Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'll give that and the title to Melendez, I thought Henderson did a huge amount of running away for a champ in the final round of a razor thin fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I have Melendez 1,2 and 5. I have a feeling Henderson will get it though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That could go anyway, could be a 49-46, 48-47 to either fighter

Wouldn't be surprised to see a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

really have no idea who got it but put a gun to my head
    and ill say bendo
    a draw a possibility

bull****

edit:ah well :pac:

• Advertisement

fook it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

**** off Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Would he have still proposed if he lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

He didn't win that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

what a corn ball

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Champions will always get the edge in a close fight but Melendez should have won. Henderson might be able to win the re-match more convincingly if he stoped playing with his hair every 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Henderson might be able to win the re-match more convincingly if he stoped playing with his hair every 5 seconds.

it must add up to about a minute spent from the entire fight of him just checking his hair, tie it, braid it or cut if off ffs.

very annoying, hard fight to score. knew Bendo would have got the nod

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭seiphil

Had it 48-47 to Henderson. Won rounds 2,3 and 4.1 and 2 to Melendez. Could of went either way though. Would like to see rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Champions will always get the edge in a close fight but Melendez should have won. Henderson might be able to win the re-match more convincingly if he stoped playing with his hair every 5 seconds.

I think thats pretty accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape

Henderson won without doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Title shot is going to the winner of Grant/Maynard. Fairly disappointing, if anyone deserved an immediate rematch it's Melendez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Just reguritated my corn flakes after seeing that octagon proposal!

the UFC is on a bit of a streak with cards delivering of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know its not the whole picture, but i'm really looking for to the fight metric stats for the fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Had rounds 2,3 & 4 to henderson myself.
    Great card overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Very close battle, probably more so than the Edgar fights. I think Bendo just edged it. Melendez didn't do enough to take the title from the champion, so in that case the belt should stay with Henderson.

Very close battle, probably more so than the Edgar fights. I think Bendo just edged it. Melendez didn't do enough to take the title from the champion, so in that case the belt should stay with Henderson.

I'd look at it the other way, in 3 out of 4 title fights now henderson hasnt done enough to conclusively prove he's the best

But should the onus be on him to prove that he's the best or should someone take the belt from him? I know what you mean, but I think the burden lies on the challenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

But should the onus be on him to prove that he's the best or should someone take the belt from him? I know what you mean, but I think the burden lies on the challenger.

I'm not a fan of this way of thinking

"You have to take the belt from the Champion"

No, if you win the fight you become Champion. Each round is scored with a winner and a loser and the criteria are very clear, Striking, Grappling, Aggression & Control. They can't just add in another saying "Oh, and if you're incumbent champ, we'll give you the closer rounds".

If you fight an identical fight against the same opponent and win a close decision first time, should that decision be different second time because you're opponent is now Champion? Absolutely not!

Mellor wrote: »
    I know its not the whole picture, but i'm really looking for to the fight metric stats for the fight

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/04/henderson-vs-melendez-official-ufc.html

MrStuffins wrote: »

No, if you win the fight you become Champion. Each round is scored with a winner and a loser and the criteria are very clear, Striking, Grappling, Aggression & Control. They can't just add in another saying "Oh, and if you're incumbent champ, we'll give you the closer rounds".

If you fight an identical fight against the same opponent and win a close decision first time, should that decision be different second time because you're opponent is now Champion? Absolutely not!

I agree with you completely. Just from looking around the web and seeing people say it was a complete robbery and Melendez should have been the new champ, you would think he 50-45'ed Bendo and the judges still gave it to him.
    It was an incredibly close fight and in my opinion Melendez could have persuaded the judges by simply going for it more, especially in the fifth round when the two of them just exchanged jabs for the last minute.
    If it's anybody's "fault" for Gilbert not getting the decision, it's his. The fight was very close and in order to show the world that he's the best lightweight in the world, as Jake Shields said between rounds, he needed to come at Henderson with a little more than he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

MrStuffins wrote: »

fully agree, if we went with this, Frankie Edgar would still be champ.

Henderson has been pretty fortunate with the decisions. Great fight, i thought Melendez was going to take a beating.

The Mir fight was frustrating, everytime they seperated, Mir could get some shots off and tie up cormier, get reversed and held against the cage!

Matt Brown delivered again, would like to see him have that fight with Hardy now

shows how tight the division is in fairness with so little
    between the tops guys
    I think the one man who might have rose to the top
    is fighting aldo however

• Advertisement

pauldoo wrote: »
    fully agree, if we went with this, Frankie Edgar would still be champ.

Henderson has been pretty fortunate with the decisions. Great fight, i thought Melendez was going to take a beating.

The Mir fight was frustrating, everytime they seperated, Mir could get some shots off and tie up cormier, get reversed and held against the cage!

Matt Brown delivered again, would like to see him have that fight with Hardy now

Hardy may be retiring due to having 'wolf heart',he will make a decision after he gets married.The ufc wanted to send him to a cardioligist but he would'nt go.

Advertisement