Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Makes you proud. Good aul honest Irish Politics.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

It's not like it was Gerry Adams going about trying to sell them. It's not Sinn Féin themselves going round selling the items. Just a few people trying to make some money. What harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Even during her address to the gathering, Toiresa Ferris had to mention she had downloaded that song, got a cheap laugh & a round of applause. Stay classy SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And people are actually voting for these muppets

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I thought we had gotten to a stage where we don't really take Sinn Fein seriously any more.

Let them at it, only making a fool of themselves.
    Images of the recently deceased former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher featured on T-shirts which were for sale at the ard fheis.
    The green screen-printed garments cost €10 and had an image of Baroness Thatcher with the words “Tá gráin agam ar Thatcher fós!”, which translates as “I still hate/loathe Thatcher”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Saab Ed wrote: »
    You gotta ask yourself should anybody, who partakes in this carry on, ever be allowed outside again. The embarrassment of these tramps. These are supporters of a mainstream Irish political party

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/old-style-paraphernalia-for-sale-at-sinn-f%C3%A9in-ard-fheis-1.1359926?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I seem to remember Fianna Fail giving Brian Cowen and Bertie Ahern a standing ovation at their Ard Fheis last year.

I'd find that far more disturbing than anything you've posted here

• Advertisement

RATM wrote: »
    I seem to remember Fianna Fail giving Brian Cowen and Bertie Ahern a standing ovation at their Ard Fheis last year.

I'd find that far more disturbing than anything you've posted here

Lets not forget Míchael Martin's standing ovation for saying "We're sorry" about a hundred times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Prodigious wrote: »
    It's not like it was Gerry Adams going about trying to sell it. Just a few people trying to make some money. What harm?

Oh I know. They certainly know their audience all the same. There's obviously a market for the stuff. Its a very poor reflection on the supporters all the same. Its like sellling KKK shirts in the States. Wouldn't be allowed and neither should this.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

Classy and Sinn Fein in the same sentence?

Maybe they think the proceeds can plug the deficit. Wouldn't be the daftest economic policy to come from that 'political party'.

Oh I know. They certainly know their audience all the same. There's obviously a market for the stuff. Its a very poor reflection on the supporters all the same. Its like sellling KKK shirts in the States. Wouldn't be allowed and neither should this.

No, it's completely and utterly different to selling KKK shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Shamozzle

Do you even lift?

No, it's completely and utterly different to selling KKK shirts.

Celebrating murder, that's why. Fcuking disgusting.

Celebrating murder, that's why. Fcuking disgusting.

So the KKK, an anti black movement who tortured and killed thousands of black people based on their skin colour is the equivalent of a group who fought to resist a harsh oppression from a foreign country?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I thought we had gotten to a stage where we don't really take Sinn Fein seriously any more.

We need to start taking them seriously. They seem to be the only party at the moment providing an alternative to the FF/FG/Labour policies. As people get more and more disillusioned they will turn to SF (frightening as that is).

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We need to start taking them seriously. They seem to be the only party at the moment providing an alternative to the FF/FG/Labour policies. As people get more and more disillusioned they will turn to SF (frightening as that is).

What exactly are these 'policies' of which you speak?

So the KKK, an anti black movement who tortured and killed thousands of black people based on their skin colour is the equivalent of a group who fought to resist a harsh oppression from a foreign country?

You've missed my point. Its not their policies or motives, its the celebration of killing somone. Sorry but that's just wrong no matter what your political views might be .....

You've missed my point. Its not their policies or motives, its the celebration of killing somone. Sorry but that's just wrong no matter what your political views might be .....

Similar to the celebrations of the killing of Bin Laden?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What exactly are these 'policies' of which you speak?

Supporting local dealers ohh I mean businesses
    No body pays tax ever
    big increases for dole scrounging supporters
    Big pensions for the lads in Kildare for there services to the country
    No more EU money as they found alternative sources

Similar to the celebrations of the killing of Bin Laden?

I've never in my life celebrated let alone promoted the fact I'm celebrating someone's death. If people die in war then it happens. Promoting delight in that fact is bizzare behavior in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Classy and Sinn Fein in the same sentence?

Maybe they think the proceeds can plug the deficit. Wouldn't be the daftest economic policy to come from that 'political party'.

Maybe get off your high horse and stop looking down on SF and the people (including myself) who vote for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

You know your life has not turned out very well if you vote Sinn Féin.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

In fairness, they need to start taking themselves seriously first. I can't believe that this stuff was on sale without the knowledge of the party higher-ups, and they should have had enough cop-on to stop them being sold. They want people to take them seriously as a genuine alternative to the established parties, but they forget that people have long memories in this country when it comes to politics. There are still people who won't vote for FF or FG, depending on what side of the fence their family was on in the civil war. So reminders like this of Sinn Féin's more recent past aren't going to attract votes from people who didn't agree with the actions of the IRA but who may be wavering due to the lack of any other alternative to FF/FG/Labour.

Zaph wrote: »
    In fairness, they need to start taking themselves seriously first. I can't believe that this stuff was on sale without the knowledge of the party higher-ups, and they should have had enough cop-on to stop them being sold. They want people to take them seriously as a genuine alternative to the established parties, but they forget that people have long memories in this country when it comes to politics. There are still people who won't vote for FF or FG, depending on what side of the fence their family was on in the civil war. So reminders like this of Sinn Féin's more recent past isn't going to attract votes from people who didn't agree with the actions of the IRA but who may be wavering due to the lack of any other alternative to FF/FG/Labour.

...but that would be a bit dishonest. lets face it.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...but that would be a bit dishonest. lets face it.

Dishonesty in politics. There's a novel approach...

Zaph wrote: »
    Dishonesty in politics. There's a novel approach...

I know. However the fact is that there was an armed struggle. There's no points hiding the t-shirt and the balaclava under the cushion and pretending it didn't happen.

Maybe get off your high horse and stop looking down on SF and the people (including myself) who vote for them.

Do I detect a bit of an inferiority complex? Who said anything about looking down on these clowns.

I don't blame the people who fall for their lies and non existent solutions. Heh just haven't seen through them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If i had of thought of the idea of selling stuff like that to people who will buy it then i'd have been up there like a light.

If i think i can make money i will.

Its a tshirt or a badge, Who gives a ****

I know. However the fact is that there was an armed struggle. There's no points hiding the t-shirt and the balaclava under the cushion and pretending it didn't happen.

I agree, and there are a lot of people who will never vote for SF because of it, myself included. However they are now trying to portray themselves as a legitimate mainstream political party that at some stage could be in government, so at what point do they decide to stop with the sniper signs and other stuff to make themselves more attractive to voters outside their normal demographic?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes there was but it's over and it's time to leave it behind us. If they want to be a real alternative for FG/Labour/FF, they'd want to stop things like this at their meetings, stop saying ****e like this and say something more than simply the two words "wealth tax" every 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I've never in my life celebrated let alone promoted the fact I'm celebrating someone's death. If people die in war then it happens. Promoting delight in that fact is bizzare behavior in my opinion.

Do you think, just maybe, that if you'd lost a loved one in the twin towers you might have had a wee celebratory drink when Bin Laden was assassinated?

Simple question.

Advertisement