Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sectarian attack in the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭doubleyoubee

It must have been Burns night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

"Sectarian attack in Scotland", not "the UK". I wouldn't label all of the UK with the same brush. I frequently visit England and to a lesser extent Wales. I've never received any hostility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Go into your local cop shop this morning and report it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

At this point I went to leave the street, and realised that the two men were not bouncers. The bouncers were about 25m away.......
    Well I've had a few drinks myself........

That explains that then.
    Fair enough, not too sure of the correct terminology on this.......

So just throw in the word sectarian because it sounds good, even if you don't know what it means.
    Of course you should report it to the police, nothing magical is going to happen if you dont.....

Nothing would happen if he did report it either. Magical or otherwise.

Another complaint by a drunk about being refused entry to a nightclub by bouncers who weren't bouncers at all.

Yep - The cops love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe the OP would like to edit the thread title (double click it) with "Scottish Doorman Attacked Me and Boards.ie Needs to Know"

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe the OP would like to edit the thread title (double click it) with "Scottish Doorman (who wasn't a doorman at all at all) Attacked Me and Boards.ie Needs to Know"

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

So OP was asking two men could he enter their house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

OP you just encountered two thuggish bullyboys in which you can encounter anywhere, next time be more aware of your surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

fryup wrote: »
    but how did he know you were from ireland?? maybe he's just hostile towards tourists in general

Apart from that hilarious old man, I just found conversations dried up with obvious distaste with some when they found out where I was from. Kip of a country too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I'm still wondering...why did you go to the atm and then back to the club, as if they'd magically let you in if you have more money in your pockets?

And, as was suggested here before, it's surely not the brightest idea to argue with two people when you are as drunk as them and on your own, about something that defies all logic.

They were behaving like assholes alright (and in the first place), but you weren't innocent in the situation escalating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bohsboy wrote: »
    Apart from that hilarious old man, I just found conversations dried up with obvious distaste with some when they found out where I was from. Kip of a country too.

no it isn't

The two fellas were nasty pieces of work OP and you were lucky the cigarette wasn't stubbed out in you eyeball. Why on earth did you go back for more insults?

That's like coming across a live, exposed, electrical wire and edging nearer and nearer until 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzz', you get too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You have to be careful in urban Scotland. There's serious sectarianism and just out & out xenophobia against anyone with an Irish or English accent.

There are very large numbers of attacks on English people too.

It's a nice country in many respects and most Scottish people are absolutely friendly and welcoming but it has a deep problem with this kind of thing. It's predominantly just low life thugs who do this but, they're fairly prominent in urban areas on nights out.

You'll find a lot of scots have a deep affinity with Ireland too. You're more likely to get on really well with most people.

The bigger cities (especially Glasgow) just have a bit if a dog rough element. Kinda like Dublin but with a bit of extra xenophobia added to the random violence.

You should probably pick a better nightclub !

Definitely report it to the police, it's quite likely illegal to refuse every on grounds of nationality and the police would definitely follow up the assault you're describing (as would the Gardai)

You have to actually make a complaint though to get the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

You did the right thing coming here op. We'll sort it out for you. Avengers Assemble!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lived here almost 4 yrs an never had any hassle. Which club was this by the way, in and full you're better off not going in anyway.

Ah so it wasn't bouncers!!

Solair wrote: »

Definitely report it to the police, it's quite likely illegal to refuse entry on grounds of nationality.....
    You have to actually make a complaint though to get the ball rolling.

Eh
    Hi guys,

At this point I went to leave the street, and realised that the two men were not bouncers. The bouncers were about 25m away and stood at another door which entered into the club in question, and allowed me entry, but refused to deal with the attacker despite seeing the offence (which is fair enough, its not their job).

The police would probably tell him to fuk off.

And rightly so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Personally I've never had a problem in Scotland - Edinburgh is a beautiful city but then again I've tended to avoid Glasgow which is known for sectarianism and thuggery.

And oddly enough the worst anti-Irish sectarianism from a Scottish person I've ever encountered was from a drunk, dog rough Glaswegian woman in Holland of all places, and even then I was able to argue to her that she shouldn't diss what she didn't obviously have a clue about. A lot of this crap is borne out of ignorance IMO.

No offence OP but I have a feeling there's a bit more to this than you're telling us. You must have been pretty inebriated to have gone back to confront those scumbags repeatedly.

Report it to the cops.

Lapin wrote: »
    Eh

The police would probably tell him to fuk off.

And rightly so.

Not if he were assaulted. That would get taken seriously.

If someone deliberately burnt me with a cigarette on the face, I'd be seeking prosecution for assault then sueing them for damages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Why do some Scots hate Irish people?

More to the point, why do some Irish believe in this fantasy Celtic unity shyte of Ireland, Scotland and Wales all being best mates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

greenflash wrote: »
    More to the point, why do some Irish believe in this fantasy Celtic unity shyte of Ireland, Scotland and Wales all being best mates?

Agreed, I would have a lot more time for the Englishman, then the Welshman.About 50% of the Scots I meet in Sweden are jazzholes. I frequent a pub in Stockholm and there is a group that meet to watch rugby that consists of 2 english,2 scots a saffa,.aussie a dub and a welshman.Anytime the Dub lad opens his mouth the 2 transvestites(jocks)belittle him on his accent, they are lowland scots, if that counts.

• Advertisement

Not if he were assaulted. That would get taken seriously.

If someone deliberately burnt me with a cigarette on the face, I'd be seeking prosecution for assault then sueing them for damages too.

Yep.

Report that.

Catch the bastards.

Sue the bastards.

Spend a year waiting for the case to get to court.

Take a week off work to sit throught the courtcase.

Watch as their free legal aid lawyers convince the judge that you were hassling them by mistaking them for bouncers because you were to drunk to notice the door of the nightclub was 25 metres away.

Listen to them describe how you went away to an ATM machine only to return later looking for more trouble off two lads who were only minding their own business.

Observe how they explain that you continued to pester them about being refused to a nightclub they had nothing to do with.

Watch your lawyer try and convince the judge that although you were drunk, it is your word against that of two innocent bystanders who know nothing about cigarette scars.

Listen to laughter all around as your lawyer explains that you were thinking of taking a case against the nightclub too for being refused entry on the grounds of sectarianism even though you were let in.

Then give your legal team a fat cheque when the judge dismisses the case as not proven, and put it down to experience and a bad night out.

Definitely report it to the police, it's quite likely illegal to refuse entry on grounds of nationality...

Good luck with that.

Yep.

Report that.

Catch the bastards.

Sue the bastards.

Spend a year waiting for the case to get to court.

Take a week off work to sit throught the courtcase.

Watch as their free legal aid lawyers convince the judge that you were hassling them by mistaking them for bouncers because you were to drunk to notice the door of the nightclub was 25 metres away.

Listen to them describe how you went away to an ATM machine only to return later looking for more trouble off two lads who were only minding their own business.

Observe how they explain that you continued to pester them about being refused to a nightclub they had nothing to do with.

Watch your lawyer try and convince the judge that although you were drunk, it is your word against that of two innocent bystanders who know nothing about cigarette scars.

Listen to laughter all around as your lawyer explains that you were thinking of taking a case against the nightclub too for being refused entry on the grounds of sectarianism even though you were let in.

Then give your legal team a fat cheque when the judge dismisses the case as not proven, and put it down to experience and a bad night out.

Good luck with that.

Yup and if we all just adopt a cynical attitude without even trying the scum will just overrun the place!

Sure why bother even reporting the odd stabbing?! Maybe even let the odd murder slip?

Bit of CCTV evidence handy, and the guy is in deep trouble.

Part of the problem in Ireland and Britian is people have completely lost faith in the justice system. It actually often does work, despite the assumptions.

Yup and if we all just adopt a cynical attitude without even trying the scum will just overrun the place!

Sure why bother even reporting the odd stabbing?! Maybe even let the odd murder slip?

Bit of CCTV evidence handy, and the guy is in deep trouble.

Part of the problem in Ireland and Britian is people have completely lost faith in the justice system. It actually often does work, despite the assumptions.

True.

So if the alledged assault was that serious, would you post on boards first to ask this question?
    Hi guys,

Should I report to the police, or will anything even come of it?

Don't you think the police would be the first port of call?

The OP obviously didn't think so as he said he carried on with his evening out and went the nightclub after his ordeal.

And then only posed the question of reporting it to the police on the internet afterwards.

Hardly what most people would do after an assault.

You should probably pick a better nightclub !

Why?

The alledged assault had nothing to do with the nightclub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

True.

So if the alledged assault was that serious, would you post on boards first to ask this question?

Don't you think the police would be the first port of call?

The OP obviously didn't think so as he said he carried on with his evening out and went the nightclub after his ordeal.

And then only posed the question of reporting it to the police on the internet afterwards.

Hardly what most people would do after an assault.

Why?

The alledged assault had nothing to do with the nightclub.

If the bouncers are happy enough to watch patrons being assaulted at the back entrance to the club then they you are probably at a **** hole.

SB2013 wrote: »
    If the bouncers are happy enough to watch patrons being assaulted at the back entrance to the club then they you are probably at a **** hole.

The OP wouldn't have been a patron at the time as the alledged assault took place 25 metres away from the entrance to the club before he got there. Chances are the doormen didn't even see the so called incident.

Yet was still happy enough to go in to the nightclub afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I hope you make a full recovery, seek medical attention and minimize chances of those burns scarring.

You got a free lesson last night, don't incapacitate yourself mentally and physically through drink and then present yourself friendless as an easy target for Scum to play with.

- On another night the story would have ended very badly and someone else would have written it up for you and the local papers......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Why'd you go back.
    If a bouncer (or perceived bouncer) tells me you're not coming in then ok whatever ... I'll take my money elsewhere. To return is futile (and below me).

Why people argue with the door I'll never know.
    A bouncer is never going to say 'hmm you make a good point, perhaps I was wrong and judged too quick, Im sorry, allow me'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

They view them as peasants. Certain Scots behave in such a way, similar to the loyalists in NI. The Irish were hated by many different cultures across the world, for instance Irish racism in the press, Thomas Nast with the monkey and beer portrayal in NYC, Punch magazine with the ape in a tattered suit and pig.

I'll explain first that's it's only an ignorant minority of Scots who think like this and even they are looked down upon as scum by other Scots, the funniest thing about it all is that there's McEwans guzzling, string vested retards with tatoos and yellowed teeth sat in their grotty Housing Scheme flats chomping on Fried Egg and Battered Mars Bar sandwiches who think THEY'RE the master race and we're scum ! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Personally I've never had a problem in Scotland - Edinburgh is a beautiful city but then again I've tended to avoid Glasgow which is known for sectarianism and thuggery.

And oddly enough the worst anti-Irish sectarianism from a Scottish person I've ever encountered was from a drunk, dog rough Glaswegian woman in Holland of all places, and even then I was able to argue to her that she shouldn't diss what she didn't obviously have a clue about. A lot of this crap is borne out of ignorance IMO.

No offence OP but I have a feeling there's a bit more to this than you're telling us. You must have been pretty inebriated to have gone back to confront those scumbags repeatedly.

Report it to the cops.

i think i might also have encountered that woman.was she working the bar in a cheap hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Glasgow can be even more sectarian than the North in some respects. Even in the North there's a tiny bit of respect because both sides know what they've been through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement