Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunger: Sean Kelly's Autobiography Out 31st May

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RyanAndrew

I ordered it through my local bookshop and got it a couple of days later. You can also order direct from the publisher - peloton publishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

On the topic, the kindle edition of 7 Deadly Sins is only £2.99 at the moment on Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

As a huge Kelly fan am looking forward to getting this. Any word on whether the legend will be doing any signings to promote it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

He is speaking about his book now on the Ray D'Arcy show on Today FM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm remembering now why I don't listen to Ray D'Arcy...he is a bit of a spanner. Sean is being his usual class self though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

furiousox wrote: »
    It's ok, written in a no nonsense matter of fact style..as you'd expect.

I'll second this, Sean doesn't spit in any soup, but it's a decent read.

I couldn't make up my mind for a while whether he was not giving much insight into the mind of Sean Kelly, or if he was giving almost total insight. I'm tending towards the latter, and that what you see is what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I read it at the weekend - very enjoyable. Probably not a huge amount in it that the Kelly fan doesn't already know, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Gave some insights. He is proud of his achievements and I like that. He doesn't dismiss his strength or weaknesses.

Would it have added anything if he had gone into detail about say what PDM was really like - maybe but why bother.

He talks about his friends a lot and enemies in cycling and I thought that that was refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

I see Kelly's doing a signing in Waterford. Anyone know if he's doing one in Dublin, or where I might get news of such a signing? Have a friend who's a big fan, want to try surprise him with an autographed copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm remembering now why I don't listen to Ray D'Arcy...he is a bit of a spanner. Sean is being his usual class self though!

D'Arcy comes across in general as a lightweight smug spanner all right, whatever he thinks he has to be smug about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Kelly was on the latest Second Captains podcast, talks about his book and skirting around the doping issue
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains, someone has already kindly bookmarked when his bit is on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i picked up the book in a bookshop recently, and the dust jacket was devoid of any quotes from reviews; is it strictly one for fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

i picked up the book in a bookshop recently, and the dust jacket was devoid of any quotes from reviews;
    Hardbacks rarely have quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

buffalo wrote: »
    I see Kelly's doing a signing in Waterford. Anyone know if he's doing one in Dublin, or where I might get news of such a signing? Have a friend who's a big fan, want to try surprise him with an autographed copy.

Where and when is he doing the signing in Waterford?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

marvin80 wrote: »
    Where and when is he doing the signing in Waterford?
    Cheers

ah balls. Apologies, I went back to get the details for you and eh, Jimmy Magee is doing the launching of Kelly's book. I just saw the cover, a big 'Eason', and Dungarvan, and assumed the rest. :$

525725_630604680305358_557365412_n.jpg

buffalo wrote: »
    ah balls. Apologies, I went back to get the details for you and eh, Jimmy Magee is doing the launching of Kelly's book. I just saw the cover, a big 'Eason', and Dungarvan, and assumed the rest. :$

Strange one. You'd think they'd have Sean Kelly there for the launch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

Imagine Sean is commenting on the Vuelta e Espna

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

marvin80 wrote: »
    Strange one. You'd think they'd have Sean Kelly there for the launch!!
    Imagine Sean is commenting on the Vuelta e Espna

Since he's in Dungarvan that Saturday and Sunday to lead out the Sean kelly tour of Waterford, I'd be a bit shocked if he didn't pop in to Eason's on the Friday to sign a couple of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

Guybrush T wrote: »
    Since he's in Dungarvan that Saturday and Sunday to lead out the Sean kelly tour of Waterford, I'd be a bit shocked if he didn't pop in to Eason's on the Friday to sign a couple of books.

Last couple of years with contract restraints from Eurosport he's only flown in Saturday lunch time as he's been commentating on the Vuelta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Kelly was on the latest Second Captains podcast, talks about his book and skirting around the doping issue
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains, someone has already kindly bookmarked when his bit is on.
    Good interview and Eoin did to try push him as best as could. Kelly was very inconclusive about his first stimulant positive result. Basically he got caught taking a banned stimulant but tries to cliam his 'B' sample wasn't filled up enough and that somehow is an excuse.

Its sad that more ex-pro's won't come out and admit what we all know has been going on in cycling for decades. In fairness to Kelly he's probably not someone who can given his continued involvement in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

I am assuming/hoping that they will be selling the books at the Sports Centre in Dungarvan at the end of the SFT on Sunday. For the last 2 years Sean has staryed around for an absolute ages getting photos taken and signing autographs. Would be great to be able to grab a copy of the book for signing then also. Otherwise would have to get a copy on Saturday and leave in the car, wherever that may be parked.

• Advertisement

Great pic of Kelly and Jimmy Magee in the Irish Times yesterday of the book signing on friday in Dungarvan.

Anyone know anything about any book signings due in Dublin?

Thanks

Review of his book in yesterday's Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/hunger-the-autobiography-by-sean-kelly-1.1508230

Hunger: The Autobiography, by Sean Kelly

A relentless appetite for victory made the cyclist one of Ireland’s greatest sportsmen

Shane Stokes

image.jpg
    Book Title:
    Hunger: The Autobiography
    ISBN-13:
    978-0956781437
    Author:
    Sean Kelly
    Publisher:
    Peloton Publishing
    Guideline Price:
    €18.99

Given that he retired almost 20 years ago, it may seem surprising that Sean Kelly has only now written his autobiography and got his side of the story out into the open. But, in other respects, it’s not unexpected. Kelly was a man of few words when he competed as a professional cyclist.

<Sherlocked (Seán not Ryan)>

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

In the article it says Co Tipperary rider. ....... think he's Waterford

numorouno wrote: »
    In the article it says Co Tipperary rider. ....... think he's Waterford

Yes, he's from Waterford. Very adamant about that in the book!!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

If I was Kelly I'd be pretty pissed with the publishers of this book..
    I'm about halfway through and I've come accross 4 or 5 glaring grammatical errors, one I read last night if I remember was 'It was clear from early on at Splendor who was the chosen the sprinter'.
    Shoddy editing...

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

Nearly finished this book. If i was Sk id be looking for my money back on the editing alright.
    Although the man is an Irish hero (i remember the multi climbs of Patricks Hill Cork!) the book is not great IMO. He keeps his cards close to his chest and just reiterates the stats. Compared to other cycling books ive recently read (i.e. Roches/Hamiltons) its not half as entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Fender76 wrote: »
    I'm about halfway through and I've come accross 4 or 5 glaring grammatical errors, one I read last night if I remember was 'It was clear from early on at Splendor who was the chosen the sprinter'.
    Shoddy editing...

Maybe they wanted it to read like Kelly talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I won a signed copy in that competition eurosport were running during one of the vuelta stages.

Another poster on here mentioned they won one as well, but I can't remember who or which thread it was in.

Just wondering if they've received it yet, as there is no sign of mine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I won a signed copy in that competition eurosport were running during one of the vuelta stages.

Another poster on here mentioned they won one as well, but I can't remember who or which thread it was in.

Just wondering if they've received it yet, as there is no sign of mine so far.

That was me mate. No sign of mine either :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭furiousox

kencoo wrote: »
    Nearly finished this book. If i was Sk id be looking for my money back on the editing alright.
    Although the man is an Irish hero (i remember the multi climbs of Patricks Hill Cork!) the book is not great IMO. He keeps his cards close to his chest and just reiterates the stats. Compared to other cycling books ive recently read (i.e. Roches/Hamiltons) its not half as entertaining.

Agree.
    As I said before Charly Wegelius book 'domestique' is a much more interesting read, best book on cycling I've read in a long time.
    I just finished Sean Yates book as well and it's a pretty good read.
    He doesn't come across as particularly likeable and there are no shocking revelations but it's an interesting enough read.

CPL 593H

Advertisement