Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez

Options
  • 16-04-2013 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭

UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez is on this weekend (20th April). Looks like it could be a good night of scraps. Don't think Melendez will win but would like to see it happen. Would absolutely love if Mir won but very unlikely.

Main Card

Henderson vs Melendez

Mir vs Cormier

Diaz vs Thomson

Brown vs Mein

Carmont vs Larkin

Prelims

Mendes vs Elkins

Nijem vs Jury

Benavidez vs Uyenoyama

Means vs Masvidal

Dillashaw vs Viana

Njokuani vs Bowling

Starks vs Romero

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Henderson to win same way he did against Edgar x2 and Diaz , he's got six fights in a row going the distance and this should too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Jasus, Mendes and Benavidez relegated to prelims despite being both #1 ranked in their divisions, no love for the small guys. Though I suppose it's a televised card rather than a PPV over there and the sub-155ers are perceived as less marketable. I for one will be watching them and TJ Dillashaw with bells on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Jorge Masvidal vs. Tim Means is going to be a scrap and a half. Little bit of info I came across about Tim Means. You may or may not already know that he served a few years behind bars for offences relating to when he was a meth head but what I didn't know was that he lost a couple of his teeth from being hit by a shovel whilst also on meth.

Likewise Thomson vs. Diaz is going to be a striker's dream with some terrific grappling thrown in for good measure.

Great to see Matt "The Immortal" Brown on such a good run. He was impressive against Mike Swick and I think he might get another win here.

Can't see past Henderson getting the win against Melendez.

Cormier vs. Mir is probably the most interesting fight of the night in terms of how Cormier handles his first fight in the octagon and Mir never having lost two in a row. We might also get an insight into whether Cormier decides to move to LHW or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think both Masvidal and Thomson beat Melendez when they fought him, and I also think Henderson lost to Edgar in the 2nd fight so doesn't feel quite that exciting of a main event. Defo reckon it will go to a decision anyway, likely for Henderson.

I like Frank Mir but he's too hot an cold. Can see Cormier finishing him with Gnp ala Brock.

Diaz Thomson is a quality fight, hard to call as well. Just can't wait for it.

Mendes vs Elkins is a great match and should be main card ahead of Carmont Larkin. Featherweight is quickly becoming my favourite division.

I think Masvidal is very underrated, tough as nails and great boxer. Destroyed KJ Noons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Can't wait for main card, looking forward to this.

really want to see DC smash Mir then go down to LHW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Ush1 wrote: »
    Mendes vs Elkins is a great match and should be main card ahead of Carmont Larkin. Featherweight is quickly becoming my favourite division.

No way should it be on the main card. It has too much potential to be a snoozefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tadix

It will be interesting to see how Mir gets on after training in Jackson's. I can see him getting the finish IF he shows up to fight but you never know with Mir.
    I can see Melendez making it a scrappy ,gritty fight and getting the decision for a big upset.
    Diaz and Thompson is a close one but if they end up on the ground near the end of a round i can see Diaz jumping on a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

unknown13 wrote: »
    No way should it be on the main card. It has too much potential to be a snoozefest.

Why's that? Depends on what you would call a snoozefest but Mendes last two fights, both first round tkos and Elkins last fight a first round tko.

Add to that they're both at the very top of the division now and it makes no sense to me.

Carmont and Larkin both coming off decision wins and no where near the top of the middleweight division.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

weemcd wrote: »
    Can't wait for main card, looking forward to this.

really want to see DC smash Mir then go down to LHW

I not sure why everyone wants Comier to go down to LHW. I think he loses A LOT of advantages when dropping down - mainly speed and the ability to close the distance and land those heavy combos.

Hypothetically think of a Machida vs DC match, or even Gus Vs DC and imagine how they might play out.

LHW's with good footwork, ring awareness and TDD who can strike at distance I feel, are a nightmare matchup for him.

I'd like him to stay at heavyweight - and yes he puts away Mir on Saturday, and lets hope he doesn't break his hand doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Agreed.

