Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

FIXERUPPER of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v50/19364132

Emissions....
    How hard could it be to sort ?
    Drop of dipethane or miller's and bobs your uncle.... (?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

jharr100 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-v50/19364132

Emissions....
    How hard could it be to sort ?
    Drop of dipethane or miller's and bobs your uncle.... (?!)

Unless there's a set of rings in that bottle of dipethane , you'd be nowhere near passing with that 1.8 Ford engine .

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nice fixerupper Civic diesel Type S GT.

Tax is €280. As long as it doesn’t need a clutch it would make a great project

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-type-s-diesel-2000/21078316

Saab Aero

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-aeoro-2-0t/20745780

Looks like a nice little project for someone ... lovely reg too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Nice car, think he needs to loose one of the 9's from the price though? Sure you'd get a working one for near that would you?

• Advertisement

Nice car, think he needs to loose one of the 9's from the price though? Sure you'd get a working one for near that would you?

You would , is the Aero spec a bit more desirable?

Octavia Elegance TDI 110 with a smidgen of test left. Has to be worth saving

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/one-owner-full-history-nct-test-diesel-octavia/21441556

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-almera-2003-nct-failed-please-see-report/21858073

Y2MzNmZhZGE5MzkyZWRkMDc4ZTY0NzNiMTQ4YmZmYjTJ0Cwu55vUQ6_Qh9o8WsfDaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ0NjYxNzh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

YTQ1ZWIxZmY1OTk5YTM0YzBiOTNjYmUzN2FkODNiNjhkaOZhlXg6Eqpj4-QtG9wQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjQ0NjYxODB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Looking for €350, low mileage, emission figures very decent, they're hardly expensive fixes.

Will need a full retest but it'll hardly have deteriorated much in 2 months.

I wouldn't take that for free, with a new test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I refer you to post #1.
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    This thread is for the cars that have been creeping into the Bangernomics thread recently. Basically anything that has a short or no NCT, or looks like a clean well maintained example for cheap with no test.

Basically anything that could be put right for little money and become a daily driver.

A 16 year old almera with a failed nct does not fit that bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

If your doing the work yourself then fine: 2 new calipers, probably discs too, pads f+r, 2 track rod ends and an alignment will probably run you about 250 euro and an afternoons work. But offer no more than 200 for the car. Its not worth much more than all that with an nct.

If you are paying someone to do it, then I wouldn't bother.

mullingar wrote: »

A 16 year old almera with a failed nct does not fit that bill

An objective view would suggest that it fits the bill perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

To be honest the car itself is only really worth about 350 with a fresh test. Its an old example of a rubbish car

If your doing the work yourself then fine: 2 new calipers, probably discs too, pads f+r, 2 track rod ends and an alignment will probably run you about 250 euro and an afternoons work. But offer no more than 200 for the car. Its not worth much more than all that with an nct.

They’re drums on the back too!

An objective view would suggest that it fits the bill perfectly.

Objective me hole.

It's a steaming ball of dirt for €350. A 16 year old Almera with knackered brakes, carrying an NCT fail sheet. It's barely worth the effort to cut it in 3 and shove it in the back of a Canter bound for a rusty barge to Africa.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Objective me hole.

You are clearly struggling to understand the meaning of the term "objective", but i dont disagree with your suggestion: in fact i think you could improve it:

Cut the car in 3, stick it up your own hole and put yourself on that rusty Canter bound for Africa.

When you get there, buy a dictionary!

You are clearly struggling to understand the meaning of the term "objective", but i dont disagree with your suggestion: in fact i think you could improve it:

Cut the car in 3, stick it up your own hole and put yourself on that rusty Canter bound for Africa.

When you get there, buy a dictionary!

The car is worth about the asking price, if it had no mechanical faults. That *is* its objective value, to begin with.

A pair of trackrod ends, tracking, an offside caliper, a set of disks and pads, fitting kit, brake fluid change, test it again and without a doubt an oil and filter change will have you ‘in’ for €650-700, doing it yourself.

Are you telling me a 16 year old, difficult to insure, poorly maintained Almera is worth that, objectively?

It is in its hole worth that. Subjectively, *you* might think so but in that case, let me tell you about this bridge I have for sale..

The car is worth about the asking price, if it had no mechanical faults. That *is* its objective value, to begin with.

Which is what both I and duke said in the first place - the economics are marginal at best.

A pair of trackrod ends, tracking, an offside caliper, a set of disks and pads, fitting kit, brake fluid change, test it again and without a doubt an oil and filter change will have you ‘in’ for €650-700, doing it yourself.

You are talking through your hole now.

Are you telling me a 16 year old, difficult to insure, poorly maintained Almera is worth that, objectively?

I think i made it pretty clear in my post that a legal Almera is worth no more than 400-450. Duke suggested a bit less.

It is in its hole worth that. Subjectively, *you* might think so but in that case, let me tell you about this bridge I have for sale..

I think you are making up your own arguments there - nobody suggested it was worth anything more than it is.It was simply a poster asking an honest question about the possibility of fixing a car he saw advertised in Donedeal. And we gave him a straight answer.

You , on the other hand, went off on a rant about having the car cut in 3, sourcing a Mitsubishi Canter to transport the thing to the nearest port, and arranging shipping to Africa.

Thats not really helpful to the guy posting the question.

Which is what both I and duke said in the first place - the economics are marginal at best.

At best. Wishful thinking for sure.
    You are talking through your hole now.

If you think that Almera will be bought, sorted and tested for less than €600-700, you shouldn't give anyone advice when it comes to buying a fixerupper. That car is not worth spending time and money on it, objectively. Even subjectively, it's an Almera, FFS.
    I think i made it pretty clear in my post that a legal Almera is worth no more than 400-450. Duke suggested a bit less.

You didn't. Not at all. Read what you wrote.
    I think you are making up your own arguments there - nobody suggested it was worth anything more than it is.It was simply a poster asking an honest question about the possibility of fixing a car he saw advertised in Donedeal. And we gave him a straight answer.

You argued that Mullingar didn't understand the difference between objective and subjective, then applied your own ridiculous subjective arguments. You think you gave a straight answer. Your answer is not particularly correct and it's definitely not good advice.
    You , on the other hand, went off on a rant about having the car cut in 3, sourcing a Mitsubishi Canter to transport the thing to the nearest port, and arranging shipping to Africa.

Rant? Sourcing a canter? Transport to a port? Arranging shipping?

Yeah, that's what I did alright. :rolleyes: Don't be silly. And stop exaggerating or trying to twist some humour into something else.
    Thats not really helpful to the guy posting the question.

He threw in a car to a list, someone pointed out that it's not worth the effort, you argued with that poster and failed to make any reasoned argument otherwise. Because you can't. Because no objective argument will stand in favour of buying that Almera and spending time and money on it. That's the straight answer you're failing to understand.

It's a 16 year old poorly maintained Almera with dodgy brakes and steering components, needing parts, tracking, a service and an NCT test. It's not worth it. It's worth its weight in scrap, that's all. Anyone who's ever fixed up old bangers knows that to be true. Your inability to accept that as sound advice is your own problem.

Don't buy that Almera. It's a ball of sheite.

Rant? Sourcing a canter? Transport to a port? Arranging shipping?

Yeah, that's what I did alright. :rolleyes: Don't be silly. And stop exaggerating or trying to twist some humour into something else.

What you said yourself:
    It's a steaming ball of dirt for €350. A 16 year old Almera with knackered brakes, carrying an NCT fail sheet. It's barely worth the effort to cut it in 3 and shove it in the back of a Canter bound for a rusty barge to Africa.

Your problems with comprehension are compounded by failing memory. Oh dear.

He threw in a car to a list, someone pointed out that it's not worth the effort, you argued with that poster and failed to make any reasoned argument otherwise

1. I countered the point that it didnt belong in a fixerupper thread. It obviously does. Its what this thread is about. You may not like the car, or the economics may not stack up, but that does not bar it from being in the thread.

2. Reasoned argument? Read my post again - i said that if you get it for 200 euro, and spend no more than that again, you could get it on the road. That was it. Anything else you read into that post is your own psychosis working overtime.

3. I haven't advocated for that car in any way - I think i made it clear that it was barely worth 'fixed' what was being looked for it. To quote:
    Its not worth much more than all that with an nct.

Now, troll away about Almeras being "sheit" or sterilizing people on welfare or whatever you normally occupy your time with because I'm done with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

At least now I know why nobody was interested in the Almera I posted in the sub€500 thread.

"3 small holes", a polite way of saying it's rotten.

Nice car, reckon it'd need to be closer to €1k to be appetising.

I think they have taken a decent jump in value the last year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

colm_mcm wrote: »

I remember when you couldn’t get one for less than 10k! Highly desirable amongst females at one point...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I remember when you couldn’t get one for less than 10k! Highly desirable amongst females at one point...

My parents bought two for 18k years ago, as advertisements..

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - Apologies if this is not the appropriate place (please remove if not). My car has died (engine gone), its a Subaru Legacy 2005. I am not sure what to do with it, have put it on DD for now.
    Thanks
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-engine-gone/24214309

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - Apologies if this is not the appropriate place (please remove if not). My car has died (engine gone), its a Subaru Legacy 2005. I am not sure what to do with it, have put it on DD for now.
    Thanks

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...-gone/24214309

your link is not working

mothoin wrote: »
    your link is not working

sorry - fixed now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

You aren't giving enough info.
    What happened to the engine?
    I'd take more pictures as well.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    You aren't giving enough info.
    What happened to the engine?
    I'd take more pictures as well.

There was a leak and oil dripped on to the belt. My mechanic actually tried putting in brand new belt, but it didn't work - so its got a brand new belt as well. The car is up against a hedge and tightly between 2 cars at the garage so I couldn't get in to take more pics. If you want specific pics let me know - I can go and click a few tomm
    thanks

Advertisement