Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls to remove illegal UVF flags in Belfast

Options
  • 16-04-2013 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

CALLS have been made by Alliance MLA Chris Lyttle for the First and Deputy First Minister to address the misuse of all flags and emblems

after the erection of UVF flags in East Belfast.

It is understood the flags have been erected in connection with a forthcoming parade to mark the centenary

of the formation of the UVF.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/latest-alliance-concern-at-uvf-flag-display-1-4998980

Disgraceful that the UVF are allowed to operate openly and hang their flags up in broad daylight.

The PSNI should remove these sectarian flags immediately - nationalists have already lost a lot of faith in the PSNI (see Gerry Kellys speech at SF ard fheis) over the flegs debacle and now this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

The flags are not illegal, and the commerate the formation of the orginal UVF in 1913, and apparently are going to be removed after the parade on Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

GRMA wrote: »
    http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/latest-alliance-concern-at-uvf-flag-display-1-4998980

Disgraceful that the UVF are allowed to operate openly and hang their flags up in broad daylight.

The PSNI should remove these sectarian flags immediately - nationalists have already lost a lot of faith in the PSNI (see Gerry Kellys speech at SF ard fheis) over the flegs debacle and now this?

Next thing you know they'll be selling "Sniper at Large" badges to raise funds.

Here is a photo of the flag in question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

junder wrote: »
    The flags are not illegal, and the commerate the formation of the orginal UVF in 1913, and apparently are going to be removed after the parade on Saturday
    I think you may find that they are illegal.

The flag is clearly a UVF paramilitary flag, sticking "1913" on it doesnt make a bit of difference... who dont you tell us who the three men are on it?

• Advertisement

If you are going to make snide comments you can at least get it right.

World of difference between selling badges at a private function and sticking flags up alongside public roads

Any opinion on the flags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

This is the epitome of whataboutery.

This is the epitome of whataboutery.

Whataboutery? Highlighting double standards I think you mean.

If you are going to make snide comments you can at least get it right.

World of difference between selling badges at a private function and sticking flags up alongside public roads

Any opinion on the flags?

It looks to me as though it is commemorating 100 years since the founding of the Ulster Volunteers. What's wrong with that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The flags are being flown in predominantly loyalist East Belfast.

It would be different if they were hung to the lamposts of the Ardoyne, Turf Lodge, Andersonstown or even the City Centre.

It takes some level of deliberate outrage seeking for nationalists to be offended by flags they cannot see from their own neighbourhoods.

I'm not denying that there may be an attempt by some Loyalists to use this as an exercise in provocation, but anyone who feels provoked to the extent that they see the need to retaliate is letting themselves walk into a ready made trap.

Rise above it and it will pass.

Let the loyalists have their parades. After all, its only another demonstration in a long succession of the narrow mindedness displayed by both sides of the divide in The North.

• Advertisement

It looks to me....

How do you think it might look to the relatives of the hundreds of innocent people murdered by the UVF for being born into the 'wrong' religion?

How do you think it might look to the relatives of the hundreds of innocent people murdered by the UVF for being born into the 'wrong' religion?

So there are no reminders of the troubles in the north? No murals glorifying the uvf or the IRA?

So there are no reminders of the troubles in the north? No murals glorifying the uvf or the IRA?

You're answering a question with a question.

You're answering a question with a question.

I thought it was a straight forward answer. The north is littered with symbols, rhetoric and painful memories for people, I cant see this making a huge difference, unless of course you are in Dublin and looking for something to get outraged about.

The north is littered with symbols, rhetoric and painful memories for people...

So you agree that provocative flegs and symbols, flaunted in public, that poke at painful wounds should be 'decommissioned'?

Consistency Fred. Consistency is a good quality.

I think you may find that they are illegal.

Think you will find its not illegal, the police have already said as much last night on the news

So you agree that provocative flegs and symbols, flaunted in public, that poke at painful wounds should be 'decommissioned'?

Consistency Fred. Consistency is a good quality.

Woah, cool the jets. These flags are supposedly there as part of the centenary celebrations, which seems pretty legit to me.

Its the north, if they put up bright pink flags with a daisy on them people would be offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

What would the reaction be to a parade to mark an ira date? Ira flags flying in public in belfast?

These flags are supposedly there as part of the centenary celebrations, which seems pretty legit to me.

Bit of dissonance here, no?
    The north is littered with symbols, rhetoric and painful memories for people

Do you agree that less reminders of painful memories are better? Reminders like, say, UVF flags flying in public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

The murals were drawn in times past and many are of historical interest only now.

Remember 87% of loyalist killings were against Catholic civilians (non paramilitary). The UVF is simply a sectarian paramilitary organisation. The UVF flags are current manifestations of sectarianism in Loyalist culture.
    It is not acceptable, nor should it be legal.
    I thought it was a straight forward answer. The north is littered with symbols, rhetoric and painful memories for people, I cant see this making a huge difference, unless of course you are in Dublin and looking for something to get outraged about.

