Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls to remove illegal UVF flags in Belfast

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

GRMA wrote: »
    Michael Devine was the only one who broke to my knowledge (after a very short period of time) but buckling in Castlerae is nothing be ashamed of

The provisionals did not allow members to engage in such huge amounts of criminality and above all drugs. Drugs are a far cry from fags and wash and even then it wasn't to line their own pockets.

You can't deny that the reals are up to their necks with drugs in dublin, one faction barely even disguises it.

Considering you were in SF yourself until 97 (and presumably for a while before) you can see for yorself the differences between then and now in terms of criminality, infiltration and general thuggery.

But I will admit that Alan was a friendly enough guy and always turned up to protests but that in no way excuses the terrible things that went on and in no circumstances excuses criminality which in no way can be construed as being republican activity

And thats leaving aside my opinion on their political approach o things which imo is miles off course and is worse than doing nothing.
    8 of the ten made statements. But I don't use that as a slight against them.
    They were human beings.
    Yes, I was in SF pre 97 and no, I don't see any difference between those Republicans I worked with in the 80's and 90's and those I know today.
    Most are former members of Sinn Fein etc.
    I haven't met any dissident Republican who is involved in drugs or criminality.
    Sorry, but not one.
    Most are rabidly anti drug dealers and slightly to the right of the Taliban on the issue.
    Most of it is media invention and the same allegations was made against PSF.
    Even in the 70's the media used terms like "Godfathers" "mafia" "thugs and criminals" was used against the Provos (and the old IRA too)
    Fact is there is not a single Republican, north or south in jail for drugs offences.
    Can the Gardai, PSNI, B.A, or Defence Forces say the same?
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/navy-wren-smuggled-1million-cocaine-413511
    http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/?aid=13516

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

So the flags are still flying.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22307837

And loyalists have seemingly tried to reignite the holy cross dispute by painting kerbstones outside the school, erecting union jacks and holding a picket at the school gates. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Union flags, a Union Jack hangs off the back of a ship. Know your enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Union flags, a Union Jack hangs off the back of a ship. Know your enemy.

Hangs off the front... From The "Jack staff" or the pole on the bow of a warship.

Only then is it the Union Jack. In all other uses its the Union Flag...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

dubscottie wrote: »
    Hangs off the front... From The "Jack staff" or the pole on the bow of a warship.

Only then is it the Union Jack. In all other uses its the Union Flag...

Merchant vessels fly their flags from the stern. I wasn't aware that warships differ, surely they also fly a flag at the stern?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Advertisement