Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That's a waste of money that is, so it is.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Translating all official documents into Irish.

A guy I know who works for a Local Authority told me how much the council had spent in translating the Local Area Development Plan into Irish and printing copies of same - can't remember how much, but it wasn't insignificant. After two years, not one of these copies had been requested by a member of the public. They just sit in a storeroom.
    That was just one (admittedly bulky) document in one Local Authority. I'd love to know how much we are spending in total on this madness.
    I suspect if the public knew the figures there'd be uproar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Not spending money is a waste, all the things people here are complaining about I am guilty of, nice cars, new phones, huge tvs, gizmos, holidays etc etc

Money is only technically wasted if you die without exchanging it for goods you want for yourself or your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

gallag wrote: »
    Not spending money is a waste, all the things people here are complaining about I am guilty of, nice cars, new phones, huge tvs, gizmos, holidays etc etc

Money is only technically wasted if you die without exchanging it for goods you want for yourself or your family.
    You're saying that saving money is a waste, and spending it on stuff and tat is more logical.
    Tell that to those poor saps ringing Joe Duffy everyday this week with their tales of woe.
    Saving money gives me a sense of security and freedom to travel where and when I want.
    I'm also not lying awake at night worrying about unpaid bills or debts.
    You can't put a price on that .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

summerskin wrote: »
    I spend a minimum of €10k per year on holidays for my family, and would gladly spend more if I could. Two weeks at a 5 star all inclusive plus long weekends at various spots throughout Europe are fantastic, the most relaxing time of the year and a great time for us to spend together with no distractions.
    I don't understand how people can do without good holidays to be honest.

Now, for a waste of money I'd say getting so drunk you don't remember the night, spending a fortune on gadgets, paying for Sky TV, and buying over priced coffee, especially those Tassimo machines and the likes. Just buy a decent filter machine or even a cafetiere and pay a fraction of the price for a better coffee.

Are you taking the piss? You really want to know why people don't go on "good holidays" that cost 10k? That's half of some peoples net wage.
    As for coffee machines like Tassimo, the answer is convenience. Pop in the capsule and coffee comes out. Takes 10 seconds and you have your coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Cienciano wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss? You really want to know why people don't go on "good holidays" that cost 10k? That's half of some peoples net wage.
    As for coffee machines like Tassimo, the answer is convenience. Pop in the capsule and coffee comes out. Takes 10 seconds and you have your coffee.
    I would imagine that they are taking the piss talking about blowing money on holidays then saying how you could save money buying coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Translating all official documents into Irish.

A guy I know who works for a Local Authority told me how much the council had spent in translating the Local Area Development Plan into Irish and printing copies of same - can't remember how much, but it wasn't insignificant. After two years, not one of these copies had been requested by a member of the public. They just sit in a storeroom.
    That was just one (admittedly bulky) document in one Local Authority. I'd love to know how much we are spending in total on this madness.
    I suspect if the public knew the figures there'd be uproar.

This.
    I project-manage at the company that has the contract for the Dept of justice, all the other govt depts (I think, going by how many they are) and some of the county councils. Let's put it this way - you want a big salary, become an Irish translator. Massive wordcounts coming through our office every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I've also lived in France.

One of my good friends who I shared an apartment with for 6 months is Italian. He would be the last to drink a cup of filter coffee. He also quite liked Costa when he visited Dublin, also Café Nero when we were in London.

But condescending Mr. Traveled-The-World-And-Lets-You-Know is never wrong of course. I actually cringed a little bit from the "son" at the end.

Yeah, I sounded like a real dîck there. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Cienciano wrote: »

Not taking the piss at all. Of course I understand that not everyone can spend a lot on holidays, but I can't understand how people can think(as posted earlier) that holidays are a waste of money. I'd rather spend a large amount on good holidays than lots of small amounts on other things.

As for the coffee, as I said, if you want espresso buy an espresso maker. Works out at a fraction of the cost per cup that a tassimo costs and tastes better.

Advertisement