if that story is even real.)

He needs to learn to grow a pair and stand up for himself. No one else will do it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They don't even see it as robbing as all they have to do is ask.
    And they know nothing will happen.

Sooner rather than later they'll start trying for bigger game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Tlachtga wrote: »
    Oh FFS that's pathetic.

Your kid's friend seems a bit of a pansy (if that story is even real.)

He needs to learn to grow a pair and stand up for himself. No one else will do it for him.

Bit harsh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Tough situation OP. My initial reaction would be the same as yours. I hate this. He should at least keep walking and not let himself be bullied by children. He definitely should not turn out his pockets for them as its showing weakness to them. He shouldn't provoke them either or give them an excuse to get their family after your son.

Would you consider talking to your community garda on an informal basis without making a complaint. Let him/her know the situation and ask them to do something about it. If the situation continues perhaps talking to a local councillor. You have the law on your side and should be able to address the situation without drawing attention to your son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's possible the reason the 12 year-olds are doing it is that the law can't touch them.

If your son stands up to them and the older brothers get involved then the Gardai might be able to do something. If you report the 12 year-olds you're wasting your time.

humbert wrote: »
    It's possible the reason the 12 year-olds are doing it is that the law can't touch them.

If your son stands up to them and the older brothers get involved then the Gardai might be able to do something. If you report the 12 year-olds you're wasting your time.

Sounds like travellers to me :mad:

Op can I ask where you are based? I see you are a Clare girl, is it Ennis you are in or a smaller town?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

I had this happen to me once. Was walking down a town one day after a rugby match with 2 other friends, when we were approached by 3 knackers, about 12 years old. We were 16 and a fair bit bigger than them and could easily taken them, but of course the we ll have our LCA brothers down threat came and we hesitated . Eventually they ****ed off but I could defiently see they would go for a young lad on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

all very well having principles and stuff. but the gards wont be there when your son is battered. the scum have no fear of nothing unfortunately.

I had this happen to me once. Was walking down a town one day after a rugby match with 2 other friends, when we were approached by 3 knackers, about 12 years old. We were 16 and a fair bit bigger than them and could easily taken them, but of course the we ll have our LCA brothers down threat came and we hesitated . Eventually they ****ed off but I could defiently see they would go for a young lad on his own.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Based in Ennis and if the worst that could happen to him is a black eye that would be well and good.

Unfortunately these people are capable of intimidating entire communities so I'm reluctant to draw them on him.

Might just have a discreet informal chat with the Gardaí just to make them aware that this is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Festy wrote: »
    :confused:

Leaving Cert Applied.

Claregirl wrote: »
    Based in Ennis and if the worst that could happen to him is a black eye that would be well and good.

Unfortunately these people are capable of intimidating entire communities so I'm reluctant to draw them on him.

Might just have a discreet informal chat with the Gardaí just to make them aware that this is going on.

That's why I asked was it Ennis, I live in Galway and lived in Limerick for 4 years and I've had quite a few colleagues and friends over the years from Ennis. I've heard what certain areas of it can be like(no offence meant at all).

I still think he shouldn't let them bully him and turn out his pockets but he should be very careful about hitting them or anything like that. Anyway best of luck with the situation I hope it gets resolved for you.

Claregirl wrote: »

Honestly when it comes to these type of scum the cops won't do much about it not unless they catch them in the act.The best you can hope for is that they'll live up to their name and f##k off somewhere else asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 crimewave

Allowing themselves to be bullied by the 12-year-olds is going to end badly. I accept that it's not the 12-year-olds that they are frightened of, but they need to deal with the older lads only if/when they have a confrontation with them.
    If word gets around that they roll over for the younger lads they will be in trouble.
    I was taught from a young age always to walk away... But if that doesnt work, go for broke. Chances are they will have respect for you after that. Even if they dont outwardly show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

When someone says, or implies that if you fight them, their bigger brother will come and get you, deal with what's in front of you right now, worry about the brothers later. I got into a fight with a well known scumbags younger brother, same age as me - I broke his jaw. His older brother came around the next day and said fair fecks for standing up to the little b0llix sure he needed a good hiding. Whenever we met from then on, we got on grand.

On the other hand, older brother might come around and shoot you. But sure scars on your face are better than scabs on your knees. There were lads at my school who used to get their trainers robbed off their feet on the way to school and meekly accept it. I'd rather die, tbh. Better a day as a lion than a lifetime as a lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Can he engage them in conversation and show he has a common interest? bareknuckle boxing or stealing cars perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

What is LCA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Scare them off with your penis. Scare them off with your penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It's not exactly street smart now that they've identified your son's friend as an easy target who's always going to hand over the money handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

When someone says, or implies that if you fight them, their bigger brother will come and get you, deal with what's in front of you right now, worry about the brothers later. I got into a fight with a well known scumbags younger brother, same age as me - I broke his jaw. His older brother came around the next day and said fair fecks for standing up to the little b0llix sure he needed a good hiding. Whenever we met from then on, we got on grand.

On the other hand, older brother might come around and shoot you. But sure scars on your face are better than scabs on your knees. There were lads at my school who used to get their trainers robbed off their feet on the way to school and meekly accept it. I'd rather die, tbh. Better a day as a lion than a lifetime as a lamb.

Reminds me of this guy...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

had this same problem many yrs ago

the little scumbag and his mates used to nick me smokes.

not much i could do as i knew who their brothers were and would easily have been bet around

i had the last laugh though

the little scumbag ended up in pats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

smash wrote: »
    Bit harsh...

Truth can hurt.

Kid needs to send the two little ****s packing the next time they come asking, or they'll come asking until it is better to take the hassle the semi-mythical older family members might bring.

Hurleys are great, too, but to be used in legal moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I can't believe nobody's mentioned this thread yet as an example to the OP; similar situation, very different outcome-

I've just punched a child

Advertisement