Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC On Fuel TV 9

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

John_D80 wrote: »
    I've found a site with a good quality stream of the main card. Am I risking a ban if I post it? Mods?

Yup. I'm sure the mods won't know if people PM you asking for the link though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I've found a site with a good quality stream of the main card. Am I risking a ban if I post it? Mods?

Don't PM's are wonderful things..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

dave1982 wrote: »
    Have they ever before?

No is the answer so yes it is a shocker.

I know the sites to stay away from until I see a MMA event I wan't to watch.

has there ever been an Irish guy in the UFC with this amount of hype behind him? Who dismantled his opponent in such devastating fashion the world stood up and took notice? No is the answer. So it's no shocker at all that they posted about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Replaying McGregor Vs Brimmage on the main event show in a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Conor's fight is next on fueltv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

conor678 wrote: »
    Any one have any idea what channel the main event is on on?

Sorry you missed it, conor won

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm only home now and missed the McGregor fight but I caught it online a min ago. Delighted he won. The skies the limit for him now.

Pearson vs Couture. Spoiler tags for the guys watching on espn.
    Delighted. Ross is one of my favourite fighters. Really measured and patient display from him. And a great finish. Possible KOoTN?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Possible KOoTN?

hope not

• Advertisement

Dave 101 wrote: »
    hope not

Agreed but its a possiblity.

This may make the sport a lot more popular over here.
    I just really really hope the media cover the fight tomorrow and do it justice. It'd be nice to get this sort of exposure for the sport in mainstream media for once.

My picks for the awards:

FOTN:
    Pickett v Easton

SOTN:
    Madadi

KOOTN:
    McGregor

My picks for the awards:

FOTN:
    Pickett v Easton

SOTN:
    Madadi

KOOTN:
    McGregor

3 outta 3!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

McGregor gets the bonus, 60k also is the first fighter name Dana mentions at the press conference, and the first fighter to answer journalist questions.

This is proof enough there the man has made himself noticed

In an interview on Fuel TV, Dana all but confirmed Mcgregor for the Boston Card (August isn't it?) and a future UFC event in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mcgregor at the press conference asked something along the lines of does that rank up there with your best fights he responded "It does ya UFC debut, 60g's bonus before this I was on 188 euros dole I dunno what the f*ck is goin' on". Fair play to him gave a good impression outside the octagon as he did in it hes gonna bring the UFC back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Delighted he got the bonus, makes such a difference, not just the money but the prestige.
    What a debut!
    Dyin to see who they put him in with next.... time for some UFC site surfin

They've got 57 FW guys on the books. Some are booked, some are injured, too hot, too cold, he needs a Goldilocks match up! You could narrow down who they'll think about matching him up with for Boston to a few lads I reckon. They'll give him a stand up striker next IMO. He's a commodity to them now so they won't want to rush him to the top 5 guys but they will need to give him another tough fight and see how Notorious he can really become.

Who wants in with McGregor after that? You're lookin at another mid tier FW guy I reckon, guys with 3 or more fights coming off a win, guys probably taller than Brimage, prob not a pure wrestler after Brimage either.. matter of narrowing it down.

His willingness to stay just on the edge of the pocket while Brimage was hay making, using that wide stance leaning back inviting Brimage into his trap with his hands low and wide and then finding that chin with a couple of sharp counter uppercuts and most importantly cashing in instantly with a finish, no hesitation at all - saw the opening and killed him! It's a great recipe if ya can do it, takes absolute commitment and trust in your own skill level and sometimes it's not justified but in this case it clearly is. Hope he continues to stick with that style and takes guys head on like that and beats them to the punch. Dana knows it's a great style to watch, it's a bit Anderson Silva, it's a bit Jon Jones but it's all Conor Mcgregor !

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Delighted he got the bonus!!it makes it a great nights work for him and now gives him another fight in hopefully a few months!he looked very sharp and was seriously prepared for the fight, well done Conor and you did Ireland very proud tonight,time for Dana to bring the ufc back to the 02

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Here's a list of 145 lb UFC guys who are not booked after May, outside of the top 10 and who may fit the bill for Boston.. IMO

Andy Ogle - coimin off win in Feb not booked 5’9’’

Yaotzin Meza - Comin off loss to Chad mendes in Dec - too long a wait prob.

Rony Mariano Bezerra -Comin off two straight UFC wins not booked but possibly too long a wait to August - Jujitsu guy

Kurt Holobaugh - Striker tall – 5’11 – great cardio non stop… booked for April so could fight again august… if he wins he’s a possibility

Hatsu Hioki - 2-2 in UFC. last fight lost to Guida… not booked hasn’t fought since Jan. 5’11’ well rounded with good subs

Matt Grice - 2 wins 5 losses in UFC 5’8’’ …. In his second UFC run.. experienced. Comin off loss to Bermudez…. Not booked yet. Just fought on the Rousey card. But he’s another wrestler so unlikely IMO.

Pablo Garza - Lost to Brandao last night but had beaten Hominick before that is tall and a striker so?? Possibility… would be considered a tough fight. Is now 3-3 in the UFC. Decent scalp!

Akira Corassani - Just won tonight giving him a 2-0 in UFC record
    14-4 overall record, well rounded fighter
    This could be the guy IMO – 2 wins in his first 2 UFC fights – fought same night as Conor – very credible, tough and well rounded, good record – I’d bet this is the guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Had to be blunt and to the point but I got Dana to praise Conor, I'm sure he would have anyway but still.

Great event , going to be remembered in a few tears when a belt is being put around his waist.

before this I was on 188 euros dole I dunno what the f*ck is goin' on".

I would have thought he would be making enough income from Cage Warriors, sponsors and classes not to qualify for the dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I would have thought he would be making enough income from Cage Warriors, sponsors and classes not to qualify for the dole?

State Benefits Forum for those questions please, lets stick to MMA in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

And yet you look at rte.ie today and this event that has gripped so many irish sports fans never happened

peteeeed wrote: »
    And yet you look at rte.ie today and this event that has gripped so many irish sports fans never happened

Yep. That's the part that sickens me.
    Mma is hardly an underground sport anymore and yet our media never shows any interest unless its negative.
    But you can guarantee that if Conor wins a UFC belt, the media will jump on the bandwagon and be licking his hole and praising him as one of Ireland's greatest sports stars. Yet they couldn't care less about it at the minute. It's a joke.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Yep. That's the part that sickens me.
    Mma is hardly an underground sport anymore and yet our media never shows any interest unless its negative.
    But you can guarantee that if Conor wins a UFC belt, the media will jump on the bandwagon and be licking his hole and praising him as one of Ireland's greatest sports stars. Yet they couldn't care less about it at the minute. It's a joke.

Don't let it sicken you buddy, our day will come!.

Its not that long ago that I was ridiculed on this forum for encouraging people to follow and support Irish MMA, in fairness I was probably brow beating people to death with it however that being the case few followed it.

Now I smile and think back to the days of Ring of Truth, and when I cornered for Stewart Edgeworth and we were told we'd be thrown out of AKAI if we continued to associate with MMA ~ serious!.

Conors win is great for Irish MMA, that goes without saying. I was amazed at the amount of people asking me about him and MMA in the bar last night.

Brilliant and well done Conor and each and every one of his SBG team mates.

State Benefits Forum for those questions please, lets stick to MMA in this one.

The question was more about how much (or how little) he was earning previously. There is a full thread below about cowboy organisations not paying fighters so this is a perfectly valid topic of discussion.

My comment was more about being quite surprised a Cage Warriors champ in two divisions could be making so little money that he would be on the dole. It is great to see Conor has finally made it big time and is being paid his due by a decent organisation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is there any word of it in the newspapers though? I think they would be a better gauge of interest than RTE,Ireland were beating teams in the cricket world cup as massive underdogs and RTE were trying their best not to acknowledge it, so I wouldn't rely on what they report.

The question was more about how much (or how little) he was earning previously. There is a full thread below about cowboy organisations not paying fighters so this is a perfectly valid topic of discussion.

My comment was more about being quite surprised a Cage Warriors champ in two divisions could be making so little money that he would be on the dole. It is great to see Conor has finally made it big time and is being paid his due by a decent organisation.

Ok I get you, but fighters purses and sponsorship deals have been discussed at length in other threads, dole payments haven't and we don't discuss them here. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Is there any word of it in the newspapers though? I think they would be a better gauge of interest than RTE,Ireland were beating teams in the cricket world cup as massive underdogs and RTE were trying their best not to acknowledge it, so I wouldn't rely on what they report.

I seen a report on breakingnews.ie yesterday but haven't heard anything about the printed medai, but I'm too scabby to buy newspapers anyway :P

Advertisement