Removing sectarian flags from perimeters of areas where they are visible to many passing Catholics will presumably make a significant difference to the Catholics they are intended to intimidate?

Making sectarian flags illegal is also important in that it tells citizens that sectarianism is no longer tolerated in society. This will isolate those loyalists who still hold these sectarian views and ultimately (hopefully) contribute to loyalism redefining itself outside of sectarian grounds. We saw evidence of this in the perpetrators of violence over the flags issue being isolated in their own communities.

A few significant reasons for making those flags illegal, none for not doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Woah, cool the jets. These flags are supposedly there as part of the centenary celebrations, which seems pretty legit to me.

Its the north, if they put up bright pink flags with a daisy on them people would be offended.

If Nazi flags were put up in Jerusalem would people be offended? Yes, and rightly so.

That's how Catholics feel about UVF flags in Belfast. Clear? Please supply substantiation for your "pretty legit" centenary celebrations explaining these sectarian symbols. Should IRA flags be flown freely in Belfast to commemorate 1916? Would that be "legit" Fred?

It seems easier to give particular English posters analogies about their own country: it stops the tendency of these individuals of applying different rules for other people than they would tolerate themselves.

T runner wrote: »
    This will isolate those loyalists who still hold these sectarian views and ultimately (hopefully) contribute to loyalism redefining itself outside of sectarian grounds.

As long as Loyalism defines itself by its siege mentality, sectarianism, long-passed triumphalism and long-passed dominance it's doomed. Canny Loyalists know the writing is on the wall (no pun intended) for 'jurassic' Loyalism and have made attempts to accentuate the Ulster Scots aspect of their culture in the hope of making it more accessible.

T runner wrote: »
    If Nazi flags were put up in Jerusalem would people be offended? Yes, and rightly so.

That's how Catholics feel about UVF flags in Belfast. Clear? Please supply substantiation for your "pretty legit" centenary celebrations explaining these sectarian symbols. Should IRA flags be flown freely in Belfast to commemorate 1916? Would that be "legit" Fred?

It seems easier to give particular English posters analogies about their own country: it stops the tendency of these individuals of applying different rules for other people than they would tolerate themselves.

We are often told by republicans to move on, yet they commemorate their own groups at every possible opportunity, selling IRA paraphernalia at major political party conferences for example.

This is simply unionists marking a significant event in their past. Let them do it, make sure the flags are removed on Monday and carry on. It seems pretty simple to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Again another thread about those loyalists and flags, 7 straight nights of riots in London derry and trying to burn protestants out of their homes, more bombs foiled by the "dissidents" and two cars stopped in London derry filled with Republican guns, ammo and bombs but lets not make a thread about any of that, loyalists celebrating the formation of a detachment that fought bravely in ww1 is the thing to be disgusted by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Speaking as a neutral observer I have to ask.; Do Loyalists in NI not consider the flying of the Irish Tricolour as a provocation? I remember, during the troubles, objections being raised in the Republic at what was seen as usurpation of our National flag by the Provos and that it was an insult to our country for the flag to be used at IRA funerals etc. When I travel to NI now, I see the Tricolour flying in prominent places, which are visible over a wide area.
    Is this not seen now as a provocation to Loyalists?
    Personally speaking, while I can understand that deep wounds take a long time to heal, it really should be a case of all or nothing. After the carry on over Christmas, I'd say the authorities will think twice before venturing down the road of removing flags

gallag wrote: »
    Again another thread about those loyalists and flags, 7 straight nights of riots in London derry and trying to burn protestants out of their homes, more bombs foiled by the "dissidents" and two cars stopped in London derry filled with Republican guns, ammo and bombs

Sources?
    celebrating the formation of a detachment that fought bravely in ww1

The UVF didn't fight in WWI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

We are often told by republicans to move on, yet they commemorate their own groups at every possible opportunity, selling IRA paraphernalia at major political party conferences for example.

This is simply unionists marking a significant event in their past. Let them do it, make sure the flags are removed on Monday and carry on. It seems pretty simple to me.

As a Nordy, I firmly believe that all Flags should be taken down. Every single last one of them.

On both sides they are used for one purpose and one purpose only and that is provocation. Every day I drive through a town that flys a UVF flay ostensibly in remembrance of the 'old' UVF but that makes it no less distasteful. I'm sure if Republicans flew a flag with IRA 1916 emblazoned upon it, Unionists would be red with rage and I could understand that. Another flag which is gaining prominence these days is the Parachute Regiment flag, which is downright awful, what exactly should a nationalist think when he sees that?

Also, for all the Loyalists and Republicans who proclaim a love for their respective flags they really have no respect for them at all, these 'much loved' flags stay up until they either fall down or only threads remain flapping in the wind.

Finally, one of the most popular sports in the North here is counting the number of Union flags that fly upside down, unsurprisingly, it's a lot.

One rule for them, one rule for us. Any comment t-runner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I have a comment. I find this as distasteful as these UVF flags, they are two sides of the same coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Gawd - do yis never tire of this whataboutery?

Advertisement