Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FIXERUPPER of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Debub wrote: »
    There was a leak and oil dripped on to the belt. My mechanic actually tried putting in brand new belt, but it didn't work - so its got a brand new belt as well. The car is up against a hedge and tightly between 2 cars at the garage so I couldn't get in to take more pics. If you want specific pics let me know - I can go and click a few tomm
    thanks

Weird failure.
    The oil from the head i assume leaked onto the timing belt? Did the belt slip which then caused the issue or the belt simply for wet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

bear1 wrote: »
    Weird failure.
    The oil from the head i assume leaked onto the timing belt? Did the belt slip which then caused the issue or the belt simply for wet?

A fuel or oil leak onto a belt can cause premature failure. I was getting a fuel leak sorted on the missus' Giulietta last week and the mechanic was showing what the diesel did to the belt- it was dissolving through it, the black stuff would come off on your fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

bear1 wrote: »
    Weird failure.

the engine essentially seized in the middle of the road while I was driving to work, if that explains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Good ones are still making €7-10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I wasn't doubting, I just never heard of such a failure.

• Advertisement

Couldnt resist picking this yoke up yesterday for peanuts. Needs an NCT ( brakes and headlights at a minimum i reckon) but is in excellent condition with unmarked black dakota leather interior and only 111K miles. Auto with 2,2 straight Six, all working perfect.

I swapped an 04 307cc for it, but since it is taxed until August, it was for peanuts. A nice little project for the weekend. I'll just smoke around in it until the tax is up if it doesn't sell first.

HYwlmjT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Couldnt resist picking this yoke up yesterday for peanuts. Needs an NCT ( brakes and headlights at a minimum i reckon) but is in excellent condition with unmarked black dakota leather interior and only 111K miles. Auto with 2,2 straight Six, all working perfect.

I swapped an 04 307cc for it, but since it is taxed until August, it was for peanuts. A nice little project for the weekend. I'll just smoke around in it until the tax is up if it doesn't sell first.

HYwlmjT.jpg

Well wear ! The power should definitely bring smiles !

Are the six pots less prone to issues with belts or chains or would there be any potentially expensive problems that can arrive with that engine ?

FGR wrote: »
    Well wear ! The power should definitely bring smiles !

Are the six pots less prone to issues with belts or chains or would there be any potentially expensive problems that can arrive with that engine ?

1650kg is a lot for just 170bhp to haul around, but its grand for what it is.

The m54 is a well regarded, reliable lump. The VANOS can have problems, but if it's made it this far, it'll probably go on indefinitely with appropriate maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

its a decent compromise on that car now, the 2.2 you get the six cylinder engine and its E950. You can justify paying that tax for that car... but not much more. the 2.5 were the sweet spot in my opinion at E1080. but as these cars become near worthless, i would happily pay E950 to drive that around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

1995 Rover 216 Sli, great yoke these with the Honda engine and quick too €300

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/24361739

MTcwNDY5ZDdmODEzMzFmMWQxMTc0MDIwNTYyYmEzNjiBXU_lMVUCAw61wKyHehTjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDMxOTUwNDF8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-renault-vel-satis/24355605

Y2I3NjUzZDQzNTEzNzg4MTViMjYyY2RhMTFjMzI5MTY_lcXkWvCCJ4pxc-kzHXrKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDMxNjQ1NzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

V6 Vel Satis, just out of test, €800

The want is strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-renault-vel-satis/24355605

Y2I3NjUzZDQzNTEzNzg4MTViMjYyY2RhMTFjMzI5MTY_lcXkWvCCJ4pxc-kzHXrKaHR0cDovLzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDMxNjQ1NzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

V6 Vel Satis, just out of test, €800

The want is strong!

Offer him 200

The 520 did fine in the (limited) NCT. Brakes passed, but just barely at 59%. Imbalence on the handbrake was the only issue raised - an easy fix. But otherwise, shocks, steering and emissions were perfect.

I ordered about €250 in parts (oil, filters, plugs, front disks and pads all round). Theres also an oil leak (from the rocker( that needs doing. After that it's just a bit of cosmetic work - fit a missing fig light surround and some paint correction to tidy it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-fiat-panda/24379649

ODllOGI0YmRlZmUxZmRmNTY4ZTg1NjEyMzAxNjI0OGXSadZaKu1JI3avkZONztI4aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDMzNTIwNTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

2010 Panda with 35k km and an "intermittent electrical fault" NCT'd til September, €1100

Could prove a decent fixer upper buy depending on the fault

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Reminds me of the top gear episode with the hearing aid beige multipla

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's fairly sad looking alright, Fiat electrical issues is enough to scare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's fairly sad looking alright, Fiat electrical issues is enough to scare me.

Probably only the power steering - wouldn't scare me- pity I don't need it or I'd be in like a flash.

Probably only the power steering - wouldn't scare me- pity I don't need it or I'd be in like a flash.

Well let me rephrase that.
    Given it’s a bile yellow panda, I wouldn’t be arsed chasing electrical demons when I could buy something better looking that actually works for the same money. :p

Well let me rephrase that.
    Given it’s a bile yellow panda, I wouldn’t be arsed chasing electrical demons when I could buy something better looking that actually works for the same money. :p

Yeah, the fuxerupper thread is the place to be to vent your spleen on cars that dont "actually work"

Yeah, the fuxerupper thread is the place to be to vent your spleen on cars that dont "actually work"

Don't take it out of context, I only buy cars that need work, I've honestly never bought a car with tax and NCT where nothing needed to be fixed.
    I'm just saying that an ugly Panda with electrical issues is hardly the holy grail of fixeruppers and I am wholly entitled to that opinion.

• Advertisement

Don't take it out of context, I only buy cars that need work, I've honestly never bought a car with tax and NCT where nothing needed to be fixed.
    I'm just saying that an ugly Panda with electrical issues is hardly the holy grail of fixeruppers and I am wholly entitled to that opinion.

I didn't think we were looking for the holy grail!

I bought a similar car 4 years ago with similar intermittent electrical issues that were sorted by simply fitting the correct battery for the car, and a clean new earth strap. It's been fine since - just NCT'ed it there in January until March 2021.

It’s €2500 all day long IMO with the issue sorted. Great opportunity for someone to turn a few quid on it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t think the colour is bad. The photos make it look lighter than it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I'm very tempted. I miss my old 93 Aero so much.

http://www.adverts.ie/19886820

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Would you pay €2k for that? It'd be worth the risk for €1k.

Risky! Scuff aside, the bumper looks a bit wonky. And I’m guessing the bonnet is open in the first pic and he’s not trying to pass off that panel gap as normal

Inshiite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Risky! Scuff aside, the bumper looks a bit wonky. And I’m guessing the bonnet is open in the first pic and he’s not trying to pass off that panel gap as normal

Id say that panel gap is that bad on that car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Could be a costly fixerupper BMW1 series. Not much info.

ODk4MTU1Zjg1ZGQyZjEyYmNlYWZjZWNlODI4NjBlZTJfzLDirfW4h7zJ9ZkZepnwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDQxMjQzOTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/not-running/24466539

Advertisement