Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC On Fuel TV 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The question was more about how much (or how little) he was earning previously. There is a full thread below about cowboy organisations not paying fighters so this is a perfectly valid topic of discussion.

My comment was more about being quite surprised a Cage Warriors champ in two divisions could be making so little money that he would be on the dole. It is great to see Conor has finally made it big time and is being paid his due by a decent organisation.

Even though he was a champ in two weight classes, I'd doubt he was making anywhere near enough to live on. That'd be pretty standard across the board in mma at that level. Most fighters will have to keep a second job or claim benefits just to survive.
    Sure there have been lots of fighters still keeping a second job right up until their 3rd or 4th fight in the UFC. They have to.
    At a low level in the UFC, fighters would only be getting paid about 6k per fight (plus a win bonus). If they only fight maybe twice or three times per year, that's not enough to survive on when you factor in training costs, travel costs, fight camp expenses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

El Guapo! wrote: »
    If they only fight maybe twice or three times per year, that's not enough to survive on when you factor in training costs, travel costs, fight camp expenses etc.

You'd be cutting it close nevermind training costs, travel costs and fight camp expenses wouldn't you? We're talking say $12-18k pre-tax, converted to (very roughly) €10-€15k

You'd be cutting it close nevermind training costs, travel costs and fight camp expenses wouldn't you? We're talking say $12-18k pre-tax, converted to (very roughly) €10-€15k

Exactly. It's not till you make a name for yourself and start to move up the rankings that you start earning decent enough money to live on and use fighting as your only source of income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Exactly. It's not till you make a name for yourself and start to move up the rankings that you start earning decent enough money to live on and use fighting as your only source of income.

Or in Connor's case, win a fight bonus or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Or in Connor's case, win a fight bonus or two!

With those kinda wins he'll be making a killing :pac: .... In bonus payments of course!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yep. That's the part that sickens me.
    Mma is hardly an underground sport anymore and yet our media never shows any interest unless its negative.
    But you can guarantee that if Conor wins a UFC belt, the media will jump on the bandwagon and be licking his hole and praising him as one of Ireland's greatest sports stars. Yet they couldn't care less about it at the minute. It's a joke.

Absolutely also they covered WWE wrestler Seamus in various Irish media when he won a title that was scripted and fail to cover legitimate achievements then feckin scandalous.

Even though he was a champ in two weight classes, I'd doubt he was making anywhere near enough to live on. That'd be pretty standard across the board in mma at that level. Most fighters will have to keep a second job or claim benefits just to survive.
    Sure there have been lots of fighters still keeping a second job right up until their 3rd or 4th fight in the UFC. They have to.
    At a low level in the UFC, fighters would only be getting paid about 6k per fight (plus a win bonus). If they only fight maybe twice or three times per year, that's not enough to survive on when you factor in training costs, travel costs, fight camp expenses etc.

Its a real shame that it is so tough for young fighters, im delighted that Conor got the knock-out bonus and with his interviews and general media attention I have a feeling he'll have no shortage of sponsors from now on.

Its a real shame that it is so tough for young fighters, im delighted that Conor got the knock-out bonus and with his interviews and general media attention I have a feeling he'll have no shortage of sponsors from now on.

Yeah I have no doubt there'll be sponsors banging his door down to sign him up. He's very quickly making a name for himself and everyone wants to be on the McGregor train.
    Last week, nobody knew who Conor was. Just take a look at any of the mma websites today and his face is plastered all over them. The whole mma world has stood up and took notice of him. Everyone sees the potential in him and its really exciting times for irish mma.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My housemate is the typical ignoramus who always considered MMA "a bit too gay". He had never heard of Conor until two days ago when he found a random link to the weigh-in staredown.

Yesterday, after the win, I ran into the kitchen and told him "Remember I mentioned the Irish guy who was fighting in the UFC? Well, he just won". From there, he started asking more questions, then watched the Buchinger and Hill fights on youtube.

I think he may suddenly be an MMA fan now, thanks to Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Out of interest, what was his purse for the fight?

• Advertisement

Andy-Pandy wrote: »

I don't think that info has been released yet. It normally is released within a couple of days of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    6000 show and 6000 win bonus is the usual for the first fight on the contract i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Niall0 wrote: »
    6000 show and 6000 win bonus is the usual for the first fight on the contract i think

Depends on what the fighter did before. Its usually 8,000 but im guessing he would have 16,000 basic because of his previous success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

left MTB out of the equation coz he's been out for ages nearly a year now... don't know what the status with him is right now. Would be a good name to fight deffo.

I think Mcgregor could walk into the cage next week and take out a top 10 guy. I'm just narrowing down the likely match ups. I genuinely think they'll match him with somebody taller next and I doubt they'll give him a top 10 or a straight up wrestler and there's tons of match ups made already which puts a load of guys out of the equation so given the roster they have right now I'd say it's one of those 8 I mentioned... or MTB. They could shock us all though and throw him in with top drawer guy who knows. He's capable of beating almost anyone on his day from the evidence we have IMO... his striking is that good. I don't want to put the mocklers on him and start talkin top division guys yet.... as he says he just wants to be kept busy and get into things and take each one as it comes, he's broken the ice now... well more like smashed through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

How about a match up with the Korean Zombie, Jung Chan-Sung. That would be amazing to watch. Maybe too soon, but it would be some fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Reading some american forums McGregor is going down well talk of him V the Korean Zombie is mentioned alot.

Oh and he being compared a Irsh Diaz Brother:pac:

I hope he gets as much as he can out of this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

as much warrior in him as a Diaz... but less emotion in the fight.... and less retardedityness

HAHAHAH love the kid breakin down the fight hahahaha that's gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Keep rewatching THE fight, absolutely brilliant. I checked RTE news/sport and not a sign of this, stupid bastards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Keep rewatching THE fight, absolutely brilliant. I checked RTE news/sport and not a sign of this, stupid bastards!!

rte probably still think of MMA as "cage fighting between animals with no rules"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

rte probably still think of MMA as "cage fighting between animals with no rules"

Jaysus can't be having any of that bloodsport UFC on 6 1!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I checked RTE news/sport and not a sign of this, stupid bastards!!

That's so ridiculously mental it's actually angering me now as I type this.

ok slow the horses there.... I see RTE sport have an interview with Pendred from recently enough so maybe they're ya know.. off for the weekend.... sure it'll be up there tomorrow first thing! Let's give them the benefit of the doubt!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/search/?q=MMA

What IS unforgivable is the Irish stupid Times.... they have a sports tweet feed on the right hand side of their sports page

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports

and right through yesterday and today there's tweets firing left right and center bout Golf and Rugby and GAA and feckin tiddlywinks and not ONE SINGLE MENTION of McGregors feats. Now I'm angry again.

Prepare yourself Irish Times for the wrath of my email.

Annoying though - of course they heard about it, they have to have they're permanently clued into international sports results right through the weekend... no way they didn't hear and no way they didn't make a clear choice NOT to post anything on it. Stuck up their own arses !

email sent...

This the page - not a peep about it

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport

This the email if anyone wants to add their voice

Online Sports Editor
    Noel O'Reilly
    noreilly@irishtimes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

email sent...

This the page - not a peep about it

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport

This the email if anyone wants to add their voice

Online Sports Editor
    Noel O'Reilly
    noreilly@irishtimes.com

If I were you, I'd let them go to work on Monday morning first

My cousin works for them and just posted his article on China/North Korea so although I know what you mean in the case of the Irish Times they are busy right through the weekend as is evident by at least 10 sport articles posted today alone and hundreds of tweets right through the weekend.... they should be all over this with a photo and small article clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Conor will be onTheMMA Hour again this week. The momentum continues

Advertisement