Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That's a waste of money that is, so it is.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

realies wrote: »
    Wedding dress ?

SIL got one, 500, 250 alterations, 230 dry cleaning afterwards, and the coup de gras...... 120 for a box to store it in. I just laughed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Marsden wrote: »
    Designer label clothes, can't understand paying extra for a brand name. Better quality I'd pay extra for but a fookin logo, never.

I'm kinda fussy about footwear. I've a thing for suede runners. Would have no problem dropping €80 on a nice pair of runners if they caught my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I'm kinda fussy about footwear. I've a thing for suede runners. Would have no problem dropping €80 on a nice pair of runners if they caught my eye.
    But would you pay extra for the same suede runner with a logo on it?

Or is suede some sort of brand I've never heard of?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

realies wrote: »
    Wedding dress ?

Wedding dresses.
    Wedding favors.
    Dry rubbery chicken with overcooked vegetables at wedding receptions.
    Wedding receptions in general.
    Wedding invitations.
    Wedding cakes.

So, pretty much everything associated with the wedding-industrial complex.

The one thing I would gladly pay a lot of money for is the photographer - nobody cares about your save the date cards of the napkins with your names on them, but the pictures last forever.

Marsden wrote: »
    But would you pay extra for the same suede runner with a logo on it?

Or is suede some sort of brand I've never heard of?:(

The nice ones are almost always Addidas or Puma. :o

• Advertisement

3D films.

Paying extra money to watch a film while being distracted by having big glasses on your face, which actually seem to darken the image, and make you focus your eyes all weird (which can't possibly be healthy and gives me a headache). All so you can say afterwards "but it looked so REAL!!", when it didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I think lots of things are a waste of money but I wouldn't say it to somebody who chooses to buy them. It's not a waste if you gain pleasure and satisfaction from the purchase. I'm sure others see some of my spending as a waste too.

For me it's most of the trappings of a traditional wedding, alcohol, cigarettes, magazines and newspapers. But if people enjoy spending their money on them then more power to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

The nice ones are almost always Addidas or Puma. :o

Don't go to Seoul or Tokyo - you will shoe-shop your way into bankruptcy!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    SIL got one, 500, 250 alterations, 230 dry cleaning afterwards, and the coup de gras...... 120 for a box to store it in. I just laughed!

HA!! I got mine for less than €28 on ebay. Need to get it altered alright but not a hope I'll be shelling out €250!

€120's a bargain for a box ;-)

Don't go to Seoul or Tokyo - you will shoe-shop your way into bankruptcy!
    Or marry Imelda Markos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Bottled water (while it's from taps anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Holidays. Most people work so hard for their holidays, and then constantly stress themselves out with Ryanair and logistics and getting drunk and damaging their bodies that I wonder if they get anything out of them for what they pay.

You could probably go into hospital and get sedated for 2 weeks and come out far more refreshed.

Maybe some the nurses could wheel you under a sunbed for 15 minutes a day.

You come home glowing like a Sardinian underwear model when you've just spent a fortnight on Saint Dympna's Ward. Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Already been said but yes, prams are totally overpriced and lose money by about 80% when you buy new. We saw a Quinny system in a shop for €1100.
    Bought a year old model on Adverts for €150!!

Any Apple product.

BMW'S and Mercedes cars.

Mens magazines.

Brand Milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I agree with Holidays as a waste of money, but only if you go during "holiday season" when the prices of everything are jacked up.

What's that you say? You have kids in school, so you have to go during "holiday season"? As if parents weren't already exploited e.g. pram prices as above, and also the sheer cost of childcare & education these days. I think spending money on "grinds" is also a waste: you shouldn't be paying people to make your kids study. They'll forget it all the day after the exam, anyway ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

the wedding-industrial complex.

That made me lol.

Sounds kinda sinister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Women buying loads of shoes. My girlfriend has like 87 pairs and still buys more. Cant get my head round it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

bnt wrote: »
    I agree with Holidays as a waste of money, but only if you go during "holiday season" when the prices of everything are jacked up.

What's that you say? You have kids in school, so you have to go during "holiday season"? As if parents weren't already exploited e.g. pram prices as above, and also the sheer cost of childcare & education these days. I think spending money on "grinds" is also a waste: you shouldn't be paying people to make your kids study. They'll forget it all the day after the exam, anyway ...

I spend a minimum of €10k per year on holidays for my family, and would gladly spend more if I could. Two weeks at a 5 star all inclusive plus long weekends at various spots throughout Europe are fantastic, the most relaxing time of the year and a great time for us to spend together with no distractions.
    I don't understand how people can do without good holidays to be honest.

Now, for a waste of money I'd say getting so drunk you don't remember the night, spending a fortune on gadgets, paying for Sky TV, and buying over priced coffee, especially those Tassimo machines and the likes. Just buy a decent filter machine or even a cafetiere and pay a fraction of the price for a better coffee.

Women buying loads of shoes. My girlfriend has like 87 pairs and still buys more. Cant get my head round it.
    What about men buying shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

The Health Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

becost wrote: »
    Toilet paper. I prefer to use socks and throw them in with the washing or if it's a runny one, I relieve myself in the shower.

I use a corkscrew. Then I open a bottle of wine to celebrate my ingenuity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Gambling, full stop.

'Oh but I have a system.'

No, you're pissing your money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Vegetables. Grow your own you imbeciles

Buying cake. Make it you peasants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Petrol and diesel. Sure it's way cheaper to just push the car from a to b. And lighbulbs. I have trained myself to navigate the house in pitch dark. Saves a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

becost wrote: »
    Toilet cleaners. I prefer to use the force of my stream to sandblast the leftovers from from the sides of the bowl.

the oul yellow toilet brush

on topic: organic food and free range eggs. little or no nutritional difference

Benchmarking and increments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Most charities.

TV Licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

on topic: organic food and free range eggs. little or no nutritional difference

Do you think nutrition is the primary concern of those who choose organic? It isn't in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

summerskin wrote: »
    buying over priced coffee, especially those Tassimo machines and the likes. Just buy a decent filter machine or even a cafetiere and pay a fraction of the price for a better coffee.

Espresso and filter coffee are a world apart. You mustn't be very into coffee so that's why you think they're a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Funerals are a waste of money.
    Just donate them ( the corpse ) to science; job done.

Advertisement