The Cormier hype train is a bit much IMO. HW is nowhere near as competitive a division as LHW. He'd be way out of his depth at LHW I think. At HW he'll do well. Will he be NO.1 for a long time? Not IMO!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I thought Cormier had health problems before when he dropped LHW?
    something about his liver?
    I think it was mentioned in the build up to his fight versus Barnett
    Think again I might be mixing him up with someone else

PerrinV2 wrote: »

I heard something like that before but I'd guess that was from CUTTING down to 205.

From looking at his build there's no doubt that he could drop considerable body fat and cut a little to get to 205. He seems to carry quite a bit of body fat.

Yep, I believe he had kidney failure trying to cut weight for the Olympics, 202 lbs I think. A quick Google should tell you, I can't check my phone barely does boards without crashing!

He had problems cutting right before the Olympics and missed them as a result. He was America's team captain.

I'm sure with a professional dietitian he could make the cut safely now. He said himself he was too heavy at the Olympics and it was his own fault for rushing it.

I'd love to see him at a lower weight, he would be an absolute handful for almost everyone IMO

I think the Thompson vs Diaz fight could be a barn burner. Both like to press forward throw flurries and have offence grappling, both in totally different styles.

Thompson has had quite an unlucky career, he is a solid top 10 guy if it wasn't for those set backs.

If I'd hazard a wild guess at the outcome, Diaz locks in a sneaky RNC off the back of a scramble, 3rd round.

He had problems cutting right before the Olympics and missed them as a result. He was America's team captain.

I'm sure with a professional dietitian he could make the cut safely now. He said himself he was too heavy at the Olympics and it was his own fault for rushing it.

I'd love to see him at a lower weight, he would be an absolute handful for almost everyone IMO

I haven't watched any of his early fights, just the strikeforce ones. Has he got a Plan B if his striking game isn't getting the better of someone. I know he has a high high level wrestling pedigree, but do you think it translates well into an offensive takedown game, the only takedowns I remember where from the clinch.

vangoz wrote: »
    I haven't watched any of his early fights, just the strikeforce ones. Has he got a Plan B if his striking game isn't getting the better of someone. I know he has a high high level wrestling pedigree, but do you think it translates well into an offensive takedown game, the only takedowns I remember where from the clinch.

Hard to know, due to the quality of his opponents. Any fights I've seen him in have been majority standing with Cormier taking it on the feet quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,138 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When wrestling he was cutting from 238 to 202. Thats a water cut btw, diet wasn't the issue. Absolutely ridiculous cut and not surprising that his body didn't like it.

He absolutely can get to a weight where a cut to 205 is straight forward. Something like 220-225. The question us whether the previous problem did any lasting damage.

Cormier has been speaking about the posibility of moving down to 205 today. he says he's much lighter these days and he could make LHW.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/usa-today-despite-near-tragic-weight-cut-ufcs-daniel-cormier-considering-205

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I think Mir will retire if he loses and I'll have to change my username.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I think Mir will retire if he loses and I'll have to change my username.

:(

Surely that username makes more sense when he does retire

This is a fight of extremes. The UFC's smallest heavyweight verses one of the biggest. The newest UFC HW, verses the HW thats been around the longest.
    Frank Mir is a heavyweight vetern of the sport at this point. He's been in the UFC for 12 years now, and its been a rollercoaster ride for him. At the lowest, a serious motorcycle crash threaten to end everything, at the peak – UFC Heavyweight champion. There's been many different version of Frank Mir in the octagon, but my favourite andin my opinion the most effective by far was the 240lbs Mir who moved with speed and played into his submission game. Mirr is easily the best heavyweight submission fighter. He is responsible for three of the best and most memorable subs in the heavyweight division - His wins over Silvia, Lesnar and Nogueira. If this Mir shows up to the Octagon, he presents problems for any fighter.
    Daniel Cormier is making his UFC Debut, but he shouldn't be a new name to anyone. Winner of the Strikeforce Grand Prix, he has long be touted as one of the few fighters who might make a run at the UFC title. Unfortunately that statement always comes with the disclaimer “as long as Cain isn't champion”. The two are good friends and they won't be fighting any time soon. Personally I'm glad for once, as the lack of title potential at heavyweight is hopefully the push he needs to take a run at 205 where he belongs. He's undersized as a heavyweight, he's gotten away with is because he has the ability, and e probably get away with it again. In Mirs last fight almost a year ago, he looked like he was showing up to collect a paycheck. I've a feeling this is going to be more of the same. He knows he hasn't got a another run at the title in him. He'll show up, try to take Cormier down a few times, fail and give up. Cormier has the ability to hold him off initially, if Mir breaks after that, Cormier will finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mellor wrote: »
    This is a fight of extremes. The UFC's smallest heavyweight verses one of the biggest. The newest UFC HW, verses the HW thats been around the longest.
    Frank Mir is a heavyweight vetern of the sport at this point. He's been in the UFC for 12 years now, and its been a rollercoaster ride for him. At the lowest, a serious motorcycle crash threaten to end everything, at the peak – UFC Heavyweight champion. There's been many different version of Frank Mir in the octagon, but my favourite andin my opinion the most effective by far was the 240lbs Mir who moved with speed and played into his submission game. Mirr is easily the best heavyweight submission fighter. He is responsible for three of the best and most memorable subs in the heavyweight division - His wins over Silvia, Lesnar and Nogueira. If this Mir shows up to the Octagon, he presents problems for any fighter.
    Daniel Cormier is making his UFC Debut, but he shouldn't be a new name to anyone. Winner of the Strikeforce Grand Prix, he has long be touted as one of the few fighters who might make a run at the UFC title. Unfortunately that statement always comes with the disclaimer “as long as Cain isn't champion”. The two are good friends and they won't be fighting any time soon. Personally I'm glad for once, as the lack of title potential at heavyweight is hopefully the push he needs to take a run at 205 where he belongs. He's undersized as a heavyweight, he's gotten away with is because he has the ability, and e probably get away with it again. In Mirs last fight almost a year ago, he looked like he was showing up to collect a paycheck. I've a feeling this is going to be more of the same. He knows he hasn't got a another run at the title in him. He'll show up, try to take Cormier down a few times, fail and give up. Cormier has the ability to hold him off initially, if Mir breaks after that, Cormier will finish.

Who are you and what have you done with BeLikeNutella??? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had to recheck the username alright ;-)

I'm not sure what you are talking about tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Daniel Cormier has called Yoel Romero the best wrestler in MMA. Very excited to see him. Hasn't fought in a long time pity he's 35 but think he's cracking value odds wise tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mir will do his usual "play to my weaknesses" routine and try and outbox Cormier. IMO the only chance Mir has is if Cormier fcuks up and makes a stupid mistake giving Mir an opportunity to catch him in a submission like the Lesnar/Nogueira fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tadix

Just putting it out there but has DC ever rolled with anyone near Mir's level? I mean I know hes wrestled with the best in the world but i have a feeling that the difference in grappling styles might catch him off guard ,especially considering Mir's knack for catching unorthodox submissions.Don't get me wrong Cormier will most likely dominate the whole fight and could break Mir's will, I just think experience will be a factor and I can see Mir jumping on some mad submission and breaking it!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 45 Double decker

I am usually the first to discount Mir. I never really rated him as a top 5 HW, even when the UFC HW division had the worst heavyweights in the world. He's turned his preparation on its head for this fight. He has moved to Jackson's and away from the family. He's in his best physical condition - unlike the bloated version that turned up for the Brock Lesnar fights.
    Mir has always been a cocky, underperformer. Frequently not giving 100% to training camp. This probably is the best physical specimen of Mir we are going to ever see. Unfortunately he's fighting an up and comer who poses a serious threat to Mir on the feet and in the take downs.
    Striking is frequently the area of self-sabotage for Mir. If he tries too much kickboxing with Cormier he will be taken down too easily and will struggle to mount offence from his back in these positions. If Mir fights intelligently, makes the take downs as difficult as possible for DC and gets in awkward positions in the scramble, he can potentially find gaps in DC grappling to find a sub.
    I think we're going to see the best Mir ever, but this fight is DC's to win by decision or Mir to sneak with a Sub.

Advertisement