Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That's a waste of money that is, so it is.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

the oul yellow toilet brush

on topic: organic food and free range eggs. little or no nutritional difference

Organic I don't care about, but free range I do. If I am going to eat it, I like to think it had some quality of existence as opposed to being stuck in an indoor shed having never seen the light of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Holidays. Most people work so hard for their holidays, and then constantly stress themselves out with Ryanair and logistics and getting drunk and damaging their bodies that I wonder if they get anything out of them for what they pay.

Well they probably shouldn't be flying with ryanair. Ever.
    After that I can see how you might feel that way.
    If you hate fun.

Protip junior: a 'holiday' can comprise of activities other than simply getting pissed, if you'd like.
    I Know that might have been a shock to the system, so feel free to have a nice sit down and maybe a sugary cup of tea before you do anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

bnt wrote: »
    I think spending money on "grinds" is also a waste: you shouldn't be paying people to make your kids study. They'll forget it all the day after the exam, anyway ...

Worth every cent if it makes your child happy, secures their college course and hopefully a future well paying job.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

Smoking

ManMade wrote: »
    Worth every cent if it makes your child happy, secures their college course and hopefully a future well paying job.
    and on the first flight out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

What about men buying shoes?

Ive never known a man who has had that many shows. I know plenty of women who do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Paying for our own numerous politicians, hundreds of quangos, numerous embassies abroad etc etc ...all with the associated massive pay bills, perks 'n pensions....when the total population of the whole bloody state is less than that of Greater Manchester. And paying for our own"regulator", Central bank, dept of finance etc when they f***d up on us. Not on themselves, on us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Bottled water (while it's from taps anyway).

I HATE people who say this. Obviously you can get it from a tap but what if you're out and you're thirsty and don't want to drink something fizzy? Hardly have a tap in your pocket.

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    I HATE people who say this. Obviously you can get it from a tap but what if you're out and you're thirsty and don't want to drink something fizzy? Hardly have a tap in your pocket.

You do if you don't mind drinking your own urine.

Alcohol and the drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Gambling, full stop.

I have $1500 in my poker account. I'm playing right now as I'm writing this.

Cordial?

Edit: Fizzy. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

We never had that problem before 1990ish.
    I remember a news reports around that time of some entrepenooor launching the concept of selling bottled water in Ireland......oh how we laughed.
    But then of course, the State craftily removed all our water fonts from the streets, parks and playgrounds and accrued millions taxing the bottled water industry.

I'd vote for the chap who brings back water fonts in out town centres, playgrounds and parks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Condoms. Pull out before your about to come. Or use a tayto packet. Your reusing and saving the environment.

I stopped wearing knickers years ago and saved $$$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Taoiseachs
    ministers
    water rates
    property tax

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Newspapers.

Rent Allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Originally posted by southsiderosie
    wedding-industrial complex
    That made me lol.

Sounds kinda sinister.

Have you ever tried to plan a wedding? It IS sinister! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

• in app purchases on phones and tablets.
    • The milk in the pink cartons - just buy full fat and add a teaspoon of it to a pint of water same thing.
    • Really really posh restaurants where you get a piece of celery, a mushroom some design on the plate in sauce and a slice of steak and huge bill

Rent Allowance

The government paying peoples mortgages or in my case, the féckers extra golf membership and new car :mad:!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

summerskin wrote: »
    I spend a minimum of €10k per year on holidays for my family, and would gladly spend more if I could. Two weeks at a 5 star all inclusive plus long weekends at various spots throughout Europe are fantastic, the most relaxing time of the year and a great time for us to spend together with no distractions.
    I don't understand how people can do without good holidays to be honest.

Now, for a waste of money I'd say getting so drunk you don't remember the night, spending a fortune on gadgets, paying for Sky TV, and buying over priced coffee, especially those Tassimo machines and the likes. Just buy a decent filter machine or even a cafetiere and pay a fraction of the price for a better coffee.

Thinly-veiled "we are considerably richer than you" thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Have you ever tried to plan a wedding? It IS sinister! :mad:

Nope, thank goodness, and not something I'd be too interested in. Seems to me like everyone but the bride and groom have a good day.

I haven't owned or carried a mobile phone in over 5 years.
    I'm still alive.

Nope, thank goodness, and not something I'd be too interested in. Seems to me like everyone but the bride and groom have a good day.

Not in the case of my SIL, she and her husband had a great day. My bítch had me and her mother doing it! She lives in England and was getting married in Ireland. Never bothered with anything until 2 weeks before the wedding and sorting the dress! I swear if I get married, it will be literally signing a piece of legal paper and fúck the rest, I planned one wedding, I am burnt for life, and that was near 2 years ago!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ron jambo

Bride usually does not allways the groom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Expensive toiletries aren't bad! They make you smell so pretty!
    Though I don't buy those ridiculously expensive ones either... Just your average lynx and all...

I'll agree with cars. Yes when you buy a new car you get that whole 'new car' feel and smell and everything and you can personalise it exactly the way you want. But is it really worth 10-20k? For some it is, for me its now. I like finding cheap fun cars that I would never be able to afford when they were new but thanks to depreciation, I can enjoy them for much much less that what they were originally paid for!

Also Apple computers. If you can afford a Mac Pro, then go ahead and bust out your bank balance. But for those who aren't mega wealthy a PC for 1/5th the cost can do all the Mac Pro can do. The rest of the Apple computers aren't even worth spending money on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Pushing people through the courts and into prison for using or distributing a certain organic based banned substance.

It has no impact on consumption.

A complete waste of time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Well they probably shouldn't be flying with ryanair. Ever.
    After that I can see how you might feel that way.
    If you hate fun.

Protip junior: a 'holiday' can comprise of activities other than simply getting pissed, if you'd like.
    I Know that might have been a shock to the system, so feel free to have a nice sit down and maybe a sugary cup of tea before you do anything else.
    I drink like a boss fish, hoor. But I don't go on booze cruises or any other type of drinking holiday.

Some people can't handle it. Their holidays wreck them and they come back and need a holiday. I genuinely think they should be put in a clinic for 2 weeks and brought into a coma and fed all their vitamins and flushed out. The Government might even give a tax relief on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Espresso and filter coffee are a world apart. You mustn't be very into coffee so that's why you think they're a waste.

No, I think they're a waste because idiots pay over the odds for tacky refills of mass branded shît like starbucks and costa in little plastic pots, rather than just buying either a: decent coffee or b: an actual espresso machine.

15 years in France, Italy, NY and London taught me all about good coffee, son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

What do you think is a waste of money that others don't?

Me?

New cars - depreciation is ridiculous. (Check out the bangernomics thread).

Having to get the latest €500 phone and upgrade every year.

Expensive toiletries. Shure it gets washed down the plug hole doesn't it?

Going for a meal pissed - what a waste. Burger or kebab suffices when drunk.

Y'all?
    #mine was gotten brand new; delivered straight from a citroen factory in france but had had no choice in the matter as its under the UKs motability scheme,they only give brand new because of depreciation and likelyhood of breakdowns in older cars,when they get to three years old theyre flogged on in their auctions to get the most money out of them.

#totaly agree on the phone thing,one support staff of mine does that when every new iphone comes out fcuk knows how he gets the money for them in this job,he goes on about them as if each new edition is life changing,theyre bloody mind washed.

#can rarely afford toiletries let alone expensive,though have always found more expensive deodorant is much better than shops own brand cheapo stuff in terms of lastability and no marking on clothes.

#never been pissed or been able to go for a meal so cant comment on that one.

Advertisement