Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on same sex marriage in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭jjjd

What? Seriously now. You don't see a difference? Jeez. Leave me out of it so. This is obviously some kind of closed discussion.

Night.

Point is lost on you! You see a difference where others don't. Tell me this, if any of your children were gay would you be happy if society treated them as second class citizens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Must've missed this post directed at you as well
    Morag wrote:
    darced wrote:
    Thanks for that,reading over it bar the adoption issue there are very little differences and nothing major.
    Nothing major?

Not being able to bring your civil partner to live here with you or for them to become an Irish citizen is nothing major?

For your family home to not be considered a family home under law, is nothing major?

For your civil partner not to be able to adopt your child as your legal spouse can, giving the child another legal guardian is nothing major?

For that child to be then denied access to the parent who had a hand in raising them as they were not your spouse but only civil partner and not legally family to each other is nothing major?

For your civil partner not to be able get correction to medical records or insurance records when you are incapacitated but you spouse can, is nothing major?

You honestly think that these things which cause upset, stress and denies peoples rights are nothing major?

So if these aren't major things you wouldn't care if the government decided tomorrow that they'd take all those rights away from you too?

Doubt you'd like it very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

It is already legal in many countries.

• Administrators Posts: 53,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That argument is a bit thin.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

People who are against marriage equality make me f***ing crazy.

How, in all seriousness, can you look at someone and tell them they have less rights than the person sitting beside them, simply because they are gay and their neighbour is straight?? How is even possible to argue that any member of society should have less than full civil rights?

My dad is a dinosaur, but even he couldn't argue that a gay person should automatically be denied a chunk of their civil rights. It's incomprehensible to any right-thinking human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Thats the way I roll, being a big fat racist bigotted homophobe and all. Nothing to do with logic, reasoning or anything.

Is it common now to have different things being called the same? Seriously, I don't think I'm being old fashioned or prejudice.

Marriage is what it is. Life is confusing enough. People are tired of having chalk and cheese compared or mixed together. It's not the same thing. They're two different relationships. I'm done here.

Like apples and oranges. One is a fruit, the other isn't, obviously because they're two different things and can't be classed together.

Sterling logic there Phill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

States across the world are allowing same sex marriage and this continues to grow. At one point interracial marriage was illegal in the US.Let's just adjust your quote slightly, 'If there was'nt a difference in the majority of people's eye's then interracial marriage would already be legal,that is the harsh truth. ' Seems just as legitimate doesn't it? Just because prejudice exists doesn't mean that society shouldn't adapt and grow beyond it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That's an idiotic truth to be blunt. We were a country deeply ensnared by the influence of the church and so many progressions like legalising homosexuality in 93 and even divorce in 97 was far behind the curve, it's only now that our social development is changing rapidly, unfortunately it has happened so quick that our government seems to still be influenced by the rulings of the church ,even if we are a secular country were church and state are separate.

It's all these things that have slowed the legalisation of gay marriage and civil marriage was a bridge gap just to try and keep an increasingly vocal majority that all should be equal under law, which should be the right of anyone born here.

The majority of people clearly are in favour of full legalisation of gay marriage so your "harsh truth" doesn't bare any weight at all, change is happening, the only people slowing it down are people like you, who ironically, use that as a means to say the majority of peopel don't care enough.

• Advertisement

You should look at the poll results from this thread to see the support for marriage for everyone. Ireland is ready to give equal rights for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Madam_X wrote: »
    I don't agree that marriage should only be between a man and a woman - if a person wanted to marry their motorbike and got the ok on it, it wouldn't make any difference to me. But if someone believes marriage should just be between a man and a woman, but also believes civil partnership should match marriage exactly in terms of rights/securities, while I don't understand their reasoning, is it really such a terrible opinion to have? Does it automatically make them homophobic?

Yes, it does.

What would you call people who decide that people of a differently coloured skin to them, should have segregated seats on the buses from the rest (for example)? Would you call those people racist?

If you would, why would you? It's the same bus, no inequality. Just different seats.

They do reflect real life. Real people voted on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

jjjd wrote: »
    They do reflect real life. Real people voted on this.

but they don't tend to reflect how a national poll would go.

anyway, I'm in support of it.

"I might not but the same, but that's not important, no freedom 'till we're equal, damn right I support it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The current poll isn't a million miles away from others conducted in real life. The majority of people at the constitutional convention were randomly selected from around the country to get a good cross section of Ireland, and the support for marriage equality was somewhere around 80%, with another wodge of people not being opposed to it, leaving around 5% directly against it. I've looked up the process used to randomly select those people, and it's pretty sound methodology. I'm confident that those results are pretty close to what most of Ireland thinks about the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

How about the Irish Times from a few months back http://www.irishtimes.com/news/75-support-same-sex-marriage-poll-1.1072147. AH might exaggerate the Yes vote but I thought it was a given that the majority of the country seem to support gay marriage going by any recent polls.

SV wrote: »
    but they don't tend to reflect how a national poll would go.

anyway, I'm in support of it.

"I might not but the same, but that's not important, no freedom 'till we're equal, damn right I support it"

But that does not invalidate this poll, which was what the poster was trying to say.

But that does not invalidate this poll, which was what the poster was trying to say.

No, from what I can make out they were trying to say exactly what I said.

That this does not reflect a national poll, you said that Ireland is ready for this, That's not true, the Boards community is ready for this, which is not an accurate representation of how a national poll would go for the whole of Ireland.

• Advertisement

The poster said the poll does not reflect real life, as in the voters who voted in this poll wouldn't vote the same way in a national poll. So this poll does reflect real life, I believe, albeit a Boards community poll. The poster made no reference to a national poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭anitaca

I don't get it. How does this issue make you a second class citizen and not have equal rights? For example, a gay woman and a straight woman can both marry a man (not the same one at the same time) but the gay woman and the straight woman cannot marry a woman. It sounds equal to me.

It would be nice to have the option, though.

The poster said the poll does not reflect real life, as in the voters who voted in this poll wouldn't vote the same way in a national poll. So this poll does reflect real life, I believe, albeit a Boards community poll. The poster made no reference to a national poll.

I'm 99% sure that's what they meant and I'm pretty sure you're aware of the same. Just arguing based on semantics now.
    anitaca wrote: »
    I don't get it. How does this issue make you a second class citizen and not have equal rights? For example, a gay woman and a straight woman can both marry a man (not the same one at the same time) but the gay woman and the straight woman cannot marry a woman. It sounds equal to me.

This..this is a joke..

you're joking..

right?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭anitaca

No.

No.

Ah, just trolling then. Poor attempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It would be nice to have the option, though.

The straight woman can marry who she wants; the gay woman cannot.

Now do you see the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

It's a pity that those who insist upon putting so much energy into opposing something that has no bearing on the lives of anybody, except those who would marry if the law was passed, can't focus their energy on something constructive.

The country is in bits, but frig that, we can't let the gays have their piece of paper, the country would be... in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Ive no problem with gay marriage.
    Look at the mess us so called straight people have made of marraige with our divorce and seperation rates, kids not knowing their fathers unstable homes etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Absolutely in favor.

Don't see why the Gays should get away with it.

In fact they should be made get married. Perverts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

It shouldnt even be up for discussion in my opinion. Of course they should be allowed marry, we need to get past this and start discussing other issues. Its been going on for too long, it makes no sense whatsoever to not allow it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement