Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sectarian attack in the UK

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Couple of Years back was at a family wedding on the outskirts of Glasgow, no bother, I was born in Scotland of Irish/Scots parentage. Have lived and worked there, both in Glasgow & Edinburgh. The wedding reception was in a private venue and I was outside having a smoke with my Husband when, very obviously, one of the wedding party (He had a buttonhole) asked us 'Whit side are ye wi!! I offered that I was a cousin of the groom and what a lovely wedding...and then it started...Such abusive vitriol I have seldom experienced and I have managed a few hospitality locations in my time. It seemed to centre around Northern Ireland and the peace process, Celtic & Rangers and culminated in 'WE WILL RISE AGAIN'.

The guy was in his late 20's, and I would safely say what he knew about the peace process and Ireland could be written on the back of a postage stamp. We very quickly got out of there when we realised just how offensive he found us and stayed away from the smoking area. He was starting to pull a crowd!

Late on in the evening we chanced another cigarette only to see him getting in a taxi some distance away. He spotted us and made a fairly aggressive hand gesture and repeated his mantra at some volume! Not a lot scares me but, he did!! Husband was a bit shaken too and the odd thing about it all was he knew he was at a 'mixed' wedding, we all did!! I think it was the Irish accents that tipped him over the edge, everyone else on the Groom's side wish Irish Catholic too but their accents were probably more palatable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Where has all of this anti-Scottish hatred come from all of a sudden? Has it always existed under the surface, waiting for an incident like this to bring it forth? Or do some people just want to get into a big argument on a boring Sunday and get to wave their "I'm an angry young man so I'll say really racist nonsense!" flag?
    Call it what you want,a lot of folks here are giving anecdotal evidence of their meetings with Scots. At least puts paid to the whole "Celtic Cousins" Bovine Slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I gave up reading at page 6 but as an irish man who's lived in scotland for over 10 years i just wanna say this, the vast majority of scots love the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

Auldloon wrote: »
    I gave up reading at page 6 but as an irish man who's lived in scotland for over 10 years i just wanna say this, the vast majority of scots love the Irish.

I can believe it. My experience in Scotland and beyond is as such.

Shame about the few wrong 'uns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

crockholm wrote: »
    Call it what you want,a lot of folks here are giving anecdotal evidence of their meetings with Scots. At least puts paid to the whole "Celtic Cousins" Bovine Slurry.

And that's the problem: all we have to go on is a few people's anecdotal evidence. And the problem with that is that people tend to only form anecdotes from extreme situations. Someone might tell of the time he received racist abuse from a Scottish person, but not of the hundreds of times he had encounters with Scottish people when nothing out of the ordinary happened. You can see how this skews things.
    And one doesn't have to either hate the Scots or believe we're best buddies with them. Very few people I know hold either view. They've a similar culture to ours, in the same way that we've a similar culture to the whole of Britain, but being Scottish here is not a big deal for most people, just as for most Scottish people, being Irish isn't remarkable.

For the record, I'll give my anecdotal evidence of my experiences with the dreaded Jocks. I lived among them for about a year, and the only times my nationality came up where when people, usually English, said how they liked Irish culture or my accent, or told of their time in Ireland.
    I witnessed two Orange Order parades during my time there, which few people were interested in.
    For most people I knew there, my nationality wasn't an issue, and not something those who knew me considered to define me.
    I suppose we just had more interesting things to talk about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe the OP would like to edit the thread title (double click it) with "Scottish Doorman Attacked Me and Boards.ie Needs to Know"
    But if it was an English person posting about how they received the same treatment from Irish people simply due to being English, you'd be all... ****ing... over it.

Nasty incident OP - pity about the arsey responses you're getting (just for the sake of being unsympathetic). Your post wasn't ranty and self righteous, you wrote it in a very measured manner. Maybe posting about stuff like that here isn't really advisable or constructive, but then again people often just share stuff on AH.
    It isn't anything at all to do with shock at the Irish "not being universally loved" or similar such bollocks, it's two men imitating bouncers, prohibiting a man from entering a venue due to his nationality, and then resorting to physical force on him. People are just dumbing it down for the sake of it, they know it was atrocious. If it was similar treatment of any other nationality, there wouldn't be half as much dismissiveness, but apparently we Irish need to get over anti Irishness (according to some Irish people).
    Wasn't a good idea to keep going back to them, but no point in saying that now - you did it. I can understand sheer frustration and bewilderment causing you to do so though.

Of course that crap isn't representative of Scotland though, but there are such incidents based on political/historical grievances relating to Ulster.

Lol at whoever said Scotland is a kip of a country btw...

Good on you!!!

My own experience with the trannies would not be as good as yours, of all the Europeans, I would honestly actively discriminate against Scots and Austrians,don't want much to do with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Where has all of this anti-Scottish hatred come from all of a sudden? Has it always existed under the surface, waiting for an incident like this to bring it forth? Or do some people just want to get into a big argument on a boring Sunday and get to wave their "I'm an angry young man so I'll say really racist nonsense!" flag?

As opposed to the surprisingly numerous posters here who honestly feel a need to play Devil's Advocate for a couple of Bar-fly scumbags?

I honestly don't know what frustrates me more: the amount of generalizations being made on this thread about Scottish people and Scotland in general, or the amount of posters here who honestly don't see a problem with a Club refusing service to a Patron based solely on their Nationality.

Apparently after explaining the entire situation, the only real detail posters here seem to have focused on is the fact that the OP asked why he was refused service - which according to Boardsies is considered to be really overstepping the boundaries.

Not the response he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Madam_X wrote: »
    But if it was an English person posting about how they received the same treatment from Irish people simply due to being English, you'd be all... ****ing... over it.

I have never and would never be arsed to vent my reaction to a personal incident that I might find "sectarian" in public. Apart from this reply to your attack on me which some might consider just that. ;)

I have no idea why you have it in for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

mike65 wrote: »
    I have never and would never be arsed to vent my reaction to a personal incident that I might find "sectarian" apart from this reply to your attack on me which some might consider just that. ;)
    Well "some" would be idiots. Similar treatment of English people by Irish people based on the mere fact that they're English would obviously be equally atrocious - and it's a surefire bet you wouldn't be snidely dismissing the OP the way you did on this thread.
    Double standards is all I'm referring to.

I don't have anything in for you personally, I just sometimes get a "The Irish are so inferior and backwards, and I'm so superior" vibe off some of your posts, which you can't blame anyone for objecting to.

• Advertisement

As opposed to the surprisingly numerous posters here who honestly feel a need to play Devil's Advocate for a couple of Bar-fly scumbags?

I honestly don't know what frustrates me more: the amount of generalizations being made on this thread about Scottish people and Scotland in general, or the amount of posters here who honestly don't see a problem with a Club refusing service to a Patron based solely on their Nationality.

Apparently after explaining the entire situation, the only real detail posters here seem to have focused on is the fact that the OP asked why he was refused service - which according to Boardsies is considered to be really overstepping the boundaries.

Not the response he got.

Who's been playing devil's advocate for them!? The club didn't refuse him entry by the way, it was two scumbags far from the door of the club the OP mistook for bouncers.
    The reason people aren't focussing on more details is because the OP hasn't returned to the thread for a long while, and it's evolved into a "discussion" about racism and sectarianism in Scotland. I also think the most logical pieces of advice were given to the OP very early on: go to the police; go the hospital; forget about it and move on.
    I don't think there's much more that needs to be said about it, especially in the OP's absence.
    Good on you!!!

My own experience with the trannies would not be as good as yours, of all the Europeans, I would honestly actively discriminate against Scots and Austrians,don't want much to do with either.

Good luck with the old racism there. All 13.7 million people of Scotland and Austria are surely evil and deserving of discrimination. Sure Adolf Hitler was Austrian, and probably a Rangers fan to boot! They don't call them The Hun for nothing. No smoke without fire...

Thank you, your support means so much to me, especially as a caucasian anti-white racist.

However I will try to see your reason,and whereas before,I didn't like salmon,I will now entrust myself to eat 13.7 million of them just to make sure i'm not racist towards salmon (salmo faro faro)

Thank you, your support means so much to me, especially as a caucasian anti-white racist.

However I will try to see your reason,and whereas before,I didn't like salmon,I will now entrust myself to eat 13.7 million of them just to make sure i'm not racist towards salmon (salmo faro faro)

It's people who talk absolute sh*te like this, lacking the courage of their convictions, and terrified of being criticised for their prejudices, instead spouting tired clichés and wilfully misrepresenting anyone with the temerity to have a mildly developed thought in their head, that are the reason I don't post too often here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pixiel

Think you should report this to the cops as soon as. There are street cameras all around this area (South Bridge is the road the place is located & Hunters Square - this is across the road). Hunters Square is renowned for neds drinking late into the night and are regularly watched by the cops!
    Whatever about these guys motives, been attacked should never be tolerated! The quicker you act, the better the detail you can provide! Good luck.

Wouldnt tarnish Edinburgh just because of this isolated incident! I lived there for over 5 years and unfortunately the whole Celtic / Rangers thing is very much an issue for a few! They seem to associate irish with Celtic etc!
    Edinburgh itself is a lovely city and I think you were fairly unlucky! Hope these guys get caught and reprimanded!

It's people who talk absolute sh*te like this, lacking the courage of their convictions, and terrified of being criticised for their prejudices, instead spouting tired clichés and wilfully misrepresenting anyone with the temerity to have a mildly developed thought in their head, that are the reason I don't post too often here anymore.

TO HELL WITH THE SWEATY SOCK.In capitals for emphasis.I do like your flowery prose ,also "why is everyone but me foolish" would have been a much quicker way to write your last piece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I think we'd be as well calling it quits here.

The OP hasn't returned, plus the trolls are alive and boring the arse of us.

If the OP hasn't gone to the police then we can all sit here and waste time. On second thoughts I'd rather not.

TO HELL WITH THE SWEATY SOCK.In capitals for emphasis.I do like your flowery prose ,also "why is everyone but me foolish" would have been a much quicker way to write your last piece

That would be unfair on the many people who aren't racist. Don't lump yourself in with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

That's discrimination against Salmo salar!

The **** is going on here anyway? Yeah Scotland has a problem with anti-Irishness but its nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be.
    I'll agree it goes a bit further than your average scumbag but we're not unwelcome and they're not a country of bigots.
    Their society is at least working on the sectarian problem.

I know my Scottish girlfriend likes a bit of Irish sausage and will gladly deep fry my mars bar.

Great country highly recommend it. We're more welcome than you might think.
    Now if you excuse me my girlfriends away to batter me sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

you got a gf you say?

That would be unfair on the many people who aren't racist. Don't lump yourself in with them.

Again with the superiority, there was a great racist lost in you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Not the response he got.

I think you need ro read the OP again.

A little more carefully this time.
    I laughed a wee bit there. "Caledonian Congo" :pac:

Has the OP contacted the police I wonder?

The probably banged him up for wasting police time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

summerskin wrote: »
    OP should try being an Englishman wanting a pint in parts of Dublin, Limerick or Miltown Malbay. I've had trouble in all three of those just for having ordered My pint with an English accent.

....And you're probably called Seamus O'Malley, with Irish parents and an Irish passport ! I wouldn't worry what village idiots like those think, they'd be the same if you had a Nordie or a Cork accent such is their mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good God of almighty and Wow, just Wow.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement