Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sectarian attack in the UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

And just for the uniniatiated, I guess 'The North' means Northern Ireland as opposed to the North (of England) where the Geordies live :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It's amazing how shocked people get when they find out that in reality not everybody has a fraternal love for Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

dd972 wrote: »
    I'll explain first that's it's only an ignorant minority of Scots who think like this and even they are looked down upon as scum by other Scots, the funniest thing about it all is that there's McEwans guzzling, string vested retards with tatoos and yellowed teeth sat in their grotty Housing Scheme flats chomping on Fried Egg and Battered Mars Bar sandwiches who think THEY'RE the master race and we're scum ! :pac::pac::pac:

Yeah typical Scot, Irn- Bru drinking, haggis eating, heroin injecting racist jocks. The only country with a bigger inferiority complex than Ireland.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Why do some Scots hate Irish people?
    Usual reasons.
    We we're "takin' their jawbs" for over 150 years.
    Particularly Irish immigrants from Donegal and Derry (which used to have daily ships to Scotland when times were bad)
    Hatred is passed down from Father to Son.
    A common chant in Scotland is...
    "The Famine's over, f#ck off home."

At heart is Scottish Protestant hatred/fear of Irish Catholicism and some kind of takeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Usual reasons.
    We we're "takin' their jawbs" for over 150 years.
    Particularly Irish immigrants from Donegal and Derry (which used to have daily ships to Scotland when times were bad)
    Hatred is passed down from Father to Son.
    A common chant in Scotland is...
    "The Famine's over, f#ck off home."

At heart is Scottish Protestant hatred/fear of Irish Catholicism and some kind of takeover.

Sorry to piss on your chips but between a quarter and a third of Irish immigration to Scotland in the late 19th-early 20th century was Protestant.

The reality is a lot more complex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

pmcmahon wrote:
    It's amazing how shocked people get when they find out that in reality not everybody has a fraternal love for Irish people.

Sounds to me like the OP was minding his own business and simply trying to gain entry to a club. It has nothing to do with "fraternal love for Irish people". Lets say a Scottish tourist here got assaulted by some cretin because of their accent - would you simply brush it off as being down to not everyone having a love of the Scottish or the actions of a simple minded scumbag who should have been terminated at birth?

DarkJager wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the OP was minding his own business and simply trying to gain entry to a club. It has nothing to do with "fraternal love for Irish people". Lets say a Scottish tourist here got assaulted by some cretin because of their accent - would you simply brush it off as being down to not everyone having a love of the Scottish or the actions of a simple minded scumbag who should have been terminated at birth?

I think if the O.P was a foreigner who was attacked in Dublin, or a gay punched because of his sexuality, there's have been a lot more sympathy for him.
    The gist of most of the posts was that he had it coming for not being a good Croppy, doffing the cap and walking away when racially insulted.

Your unfortunate OP, you met two morons. Dont let a bad experience with two of lifes losers get you down and then make false assumptions on the psyche of Scottish people.
    Learn when to walk away and say 'fcuk this for a game of soldiers'.

Your lucky as like the majority of us you have two eyeballs but when they are gone im afraid they dont grow back so walk away and hold onto them a while longer.

I had bad experiences on nights out in small towns in Ireland but i would hate if genuine decent people from abroad were unlucky enough to bump into this dirt and assume that all Irish were like those wastages of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

LordSutch wrote: »
    And just for the uniniatiated, I guess 'The North' means Northern Ireland as opposed to the North (of England) where the Geordies live :))
    over here, 'the north' is very often formaly and unformaly used to define not only the furtherest north; like newcastle,but also the NW to and not far off the midlands/eg birmingham to.
    'the south' is then used to describe every where else.
    its weird shit.

Sorry to piss on your chips but between a quarter and a third of Irish immigration to Scotland in the late 19th-early 20th century was Protestant.

The reality is a lot more complex.
    You haven't pissed on my chips.
    The anti-Irish feeling in Scotland throughout the 1800's right up to modern days had a distinct religious element to it.
    Likewise in America.
    They were seen as Papists, superstitious, and not proper Christians
    That can't be denied.
    Religion was the main driving force behind the outbreaks of anti Irish hatred in the 18th and 19th century in both Britian and the U.S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Hi guys,

I was on a night out in Edinburgh city center tonight with some friends. I went to enter a night club alone after my friends, and upon seeing a man standing beside a door into this club I asked him if he was a bouncer and if I could enter. He then asked if I was Irish, to which I replied yes, and then he told me I was not welcome. I questioned this, and then he asked if I wanted trouble. I replied 'no, I just want to go into the club', to which he responded 'you Irish are not welcome'. I asked if my refusal of entry was just down to my nationality, and was told yes. I left and went to an atm and returned 5mins later. I again tried to enter, and asked if my refusal was due to being Irish. I was told yes by the man beside the door. He was smoking, and attempted to stab me in the eye with his ciggarette, missing by about 2cm. I persisted questioning him, only for a friend of his to arrive and tell me to '**** off Irish'. The first man attempted to stab my eye with his ciggarette again, with both attempts leaving visible burn marks on my face, and his friend then punched me in the face twice. At this point I went to leave the street, and realised that the two men were not bouncers. The bouncers were about 25m away and stood at another door which entered into the club in question, and allowed me entry, but refused to deal with the attacker despite seeing the offence (which is fair enough, its not their job).

Basically I'm pretty damn pissed off about attacked just for being Irish, and would like to know what the best course of action is. Should I report to the police, or will anything even come of it? I live in Edinburgh atm, but will be moving back to Ireland in 2 weeks and don't know if there is any point reporting this. It may sound trivial, but tbh I would be nervous about going out in Scotland again after this incident and am worried about permanent scars as the cigarettes were pressed against my skin for long enough to properly burn. I'd like to take some action but is it worth the effort? I dont know if there was cctv in the location of the attack, but surely the scars are evidence enough?

Any particular reason you didnt punch them back?

Secondly, why go back to someone who clearly wanted a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,520 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Were you in a wheelchair by any chance ?

Was that the first time that you tried to get into a club? You dont ask anyone if they are bouncers and can you get in and argue when you are refused. Once you get told NO then you have no chance of getting in. The first rule of self defence is to avoid conflict and walk or runaway when possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭FreshTendrils

Don't take it too personally OP, 'Irish' people have been in that place for 150+ years and they still haven't been accepted.It is unquestionably the most anti Irish country in the world and slowly but surely Irish people are starting to wise up and see beyond the veneer.

The only chance of me ever finding myself in Scotland is if my plane gets diverted there in an emergency en route to a country that i would actually want to visit.

As the tourism ad goes "Scotland might suprise you".From the numerous anecdotes i've heard from hopelessly naive Irish visitors,it certainly did and not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,324 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If you were refused due to the colour of your skin, the reactions would be a whole lot different.

Your nationality? "Shure you'll be grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think I'm a bit evil because I find the idea of the OP asking two generic scumbags if they'd let him into a club down the road really funny!
    Even though there is a little racism and sectarianism in Scotland (mostly in Glasgow and small places on the East coast), these two guys were probably just pricks who would've taken the piss out of anyone, of any nationality, in your situation. If you were French they would've said "No French, pish off!!"
    Don't take it too personally OP, 'Irish' people have been in that place for 150+ years and they still haven't been accepted.It is unquestionably the most anti Irish country in the world and slowly but surely Irish people are starting to wise up and see beyond the veneer.

The only chance of me ever finding myself in Scotland is if my plane gets diverted there in an emergency en route to a country that i would actually want to visit.

As the tourism ad goes "Scotland might suprise you".From the numerous anecdotes i've heard from hopelessly naive Irish visitors,it certainly did and not in a good way.

Nonsense. Of course there's anti-Irish sentiment among some knuckle-draggers there, but they're a small minority. I lived there for a year and never encountered any negativity because of my accent. Quite the opposite in fact.

It's telling that you've never been there and are basing your opinion on anecdotes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 jim_beam

pmcmahon wrote: »

bit of a difference between being indifferent to the people of this small island ( ive no problem with that ) and having a deep seated irrational dislike towards a nation and its people

a lot of people in this country dont seem to realise it but outside certain parts of northern ireland , nowhere on earth will you find more ill feeling towards irish people ( specifically catholic irish ) than in scotland and its not just limited to glasgow as appears to be the recieved wisdom , i had a middle managment boss from the borders while working down under over a decade ago , the level of unconditional hatred from this person was a sight to behold , the viscious bilge which flowed from their caustic tongue was truly frightening

some try and explain the phenomenon of anti catholicism in scotland back to the time of mass immigration to scotland over a century ago but this simply doesnt wash , many other places in the uk ( let alone the rest of the world ) experienced inflows of poor irish people yet the issue of sectarianism was in the happeny place compared to scotland , NO!, the reason for anti catholicism in scotland is down to the particular protestant denomination which the vast majority of scots follow or at least are nominally alligned with

anti catholicism is the cornerstone of presbyterianism and most protestants in scotland belong to this denomination , most protestants in england are anglican and most welsh are methodist , this indoctrination inevitabley trickles down to every aspect of a countries political and social infrastructure

scotland is a beautifull place to look at it but like the evil king in braveheart said , the trouble is its " full of scots "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

pmcmahon wrote: »

The English can't understand why they're not loved up there either :

From the Telegraph:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9737918/Record-number-of-racist-attacks-on-English-in-Scotland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Having lived in Scotland for long enough now, if you encounter this ****, just say "why would I care what YOU think of the Irish?" and go the other way.
    Its rare but I have experienced it.

somefeen wrote: »
    Having lived in Scotland for long enough now, if you encounter this ****, just say "why would I care what YOU think of the Irish?" and go the other way.
    Its rare but I have experienced it.

that most people have is evidence enough that its a real phenomenon in that country , ive never experienced it from any other nationality , ive been on the other end of banter from a few nationalitys but thats wholey different and perfectly cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭FreshTendrils

It's telling that you've never been there and are basing your opinion on anecdotes.

And personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Have to agree, Stayed in Western Scotland the local Loyalists attacked our hotel, it was so bad we could not leave the hotel. Not safe at all. Irish people need to wise up when it comes to Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....good to see we're all avoiding stereotyping.

btw , im not anti british , ive always gotten on great with english and welsh people , i especially love the north of england , cumbria is one of my favourite places in the world

Nodin wrote: »
    ....good to see we're all avoiding stereotyping.

are you ever off , your like a live version of lisa simpson :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Solair wrote: »
    The English can't understand why they're not loved up there either :

Some Scots dislike of the English is like some of the English's dislike of the French, one side's preoccupied with it and the other couldn't care less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

I have always found the Scottish very nice people. Quite tolerant considering a million poor Irish people immigrated to Glasgow, set up their own ghettoes and football club, raised the flag of a foreign country and regularly chanted IRA songs. One of them cjoked once that at least when Pakistanis immigrate to London they do not form their own soccer club and fly the Pakistani flag and chant Al Quaida songs ! Great banter. Apart from that no Scottish person ever said anything to me and was always sound enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

OP should try being an Englishman wanting a pint in parts of Dublin, Limerick or Miltown Malbay. I've had trouble in all three of those just for having ordered My pint with an English accent.

true wrote: »
    I have always found the Scottish very nice people. Quite tolerant considering a million poor Irish people immigrated to Glasgow, set up their own ghettoes and football club, raised the flag of a foreign country and regularly chanted IRA songs. One of them cjoked once that at least when Pakistanis immigrate to London they do not form their own soccer club and fly the Pakistani flag and chant Al Quaida songs ! Great banter. Apart from that no Scottish person ever said anything to me and was always sound enough.

the irish who emmigrated to scotland around the time of the famine and up to the begining of the twentieth century were ( at the time ) simply moving to another part of their own country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

true wrote: »

And Irish people are quite tolerant considering all the land grabbing, the destruction of native culture etc etc.
    Both those things are in the past and shouldn't be relevant to how you view anyone in this day and age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement