Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Mackerel thread 2018 - reports, queries and chat

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Kids are at me to go fishing. I have not fished in a good few years. I'm thinking of heading to greystones pier. Will I have any luck with some mackerel feathers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Kids are at me to go fishing. I have not fished in a good few years. I'm thinking of heading to greystones pier. Will I have any luck with some mackerel feathers?

Try it and see. Nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Kavo59

is it a waste of time going for mackerel on a tide going out?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Kavo59 wrote: »
    is it a waste of time going for mackerel on a tide going out?

Depends on the location and time of day. I've caught most of mine over 2 hours after the tide has turned this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Plenty in Dun Laoghaire now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

anything in cobh lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Want to know the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Plenty in Dun Laoghaire now.

From shore or boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

dave1982 wrote: »
    anything in cobh lads?

I heard there was Bonito Tuna spotted outside the harbour there a few days ago and plenty mackerel being caught off the boats.

Behind the train station is always a good spot with the coming tide.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I heard there was Bonito Tuna spotted outside the harbour there a few days ago and plenty mackerel being caught off the boats.

Behind the train station is always a good spot with the coming tide.

I have been down a few times during high tide but there don't seem to no one really fishing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

davycc wrote: »
    From shore or boat?

A guy in the tackle shop in Dun Laoghaire said there's plenty from the East pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have been down a few times during high tide but there don't seem to no one really fishing

Not trying to be smart Dave but if there's no one fishing then there are not going to be any caught.

If you're there anyway shur you might as well have a cast for an hour or two and try.

The more often you try the better chance you have, no matter if your on your own or surrounded by other anglers.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

anything in cobh lads?

Nothing much. Seems a few catching but only one or two fish caught after an evening of casting.

davycc wrote: »
    From shore or boat?

Shore, west pier on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bazrushe

Hi all

Thinking of going sea fishing around the sligo area,Aughris head,Mullaghmore off the rocks.Anyone know any good spots to go to catch mackerel.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Max Carroll

Last few day in Dunlaoighre have been terrible. Week before was ok.
    Something has changed this year.

LAst few days, hardly a thing caught at the end of the west pier, on the outside, people are reeling in tiny fish, some very small mackerel.

Has anyone got the watercraft to explain? There seems to be a decent amount to be caught offshore. Wonder have their habits changed a bit and thewy are not coming close in the numbers they used to, or maybe the Spanish are getting them first? Or maybe its a weather thing?! (pressure etc.)

Anyone got any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

The massive super trawlers from Scotland Spain and Lithuania are trawling them up 500 tonnes per trawl. How could there be any left.......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

cd07 wrote: »
    The massive super trawlers from Scotland Spain and Lithuania are trawling them up 500 tonnes per trawl. How could there be any left.......?

Yep. If the catch 600 tones by accident they will throw 100 tonnes of dead fish back into see as they can't be over the catch limit.

Same goes for Atlantic Salmon, yet the man with a single rod and line gets all the flak.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

My biggest catch so far, got it all on video! What do you guys think? Should I have kept it?

Yep. If the catch 600 tones by accident they will throw 100 tonnes of dead fish back into see as they can't be over the catch limit.

Yep watched a whole documentary about recently. They're trawling the mackerel in winter when they're all together in vast shoals. Its fish in the barrel kinda stuff....there won't be any mackerel in years to come and the knock on effect of that will be catastrophic

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Max Carroll

Jebus, 100 tonnes dumped. that is so wrong.

Yeah well the trend continues. Not going back to DL now while it is like this.
    Dublin isn't great in general, but I feed the family with macks and pollack, so I truly hate this trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

I was fishing in a boat on Galway bay yesterday. Between three people we only got 5 mackerel in 3 hours. They seem really scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dgamblerbob

Was in dunlicky(castle point) kilkee off d rocks, yesterday ,caught 40 in 3 hours between two of us,big enough,local lad said it was best day so far this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Went out fishing on a boat off Helvick last Saturday. Between 7 of us we caught about 120/130 in 3 hours. I myself caught 25/30. Was a beautiful day and great fun! A lot of them were massive. Could barely squeeze them into freezer bags!

I've had some really big ones taking baits on flappers and pulley rigs off the bottom in Wicklow recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

Any amount of them in Ardglass harbour county down. Big ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Serious Power

I've had some really big ones taking baits on flappers and pulley rigs off the bottom in Wicklow recently.

Hi,
    Where in Wicklow is good from the shore ??

Brian

The piers in the harbour were both showing good catches last time I was down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Serious Power

Hi,
    Thanks.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The prom in Galway was bubbling with mackerel this evening.surface was bubbling on the section directly opposite the front door of sea point at the car park and very few people fishing it. I hadn’t the rod and tackle with me.ive fished it before and it needs a quick retrieve due to weeds and fish high in the water. If you sink the tackle to the bottom you will snag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement