Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunger: Sean Kelly's Autobiography Out 31st May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

My copy has arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    My copy has arrived today.

Ya, got mine this morning as well.

Getting time to read it is the problem now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

I see there's a Belfast signing next week, but still no Dublin appearance. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

BTW Raam - I've finished your copy so you can have it back. Very easy read. I think it took me 11 seconds. I feckin floored it!

I meant to say it to you the other day when you were over to take it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭furiousox

buffalo wrote: »

http://www.chainreactionhub.com/road/1174-join-sean-kelly-at-our-boucher-road-store-for-a-book-signing-and-q-a

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

My favourite line in the book was about him being a man of few words - he once nodded "yes" to a question in a radio interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Just finished it today. Nothing very revealing (as expected!) but a decent read.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Thanks for that, I may pop in, didn't hear a thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭furiousox

Yes, that is the Belfast signing I mentioned...

Yes, yes it is...

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

kencoo wrote: »
    Nearly finished this book. If i was Sk id be looking for my money back on the editing alright.
    Although the man is an Irish hero (i remember the multi climbs of Patricks Hill Cork!) the book is not great IMO. He keeps his cards close to his chest and just reiterates the stats. Compared to other cycling books ive recently read (i.e. Roches/Hamiltons) its not half as entertaining.

Have to say I thought it was great, love the style of delivery which is in keeping with the man himself. Stephen Roches book is equally interesting but the delivery is completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

I like how much he hated Eric Vanderaerdren. Although he seemed to have toned it down from stuff he said in interviews at the time.

From an 1983 interview with David Walsh
    "In the Paris to Nice race earlier this season Vanderaerden was race-leader early on and in a moment of extreme carelessness he caused Kelly to crash. Consequently Kelly dropped from second to ninety~sixth place on general classification and Vanderaerden survived with his leader's jersey still intact. After that stage Kelly made a point of facing up to Vanderaerden. In the plainest of Flemish, he told his Belgian friend that if he (Vanderaerden) had the race lead on the last day that there would be another crash. This time it would be on a descent and it would be Vanderaerden who would suffer.

What if Vanderaerden had brought down Kelly again? “I know what I would have done. I would have got up and gone over to him and I would have broken something, probably his nose. I would not have hesitated for one second, he has got away with too much already and after Paris/Nice I would have had no option."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Have to say I really enjoyed the book. As a relatively young fella and a late comer to cycling it really gave me a good account of why the man is considered a legend. Abs loved the opening chapter, set a great tone for the book

Have to say I really enjoyed the book. As a relatively young fella and a late comer to cycling it really gave me a good account of why the man is considered a legend. Abs loved the opening chapter, set a great tone for the book

By who exactly? He was caught doping twice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Henlars67 wrote: »
    By who exactly? He was caught doping twice.

You seriously think that people don't consider Sean a legend? He's hugely popular here and abroad! If his two positive tests tarnish him for you fair enough, that's your choice, but you can't deny he's considered a legend.

You seriously think that people don't consider Sean a legend? He's hugely popular here and abroad! If his two positive tests tarnish him for you fair enough, that's your choice, but you can't deny he's considered a legend.

And that is why cycling will never shake off its reputation. Even the fans don't really care about doping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

And that is why cycling will never shake off its reputation. Even the fans don't really care about doping.

Not saying you have to believe them but presumably you have at least read his explanations in the book

Not saying you have to believe them but presumably you have at least read his explanations in the book

Ya, was fully aware of his explanations before I ever read his book.

This is a from Willy Voet's (Kelly's soigneur) autobiography
    "Ten days before Paris-Brussels 1984, a race made for him but one curiously he had never won, Kelly fell ill. Bronchitis. He treated himself with ephedrine for a week, an excellent treatment to unblock the lungs but which could be detected in tests. Sean stopped his treatment three days before the race because even if the tests weren't as frequent as today, it wasn't worth taking the risk. At the end of the race, which he finished third behind Eric Vanderaerden and Charly Mottet, the Irishman was called to a test. In his shorts we hid a small container of urine volunteered by one of the mechanics, and he went through the test without problems. For top riders, as we've seen before, it's always easier.
    "Several days later, Kelly received a letter from the international federation saying he had tested positive after Paris-Brussels. The product? Stimul, based on amphetamine. I asked around and the culprit was soon unmasked: to stay awake at the wheel of his van, the forgetful mechanic had perhaps taken a charge!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

By who exactly?

By virtually everyone who's into cycling, I'd have thought. You presumably have issues with more or less any champion in the history of cycling being described as a legend. Fair enough but you don't have to go feigning surprise surely when someone describes one of the accepted all-time greats as Kelly as a legend. Do you give the same response if you see Coppi or Anquetil or whoever described in similar terms somewhere?

Anyone who has doped should never be described as a legend, and while they are cycling will never shed its image.

• Advertisement

I asked if you give the same response if you see Coppi or Anquetil or whoever described in similar terms somewhere and so I take it that is a Yes answer you're giving: that you more or less consider there to be no 'legends' in cycling, and that the entire history of the sport is basically degraded.

pelevin wrote: »
    I asked if you give the same response if you see Coppi or Anquetil or whoever described in similar terms somewhere and so I take it that is a Yes answer you're giving: that you more or less consider there to be no 'legends' in cycling, and that the entire history of the sport is basically degraded.

LeMond would be a legend of cycling. I'd regard Sastre and Evans as heroes, but ya, the vast majority of pro-cycling history is degraded. I don't see how people could think it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

LeMond would be a legend of cycling. I'd regard Sastre and Evans as heroes, but ya, the vast majority of pro-cycling history is degraded. I don't see how people could think it isn't.

That depends on opinion. One mans hero is another mans rogue.

Kelly was a hero of the sport and is recognised as such worldwide.

If supporting any professional sport depends on said sport being totally free from any form of ped's then professional sport would be rarely viewed and only by a miniscule audience.

Why do you think this is not the case, in reality?

ragazzo wrote: »
    That depends on opinion. One mans hero is another mans rogue.

Kelly was a hero of the sport and is recognised as such worldwide.

If supporting any professional sport depends on said sport being totally free from any form of ped's then professional sport would be rarely viewed and only by a miniscule audience.

Why do you think this is not the case, in reality?

Because they provide entertainment, that's why people watch sport, and it's why I watch sport.

I take the vast majority of results with a pinch of salt though.

I'd be pretty sure that cycling is one of the cleaner sports at the moment, and if other sports tested as much as cycling does they'd all have the similar scandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

Kelly = LEGEND. End of.

redmaxi wrote: »
    Kelly = LEGEND. End of.

If 'End of' is the height of your debating capabilities on this subject then your opinion is pretty irrelevant.

Bit bizarre to have even the slightest interest in a sport you consider completely degraded. And pretty bizarre too that LeMond could be one of the best of his era in such a degraded sport. And as for considering all those mentioned as heroes - you seem to be giving huge benefits of the doubt there. Or did they never test positive like yer man Lance used to claim?

Also if Kelly had never tested positive, which could very easily have happened, then presumably you'd be similarly describing him as a legend, and it also seems to me very minor things he tested positive over.

If you want to carry an attitude of absolute purity regarding life - not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with that - professional sport in general & cycling in particular would seem incomprehensible worlds to be concerned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

Short and to the point like the good man himself. There is no debate here. It is a fact. Can't you understand simple english?

redmaxi wrote: »
    Short and to the point like the good man himself. There is no debate here. It is a fact. Can't you understand simple english?

Saying something is a fact doesn't make it so. It's simply your opinion. Mine is different.

• Advertisement

pelevin wrote: »
    Bit bizarre to have even the slightest interest in a sport you consider completely degraded. And pretty bizarre too that LeMond could be one of the best of his era in such a degraded sport. And as for considering all those mentioned as heroes - you seem to be giving huge benefits of the doubt there. Or did they never test positive like yer man Lance used to claim?

I love cycling, been following it all my life, and I still live in hope that one day we won't have to doubt almost every winner, but at the moment we do, and that's because of the history of the sport.

Advertisement